Lets build a long rifle

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Lets build a long rifle

Postby Mini SASS on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Hey Guys/Gals, I'm thinking about building an AR. I'm fairly new at the gun hobby, trade. So, I need help with the build and where to get the parts along with prices. I would like the AR to be black and tan mixed. Caliber .308 but I would be ok with a 5.56. I'm looking to build an AR that looks like art but is also badass. What scope would you use?

I want to build to save money. But, I have a question... If you order all the parts necessary to build an AR and have them shipped to a FFL at $25 for each part, that can add up fast. So, how do you get around that?

Ok, so, if you were to build an AR given the details I provided above. How would you build a badass AR on a budget? I know a budget is relative, but humor me. :) If you can provide pics, perfect! Please provide prices and web sites I can get the parts from. Thanks!
Mini SASS

Re: Lets build a long rifle

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:41 pm

having never built an AR, i can't really offer advice. i CAN say, however, that the Trijicon ACOG is probably the most badass of all scopes. the model with a Docter Optic red dot mounted on top is even MORE badass.

now that i got that outta my system, if you want to BUILD it, and i mean TRUELY BUILD it, all you need to get from an FFL is the lower reciever. you can get a LPK (lower parts kit), upper reciever, BGC, stock, optics, barrel, flash suppressor, iron sights, magazines, ammunition and anything else your gonna need/want delivered to your door! however, make damn sure that it's insured when shipped, cuz the FedEX guys aren't gentle and sometimes leave things sitting on doorsteps (i've had a few things "delivered" that never made it into my hands because of neighborhood kids with sticky fingers. if it happened to a gun, gun parts, or anything of real value, i'd be going door to door with the Po Po)
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby shooter115 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Best advice I can give is go to http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_AR_15.html
shooter115

Postby JJ on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:43 am

ANyone with half a brain and $500 can throw together an AR in 5.56. It's not rocket science. The only part that will need to go through an FFL transfer is your lower receiver. The rest can be shipped to your door.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Mini SASS on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:35 am

JJ wrote:ANyone with half a brain and $500 can throw together an AR in 5.56. It's not rocket science. The only part that will need to go through an FFL transfer is your lower receiver. The rest can be shipped to your door.

Where would someone get the parts to build one for $500? Most of the uppers are about $400 and a complete lower is about $270. Not to mention guards, sights, ect.
Mini SASS

Postby JJ on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:37 am

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Mini SASS on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 am

JJ wrote:http://palmettostatearmory.com/9005.php

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=53
add transfer and you come in right around 550

Thanks for the links. The kit costs $580 for the M4 and that doesn't include a lower. The other link was a stripped lower for $60. And I missing something?
Mini SASS

Postby JJ on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 am

Mini SASS wrote:
JJ wrote:http://palmettostatearmory.com/9005.php

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=53
add transfer and you come in right around 550

Thanks for the links. The kit costs $580 for the M4 and that doesn't include a lower. The other link was a stripped lower for $60. And I missing something?

The Magpul kit is 580. The basic setup is $480 wait until palemtto has sales (frequently) and their lowers will be $50. Also the basic build I liked sometimes goes on sale for 450.

Plenty more uppers here cheap. http://www.jsesurplus.com/custom223.aspx
JJ

Postby Erud on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:06 am

Just so I'm clear on your "build" project, specs are:

- AR
- Black and tan mixed
- .308 or .223
- Looks like art
- Is bad ass
- On a budget

Sounds like you really know what you want, should be a great build!
Erud

Postby photogpat on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:26 am

I think I built my last AR pistol for less than $500.

As JJ said -- watch AIM or Palmetto for their lowers to go on sale -- transfer through Burnsville Pistol ($20 FFL). Watch the lower parts kits either at AIM or elsewhere -- if you did that right, your complete lower build (plus shipping) should be less than $150.

Then just watch for complete uppers, either here or Armslist or one of the numerous online retails. JSE Surplus frequently has "blemished" complete uppers for cheap cheap...$325-350 upper plus shipping puts your total build out less than $500.

After you have your rifle complete, swap out parts as you can afford them. Trigger package, furniture, upper, rails, optic, etc...

Good luck!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Shipyard on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:41 am

blaster AR = cheap

tacticool AR (as what you refer to as "art") = expensive.

not much of a way aroudn all that.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby rugersol on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:53 am

IMO, ya can get a decent (assembled, but not bbl'd) upper receiver fer not much over $100 ... also decent BCG fer not much over $100 ... free-float handguard $50 - $100+ ... gas-block $30 - $60 ... tube $15 ... comp $30 - $100+ ... latch $20+ ... that makes a purdy nice complete upper fer around $420 - $500.

Ya can piece together a lower purdy cheap ... but it's almost impossible to do that, without upgrading the stock, grip, and/or trigger ... so, as a starting point, this is purdy good fer $270 (add $20 'er so fer shipping and 'nother $20 fer FFL) ...

As was mentioned, ya can always swap stuff out ... the big hitters, stock, grip, and trigger, are purdy easy ... prices vary wildly. Fer the money, I'd jest piece together the upper to start with ... much bigger PITA the replace some of them things, too ... kinda nice to jest do it "right" the first time. ;)

That's all 5.56, 'course ... .308 bein' quite a bit more.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby goatroper on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:03 am

I am also in the middle of my first build. Got a few items I wanted (including my Spikes lower) and LOTS of ideas at this shop
up in Becker MN. http://www.elementarms.com/ Hope this helps.
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Postby goatroper on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 am

double post, sorry
Last edited by goatroper on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Postby ScatterGun4015 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Yes....you can build one for about 500. I tried doing that and ended up around 1300. Like Rugersol said, its just better to do it right the first time. get everything you want on the rfle the first time instead of building a base AR and replacing the parts that you just put on it down the road for more money out of pocket. JJ recommended Palmetto Arms. Great company with a good product. cant go wrong there. If you want the fancy tan furniture down the road....its just more money ;)
Stradawhovious wrote:
So rather than just being chased by a zombie, you are now being chased by one in that's engulfed in flames? No thanks.

BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!
ScatterGun4015

Next

Return to General Gun Chat