Disappointed in Wounded Warrior Project

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:03 am

I think the Wounded Warrior Project does great work for our veterans, but in looking into a way to running a WWP event I came across this:

"When organizing a fundraiser or event to benefit Wounded Warrior Project™ (WWP), please bear in mind we do not support any fundraiser that is of a sexual, political, religious nature, or exchange of firearms or alcohol."

Surprising, and disappointing. No firearms raffles? I wonder why.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Re: Disappointed in Wounded Warrior Project

Postby DeanC on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 am

I'll drink to that.... :oops:
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 am

Well, I'm not going to exchange or share my alcohol with anyone, so apparently I'm good to go!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby plink on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Squib Joe wrote:please bear in mind we do not support any fundraiser that is of a sexual, political, religious nature, or exchange of firearms or alcohol."

Since any of those things can get very political, cause arguments, and lower attendance, they probably would rather forego it all and keep the focus on the task at hand. Their sole purpose is supporting the troops, and if they can get funding from Rosie O'Donnell to do it, they'll take it. (Not saying she would make her self that useful, but they'll keep the door open... the large loading dock door.)
plink

Postby Tommy Gun on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Squib Joe wrote:I think the Wounded Warrior Project does great work for our veterans, but in looking into a way to running a WWP event I came across this:

"When organizing a fundraiser or event to benefit Wounded Warrior Project™ (WWP), please bear in mind we do not support any fundraiser that is of a sexual, political, religious nature, or exchange of firearms or alcohol."

Surprising, and disappointing. No firearms raffles? I wonder why.

In a word -- liability. If someone were to be injured, killed or, worst of all, offended, they would very likely be sued unless they disavow any "controversial" method of fundraising. I wonder why they didn't include gambling? :?
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby aaron878 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Speaking from personal experience, many of the soldiers who benefit from WWP have severe PTSD, and veteran suicide rates are twice that of the population.

I go shooting with my friends who are vets all the time, (one Afghanistan, one both). I'm not even hinting that we should keep guns away from vets. Just saying that they don't belong at WWP events.
aaron878

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 pm

aaron878 wrote:I'm not even hinting that we should keep guns away from vets. Just saying that they don't belong at WWP events.

WWP does many events that involve firearms including range days and hunting trips. As Tommy Gun said, it appears that firearm transfers are a controversial fundraising activity and should be lumped in with boozing for some reason. Somebody notify the NRA, Ducks Unlimited, and Whitetails Forever - that is how they get a good share of their funding.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby aaron878 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
aaron878 wrote:I'm not even hinting that we should keep guns away from vets. Just saying that they don't belong at WWP events.

WWP does many events that involve firearms including range days and hunting trips. As Tommy Gun said, it appears that firearm transfers are a controversial fundraising activity and should be lumped in with boozing for some reason. Somebody notify the NRA, Ducks Unlimited, and Whitetails Forever - that is how they get a good share of their funding.

Thought we were talking about gun raffles at generic WWP events, I misunderstood. If for instance there was a trap shooting event to raise money for WWP then I don't know why they would prohibit a shotgun raffle.

Anyway this thread is a little close to home with me, so I'll leave it. Thanks guys.
aaron878

Postby nyffman on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:04 am

our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby gyrfalcon on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 am

Squib Joe wrote:I think the Wounded Warrior Project does great work for our veterans...

This person summarized my thoughts fairly well:

People should be aware of the following

Most of the income of this organization is used for "public awareness". That means television commercials, and other things to let the public know that they are there, and that wounded veterans need support. However, only a tiny fraction of the income raised by this organization actually goes directly to wounded veterans. Most of it is spent on staff, who provide advice, counseling, etc., which is nothing but a duplication of what other non-profit organizations have been doing for years.

They do provide some "comfort items" for hospitalized veterans, and for troops in Iraq/Afghanistan (but again, this is duplicating what other organizations provide).

The Federal Government provides 100% of the medical care, vocational rehabilitation, educational expenses and everything else for service disabled veterans. They also provide disability compensation that is 100% tax feee on both the Federal and State levels. Additional benefits are paid for spouses and children of any veteran rated as being 30% or more service connected disabled. This organization does NOT provide any necessary income, services or advice that is not readily available to any veteran free of charge by the Veterans Service officers of: The American Legion, The Disabled American Veterans, The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Jewish War Veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America and many other veterans organizations. NO VETERAN NEEDS TO BE A MEMBER OF ANY OF THOSE ORGANIZATIONS IN ORDER TO GET THEIR ASSISTANCE. They will provide representation before the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), right up through the Veterans Court of Appeals if necessary, at absolutely no cost to the veteran.

In addition, many States and Counties in States provide veterans services, including representation before the Department of Veterans Affairs. They also provide advice, and counseling to veterans, at no cost.

Anyone can see just how much of the income of this organization is being spent on services to veterans, and how those services are broken down, by checking the Better Business Report on this organization. I STRONGLY recommend that anyone considering donating to this organization analyze that report, and exactly how much of the income of this organization actually is going to the veterans and their families. --98.93.56.122 18:47, 24 February 2011, preceding statement moved from article to talk page by ❨Ṩtruthious ℬandersnatch❩ 09:02, 25 February 2011 (UTC)
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby nyffman on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Or, how about these? The first one is strictly local. The second has some association with the local one.

http://honorflighttwincities.org/

http://www.honorflight.org/
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby jweiss on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:35 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:I think the Wounded Warrior Project does great work for our veterans...

Most of the income of this organization is used for "public awareness". That means television commercials, and other things to let the public know that they are there, and that wounded veterans need support. However, only a tiny fraction of the income raised by this organization actually goes directly to wounded veterans. Most of it is spent on staff, who provide advice, counseling, etc., which is nothing but a duplication of what other non-profit organizations have been doing for years.

They do provide some "comfort items" for hospitalized veterans, and for troops in Iraq/Afghanistan (but again, this is duplicating what other organizations provide).

The Federal Government provides 100% of the medical care, vocational rehabilitation, educational expenses and everything else for service disabled veterans. They also provide disability compensation that is 100% tax feee on both the Federal and State levels. Additional benefits are paid for spouses and children of any veteran rated as being 30% or more service connected disabled. This organization does NOT provide any necessary income, services or advice that is not readily available to any veteran free of charge by the Veterans Service officers of: The American Legion, The Disabled American Veterans, The Veterans of Foreign Wars, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Jewish War Veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America and many other veterans organizations. NO VETERAN NEEDS TO BE A MEMBER OF ANY OF THOSE ORGANIZATIONS IN ORDER TO GET THEIR ASSISTANCE. They will provide representation before the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), right up through the Veterans Court of Appeals if necessary, at absolutely no cost to the veteran.

In addition, many States and Counties in States provide veterans services, including representation before the Department of Veterans Affairs. They also provide advice, and counseling to veterans, at no cost.

Anyone can see just how much of the income of this organization is being spent on services to veterans, and how those services are broken down, by checking the Better Business Report on this organization. I STRONGLY recommend that anyone considering donating to this organization analyze that report, and exactly how much of the income of this organization actually is going to the veterans and their families. --98.93.56.122 18:47, 24 February 2011, preceding statement moved from article to talk page by ❨Ṩtruthious ℬandersnatch❩ 09:02, 25 February 2011 (UTC)

All too true!
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby jweiss on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:35 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:

All too true!
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Return to General Gun Chat