FFL interview tomorrow, any tips?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: FFL interview tomorrow, any tips?

Postby Thunderjohn on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Scratch wrote:Have a notebook and pen handy. Mine was about 3 months ago and was very easy going. This interview is more about filling paperwork out correctly than anything. I remember wishing I had written down all the steps needed for sales and transfers as my first one was very scary. Good thing it was a friend.

+1 - Don't lose any sleep tonight.
Have a highlighter handy as they'll show you a lot of info in the book. You'll be looking up stuff for months a LOT.
Email me any time if you end up with questions. Glad to help.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby grousemaster on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Also, make sure you have your business end all setup and show strong intent to actually conduct business. It's more like a classroom experience than anything, your brain will be soaking in all sorts of info.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby rockcreek on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:04 pm

So how did it go?
rockcreek

Postby justaguy on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:09 pm

You didn't give up the address to MGT did you?
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby wildfan1 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Interview was a breeze, and luckily enough it was a pretty attractive woman agent. that made it a bit harder to pay attention. LOL

Like several of you have said, it was more anticipation than difficulty. She opened the interview by saying "congratulations. By making it to this point you will be getting your FFL. This session is just to show you how to do the paperwork and train you do everything right." She was very nice, very helpful, and said "call anytime you have questions. we are here to help you make sure you do things properly".

So next questions for you guys: how long does it take to get your license after this interview, where do you guys get your logbooks, and can I use any of you guys as a reference to get my foot in the door at any good wholesalers?

Thanks again all, for the tips, and the laughs!
Matt
wildfan1

Postby Pezhead on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:41 pm

She said "call any time"?
Pezhead

Postby infidel on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Pezhead wrote:She said "call any time"?

I need to look into this FFL thing. ;)
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:12 pm

wildfan1 wrote:So next questions for you guys: how long does it take to get your license after this interview, where do you guys get your logbooks, and can I use any of you guys as a reference to get my foot in the door at any good wholesalers?

Brownell's has logbooks, or print your own

Your foot in the door at distributors is going to be monetary - spend enough and you'll get in the door :D
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Scratch on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:33 pm

wildfan1 wrote:Interview was a breeze, and luckily enough it was a pretty attractive woman agent. that made it a bit harder to pay attention. LOL

Like several of you have said, it was more anticipation than difficulty. She opened the interview by saying "congratulations. By making it to this point you will be getting your FFL. This session is just to show you how to do the paperwork and train you do everything right." She was very nice, very helpful, and said "call anytime you have questions. we are here to help you make sure you do things properly".

So next questions for you guys: how long does it take to get your license after this interview, where do you guys get your logbooks, and can I use any of you guys as a reference to get my foot in the door at any good wholesalers?

Thanks again all, for the tips, and the laughs!
Matt

All that worrying for nothing huh... don't worry, I was nervous too. I wish my agent was a hot chick though....

My license showed up about 2-3 weeks later. I was supposed to get a "welcome kit" which had all the forms and numbers to get signed up with NICS and HH (Handgun Hotline for Wisconsin - I'm not sure if MN has that) But my welcome kit showed up about a week ago.... :roll:

No matter, I already ordered all my forms off the ATF website and got them a while ago.
As far as bound books, I got mine from RK Enterprises. I got the whole "get your FFL" kit from them which included two books, but they also sell them seperately. You can also order seperate pages from Brownells, but I've heard some people don't like them because they are only held in the book with 3 rings rather than like 50 or whatever real bound books are.

Here's the place I got my kit from, and am happy with their bound books:
http://www.rkffl.com/Printable_Order_Form.html

Here's the pages from Brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1694/Product/FIREARMS-RECORD-BOOKS

Here's one place:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT107430/sc.23/category.349/.f

Another:
http://www.batfrecordbooks.com/firearmsrecordbooks.html?gclid=CIqtycSh5a4CFYub7QodE3XYwg

I know of a couple guys who have used these, search for: LOG-100-GUN-W01
http://www.bookfactory.com/

Good luck and let me know when you get your FFL, I'll get you my small list of wholesalers to get you started. If any other FFL's want to let me know of some other good wholesalers, I'd appreciate a PM too....
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Irish.40 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:19 am

Congrats! I have no idea what it takes to get this far, but I imagine its not easy or cheap.

Sent from my EVO 4g using Tapatalk.
Glock 23
Hornady JHP
Crossbreed Belt
Blackhawk Serpa Level II
"There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -James Madison
Irish.40

Postby wildfan1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 am

Scratch,
Thanks for the links. I ordered my logbook this morning.

Thanks all for the assistance. Much appreciated.

Matt
wildfan1

Postby grousemaster on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:06 am

You got your FFL 2-3 weeks after the interview? What?!?

I didn't know the ATF could work that fast.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby wildfan1 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 am

I was surprised at how fast I got my interview. I only mailed my applciation in on March 5, and had my interview on the 22nd.
wildfan1

Postby grousemaster on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am

wildfan1 wrote:I was surprised at how fast I got my interview. I only mailed my applciation in on March 5, and had my interview on the 22nd.

That's really fast.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby JeremiahMN on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:21 am

grousemaster wrote:I didn't know the ATF could work that fast.

They are still in fast and furious mode. :lol:
JeremiahMN

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat