Alternative to chains for hanging steel

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Alternative to chains for hanging steel

Postby mn_smokeater on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

justaguy wrote:Strips of old tires, or some 770 cord. 770 is the real **** deal.

What about 550? isn't that supposed to hold what 550lbs or something from what I read on the interwebs.

Assuming steel target is light enough hang it with that, the holes would probably have to be grommeted with rubber to keep from chaffing the cord and you could maybe hook some sort of simple system up where you have the reel cut off X length and on the hanger thing is a groove thing you can slot the cord into, that was you can adjust height quick and easy and take it down easy too as well as replace any shot up cord fast.
That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Shipyard wrote: We'll get a case of tall boys and some angle iron and get that **** figgurer out...

I like the way you think.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby justaguy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:02 pm

mn_smokeater wrote:
justaguy wrote:Strips of old tires, or some 770 cord. 770 is the real **** deal.

What about 550? isn't that supposed to hold what 550lbs or something from what I read on the interwebs.

Assuming steel target is light enough hang it with that, the holes would probably have to be grommeted with rubber to keep from chaffing the cord and you could maybe hook some sort of simple system up where you have the reel cut off X length and on the hanger thing is a groove thing you can slot the cord into, that was you can adjust height quick and easy and take it down easy too as well as replace any shot up cord fast.

550 cord is for *******.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 pm

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-78884/Detail

... was thinking of something like this when I set-up at the farm.
yuppiejr

Postby eitech on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Another +1 to the conveyer belt. It lasts about 1 year with very heavy use. The bullet splatter eventually will cut through it.
eitech

Postby Shipyard on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:47 pm

eitech wrote:Another +1 to the conveyer belt. It lasts about 1 year with very heavy use. The bullet splatter eventually will cut through it.

could one of you conveyor supporters post up a link to material used? i have access to about 8000+ types of conveyor spare parts through the engineering supply houses, conveyor belt is a pretty generic term. i'm wondering if you could narrow down what you're using/what i should be looking into...

:paper:
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:49 pm

What about cable? Might be more likely to bend and flex than chain. Certainly in the same price point.
Holland&Holland

Postby justaguy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:What about cable? Might be more likely to bend and flex than chain. Certainly in the same price point.

You mean like this?
mn_smokeater wrote:Strad,

How about something along the lines of this?

http://www.amazon.com/Galvanized-Steel- ... B002X4DCQU
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby engnerdan on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:Gr70 will take a rifle hit no problem. I use Gr70 in 1/4" and 3/8" and have yet to break a chain. It isn't cheap though.

I guess nobody noticed that the guy who makes the targets gave us an answer and no one acknowledged it.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby shooter115 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Shipyard wrote:
eitech wrote:Another +1 to the conveyer belt. It lasts about 1 year with very heavy use. The bullet splatter eventually will cut through it.

could one of you conveyor supporters post up a link to material used? i have access to about 8000+ types of conveyor spare parts through the engineering supply houses, conveyor belt is a pretty generic term. i'm wondering if you could narrow down what you're using/what i should be looking into...

:paper:

I work in sales for a company that specializes in building conveyors. What you want is the belting off an aggregate type conveyor, look for any gravel pit you see a couple conveyors on and most likely they will have some scrap belting they would sell cheap or give away if you talk to the right guy. You probably wont find any in a parts house as it can be tough to find in short legths. The most common size you will find around here is 36" wide, 3-ply, 330 PIW, 3/16x1/16.
shooter115

Postby Jbotto on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Some good ideas on this thread! I got a few plates from Custom Steel Targets and the owner, Richard, told me how to hang them. With the .223 and the .22, I've yet to bust a chain, but the chain takes a beating when hit a few times with the .243 or .30/06. I like the conveyor belt idea a ton! We've got a large pile of it at the farm from a feed system. I've got to try this now. Thanks guys!
Jbotto

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:26 am

justaguy wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:What about cable? Might be more likely to bend and flex than chain. Certainly in the same price point.

You mean like this?

Sorry, I do not click on links. They tend to take you to crazy internet peoples with quirky names.
Holland&Holland

Postby mn_smokeater on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
justaguy wrote:

You mean like this?

Sorry, I do not click on links. They tend to take you to crazy internet peoples with quirky names.

It's Steel Aircraft Cable Wire on a reel

That guy from the Hinterlands of the Nord.
mn_smokeater

Postby FJ540 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Fleet farm sells belting by the foot in the farm supply department.
FJ540

Postby Pezhead on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I was thinking steel cable too.
See what happens when i'm alte to the party?
Pezhead

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat