The .50 caliber Desert Eagle: Why?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Re: The .50 caliber Desert Eagle: Why?

Postby goett047 on Fri May 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
goett047 wrote:Two words: shot placement

One word: Penetration

Won't mean a damn thing if you can't hit your target
goett047

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 pm

goett047 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
goett047 wrote:Two words: shot placement

One word: Penetration

Won't mean a damn thing if you can't hit your target

Never said I could not hit the target. No one would argue that shot placement is not key but it does not do you much good to hit your target if it does not have the energy to kill it. I can think of a few animals that I would feel much more confident in having something bigger than a .45 for. Typically these are the type of animals that can eat you.
Holland&Holland

Re: The .50 caliber Desert Eagle: Why?

Postby goett047 on Fri May 25, 2012 12:51 pm

I never said anything about a .45... if I thought the threat of being eaten was present I'd have something other than a handgun cartridge available.
goett047

Postby XDM45 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:10 pm

EJSG19 wrote:Because your like or dislike of hand cannons is your opinion. Other folks have opposite opinions toward the same activity. Pure and simple as that.

I get that.. I'm trying to figure out the "Why". I can backup my opinions with reasons. If I like something, there's a reason which I consciously know, understand, and can explain, same with if I dislike something. I try to figure things and people out, what makes them tick, function, etc.

EJSG19 wrote:Also, to compare the SD potential and ballistics of the .45 acp and the .50 AE as "not much different" is QUITE a stretch.

True. I wasn't looking at it quite that deeply, more along the lines of...

a) gun + target + shot = hole in target. A 50 caliber will make a bigger hole than a 45, but the key regardless of caliber is accuracy and a hole.
b) gun + lethal and legally-qualifying treat from an intruder = dead.

It's not like they are going to be any deader from a double-tap to the chest from a DE50 vs a 45. Yes, there are differences like the caliber and type of ammunition used, but my point is that dead is dead. You can shoot a corpse with a 20mm Vulcan Cannon and it won't become any deader, just in more pieces.

I'm not trying to argue, just saying the above.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby XDM45 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Self defense is not the only reason to own a handgun. Hunting I find myself wanting a bit more than a .45.

I can understand that. As was noted with certain animals like bears, you'd want a pistol like a DE50, 454, S&W 500, or if allowable, a rifle. See, it has a purpose and a reason. I own both my guns for very specific reasons, so it makes sense to me.

I even get the "'cause it's cool" factor of a thrill once in awhile.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Holland&Holland wrote: I can think of a few animals that I would feel much more confident in having something bigger than a .45 for. Typically these are the type of animals that can eat you.

I'm confused. Isn't .375 smaller than .45?

:P
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote: I can think of a few animals that I would feel much more confident in having something bigger than a .45 for. Typically these are the type of animals that can eat you.

I'm confused. Isn't .375 smaller than .45?

:P

Get with the new math Strad.

.45 ACP smarty :P ! I have no problem counting on my .375 H&H or my .45-70 handgun. .50 DE is not my flavor but I can understand the taste for the big bores. Of course a real show stopper would be something like a .470 NE in a Holland and Holland Double gun. :D
Holland&Holland

Postby XDM45 on Fri May 25, 2012 1:28 pm

yuppiejr wrote:Stopping power, I assume. If you are willing to invest the time and money in being proficient with the baddest semi-auto handgun in the world, why not?

Several reasons... (and this is all opinion, yours and others will differ I'm sure)

1) Expense of the ammo and the ballistic characteristics of it, but both of these are personal preference. There's no right or wrong for it. If people fire such big rounds, they should probably reload them to save on the cost of firing the thing. Maybe the money doesn't matter, if not, cool.

2) Maneuverability. Yes, the Israeli army carries them, but they are also one of the most elite and professionally trained fighting forces in the World too. Most people are not anywhere near that skill level or level of training. It's easier for someone to use a smaller handgun for home defense, if that's the purpose of it. I know some people use the DE50 and other hand cannons for hunting, which is a different purpose altogether. I just know that I'd have a heck of a time running around with that thing and I'm a big guy. I also realize that no one gun, wrench, car, tool, etc, fits in all situations.

Lastly, I know there are countless reasons for owning or not owning anything, including big hand cannons, so to each their own. I'm not knocking anyone at all for it. I like to fire them once in awhile for the thrill, but I don't need to own one, but that's just me. I'm not knocking it for those who want to own them. From what I've seen, many people who own them are responsible, which is good. I think anyone on this board would probably dress someone down pretty quuickly if they saw an idiot with one of those things. It seems to be a good crowd of people on here.

What I fear about them is the idiotic "rent-a-boom-stick" crowd who may buy one for the "cool factor" or it, or the person who is insecure and has to have the biggest gun, a huge truck jacked up, etc. They are over-compensating in such a case, and with a gun, that's really scary.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri May 25, 2012 3:05 pm

As far as the cost of shooting a DE50, that's a non issue, because the factory ammo is so expensive that you actually SAVE money reloading EVEN IF YOU FIGURE IN THE COST OF THE RELOADING EQUIPMENT!! In addition, the cases last a fairly long time, and it's REAL EASY to find the empties! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As far as its potential as a carry piece in everyday life, it's simply too damn big and heavy, plus it could be TOO powerful, and the slug could go straight through the perp and keeping going to hit something else. Takes a LOT of practice to make follow-up shots, and shooting one without hearing protection may have permanent effects on your hearing.

That being said, it's an excellent "exercise" gun, and shooting it regularly will help you with your arm strength, steadiness of your hold, and your trigger pull. After that, a "little" 1911 is a walk in the park. Haven't seen any idjits with these guns trying to compensate for "other" inadequacies, and between the recoil force, the muzzle blast, and big, hot 50 cal empties bouncing off your punkin haid I think it pretty much scares them away.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Dutch on Fri May 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:As far as the cost of shooting a DE50, that's a non issue, because the factory ammo is so expensive that you actually SAVE money reloading EVEN IF YOU FIGURE IN THE COST OF THE RELOADING EQUIPMENT!! In addition, the cases last a fairly long time, and it's REAL EASY to find the empties! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you're fast enough...some bystanders tend to turn into instant brass collectors...
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Postby XDM45 on Fri May 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Dutch wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:As far as the cost of shooting a DE50, that's a non issue, because the factory ammo is so expensive that you actually SAVE money reloading EVEN IF YOU FIGURE IN THE COST OF THE RELOADING EQUIPMENT!! In addition, the cases last a fairly long time, and it's REAL EASY to find the empties! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you're fast enough...some bystanders tend to turn into instant brass collectors...

I don't reload, so anyone that wants my 45ACP brass, feel free to have at it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Jbotto on Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 pm

I always saw the DE as somewhat of a gimmick. I mean how cool can it honestly be if it's in a ton of movies and video games. I got the chance to shoot a box of ammunition through a .357 version. I walked away liking the gun alot, for what it was. I large, heavy range gun. (This is just in my opinion and it shouldn't be important to anyone else.) I found it to be a bit cumbersome, but surprisingly was only a bit large for my hand, yet comfortable to me. It soaked up .357's like nothing else and was very accurate. I'll take up an offer to shoot it again as it's my buddy's but I see no sensible reason to buy one. I like revolvers too much. I'd like to see how the .44 and .50 versions shoot just once in my life.
Jbotto

Postby Snowgun on Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 pm

A buddy of mine just got a boat, and we had a hell of a time keeping that thing in one place on the lake during a windy day. Then we tried tying a rope onto the trigger guard of a DE and chucking that in the lake.

Problem solved.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby tim on Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 am

A Desert Eagle. 50AE is on my list, perhaps more near the top than some others. I really actually want one bad. I can fire one in a .44mag whenever I want and its great, the muzzle flash makes you smile like no other. I just have to buy the .50 so I can one up my buddy with the .44. :D
tim

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat May 26, 2012 9:56 am

Best place to look for a used DE50 is Gunstop. Frontiersman tends to jack up the prices a bit. They ARE available sometimes, but not as much as they used to be. When they first came out, there were a bunch of nice lightly used ones, as a lot of guys who thought they could handle one found out otherwise. It's the same story with the Smith 500. If you find a used one, it may have only had one box of those ultra nasty 440 grain factory loads through it before the owner said "no mas, no mas".
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat