American Guns latest episode (tactical shotgun)

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

American Guns latest episode (tactical shotgun)

Postby Scratch on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Here's a link to the blog from the "owner" of that modded shotgun. I thought it was interesting...
http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/07/11/behind-the-scenes-on-american-guns/#comment-3809
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: American Guns latest episode (tactical shotgun)

Postby GunGoogler on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Scratch wrote:Here's a link to the blog from the "owner" of that modded shotgun. I thought it was interesting...
http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/07/11/behind-the-scenes-on-american-guns/#comment-3809

Nice first-hand experience on reality television and it's about what I'd imagine.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby PRS on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 am

I still dig the show...
PRS

Postby T.P.F.K.A.M on Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 am

This just another thinly veiled excuse to ogle paige again?
T.P.F.K.A.M

Postby Pezhead on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 am

T.P.F.K.A.M wrote:This just another thinly veiled excuse to ogle paige again?

Now let's see where it goes from here.
Pezhead

Postby Scratch on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:33 am

I'll continue to watch the show, for one, because there's not many shows about firearms on tv now,
and two... Paige... :D

But what I don't understand is that they know a large portion of their audience are gun nuts, and while some of us may not realize how much a 338 Lapua rifle is, most of us know how much it would cost to do those upgrades to an 870!

When they say 1700, and that's not even including the cost of the gun, it makes them look like high priced idiots I think. I know it's reality tv, and reading this guys blog explains a lot, but for those that haven't read it, they must think the Wyatt's think their work is gold plated.

I'd think they'd want to be more realistic in their pricing, just to seem more real to gun nuts.
Scratch

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:55 am

I thought spending $2k for a paint job on a $5k budget rifle was an interesting choice... call me crazy but I'd rather have 3 x rifles with black stocks and $1,000 worth of ammo to practice with than 2 x rifles with pretty stocks for $10k.
yuppiejr

Postby mc762x54R on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:14 am

I cant believe a police dept needs a 338 Lapua to begin with...let alone the fact they wasted 2k of taxpayer money on a completely unnecessary paint job
mc762x54R

Postby Scratch on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:19 am

That's just it.... I don't think they spent 2k on that paint job. I think they spent around 500-700, but they told us they did. It just makes everybody watching the show, question why they do stupid stuff like that.

Why can't they just be more believable. People would like the show much, much more.
Scratch

Postby tazdevil on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 am

Scratch wrote:I'll continue to watch the show, for one, because there's not many shows about firearms on tv now,
and two... Paige... :D

But what I don't understand is that they know a large portion of their audience are gun nuts, and while some of us may not realize how much a 338 Lapua rifle is, most of us know how much it would cost to do those upgrades to an 870!

When they say 1700, and that's not even including the cost of the gun, it makes them look like high priced idiots I think. I know it's reality tv, and reading this guys blog explains a lot, but for those that haven't read it, they must think the Wyatt's think their work is gold plated.

I'd think they'd want to be more realistic in their pricing, just to seem more real to gun nuts.

Was about 200$. I could've shaved off about 125 if I didn't want the recoil reducing adjustable buttstock. Added that and a extra round addition to the chamber, now its 8+1 instead of 4+1. No more sore shoulder either.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby oneunder on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 am

There was some exotic zoo/animal care taker who wanted a pistol, in zebra print dura coat.

They sold him a m&p .45acp for like 700 I think, then charge him another 1300 for a trigger job, and to duracoat it. I thought that was asininely overpriced.

But, I record the show, and watch it whenever I am cleaning the pistol...not awful, but not great.
oneunder

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 am

The visible upgrades to the shotgun were the Surefire forend, extended magazine tube, replacement 18" barrel, ghost ring sights, a paint job on the receiver, recoil reducing buttstock and side-saddle... not sure if they did a buff and fluff on the internals at all while it was apart but there had to be a couple of hours of smith time to disassemble for paint, tap & install the new sights (front and rear) and then reassemble/test fire.. I can see where they have a couple hundred bucks in labor plus the parts, but even at MSRP I haven't figured out $1,700... then again it sounds like the whole thing is fiction so who knows where the number came from.
yuppiejr

Postby BBeckwith on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:02 am

yuppiejr wrote:The visible upgrades to the shotgun were the Surefire forend, extended magazine tube, replacement 18" barrel, ghost ring sights, a paint job on the receiver, recoil reducing buttstock and side-saddle... not sure if they did a buff and fluff on the internals at all while it was apart but there had to be a couple of hours of smith time to disassemble for paint, tap & install the new sights (front and rear) and then reassemble/test fire.. I can see where they have a couple hundred bucks in labor plus the parts, but even at MSRP I haven't figured out $1,700... then again it sounds like the whole thing is fiction so who knows where the number came from.

I priced out as close as I could while watching the show stock, grip, fore end, side saddle, new barrel, ect. plus I figured $200 beater 870. I came up with roughly $1050 in parts. Yea that's expensive, I built my social work 870 for about $340.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Return to General Gun Chat