IDPA or USPSA?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

IDPA or USPSA?

Postby TH3180 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 am

I started a thread a while back about shooting in matches. I was looking for people's differant reasons for shooting them. In that thread there was some talk about the differences between the types of matches. So here you go. What's better and why, IDPA or USPSA? The little bit I have shot both of them. I like them the same. So what do you think?G
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Re: IDPA or USPSA?

Postby MrVvrroomm on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 am

There'll be some butt hurt in this thread....
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Certified Glock Armorer

engnerdan wrote:First he beat me up on the price. Then he made me deliver it. Then he made me drive to Roseville to pick up my money.
MrVvrroomm
Changed

Postby westhope on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am

Both.

Any other questions?

Both are games. Both will improve and maintain basic shooting skills.

Define what you mean by "better".
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby grousemaster on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:31 am

I want to get involved in one of these as well. I'm leaning IDPA as I'd rather train/practice with one of my carry pistols, rather than building some "speed gun" I'd never use/have in reach in a defense scenario.

From what I understand, IDPA=stock factory defensive pistols, USPSA= the big custom pistols set up for competition? I could be wrong....

Both look really fun, don't get me wrong....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:37 am

All I know is, in one you wear jockey silks and in the other you wear a fishing vest.
Pat Cannon

Postby TH3180 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 am

westhope wrote:
Define what you mean by "better".

There are poeple that only shoot one and won't shoot the other, both sides of the fence. I'm wondering why they like one so much but not the other. If you could only choose one to shoot. What one would that be and why?
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby GunGoogler on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 am

Pat Cannon wrote:All I know is, in one you wear jockey silks and in the other you wear a fishing vest.

:rotf: This is awesome, Pat.

I will agree with Grousemaster. IDPA looks more like my speed and I intend to try it out a few times...eventually. What I am really waiting on is for one of you goons with a bunch of land to set up a safe course and invite me over to do so casually.
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am

TH3180 wrote:There are poeple that only shoot one and won't shoot the other, both sides of the fence. I'm wondering why they like one so much but not the other. If you could only choose one to shoot. What one would that be and why?

With the USPSA folks I've shot with, they say there are too many rules in IDPA. (Mandated cover, retaining unfired rounds etc.)

By the sounds of it, never having shot IDPA, I would tend to agree... but then again, I might change my mind if I ever was to play with the IDPA kids.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:03 am

grousemaster wrote:From what I understand, IDPA=stock factory defensive pistols, USPSA= the big custom pistols set up for competition? I could be wrong....

This is a purdy large misconception!

IDPA, USPSA, and SASS, for that matter, each have different divisions (categories) ... not the least of which, being "revolver". No one expects anyone with a 6-shot wheelgun to best someone else with a 17rd 9mm! :roll:

Everyone shoots the same courses (stages) ... but they are scored separately, by division ... at which, ya'll see a "1st place revolver", "1st place SSP/Production", "1st place CDP/Single-Stack", et. al.

Depending on a specific pistol, holster, and mag-pouches, you will be "legal" for one particular IDPA division ... and one particular USPSA division ... in most cases, those divisions line-up purdy well!

Only thing that jumps out at me, USPSA "Production" allows a "DOH" (drop 'n offset holster) whereas IDPA "SSP" (and probly every other IDPA division) does not. HOWEVER, if you were to outfit your rig to be "IDPA legal", it would then automagically be legal for the corresponding USPSA division (moreover, you would not otherwise be left at a terrible disadvantage to most everyone else shooting that particular division!)

Only other things ... IIRC ... are IDPA requires you to not drop magazines (which have at least one cartridge left) on the ground (USPSA don't care) and IDPA "requires" you to "use cover", when available (again, USPSA don't care).

These two things, along with holsters which don't "stick out, or hang down" too far for carry make IDPA the more "defensive" organization (as is what they set out to achieve, when the originally broke off from USPSA).

It was after IDPA broke away from USPSA, that USPSA created new divisions which afforded improved competition with more typical "carry guns and holsters". "Single-Stack", for example, does not allow the front-strap of the pistol below the top of the belt! With this, the lines have blurred somewhat, since IDPA was originally formed.

Only other thing ... IIRC ... is that, in IDPA, you'll never shoot more than 18rd (in a timed string) ... whereas, in USPSA, the max round-count for any course is 32rd (a typical weeknight match being 100rd or slightly more). At which, if you desire to shoot less (save money on ammo), IDPA may be a better choice!

There's also a fairly small overlap of folks regularly shooting both! In many cases, these people started with IDPA, and then began shooting USPSA, as well! ... the reverse is certainly possible ... I don't normally shoot IDPA, so I couldn't say.

That said, there's a fairly large number of folks who prefer only one 'er the other! In some cases, this is merely due to scheduling/location! In other cases, ignorance of the newer (now 10yr old, or more) divisions in USPSA. And, in other cases, folks simply being competitive in one or the other, where the differences, minor as they may be, actually hurt their performance in the one, they prefer!

In yet other cases, someone simply gets their feelings hurt! ... someone tries to offer some unsolicited advice ... or someone makes a comment about someone's performance ... 'er lack thereof ... or someone can't handle the realization of just how much they really suck (despite daydreams, to the contrary!). I've even met SASS folks who swear they'll never shoot USPSA or IDPA again! Bottom line is ... and I don't mean to shock anyone ... some gun owners are ***holes! :o ... and they're not exclusive to IDPA, USPSA, SASS, whatever! ... they get around! ;)

More than likely, ya'll choose to start with one 'er the other ... and if ya think the folks ya get to know are purdy nice, ya'll probly stay with them for quite some time! ... if not, ya might try the other ... and either stick with that, or go back to the first one! Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby engnerdan on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am

The best comparison I have found is this

IDPA = just for fun softball beer drinking league, laid back and having fun

USPSA - Semi-pro baseball, some guys are really getting serious and trying to set the world on fire.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 am

GunGoogler wrote:What I am really waiting on is for one of you goons with a bunch of land to set up a safe course and invite me over to do so casually.

Various clubs put on various matches ... weeknight matches are the most "casual" (also the most pressed for time ... to get done, before dark ... in some cases, it's part of their CUP!)

There's the "state championship" ... and for USPSA, "Points matches" (these will usually be indicated, as such). So long as a weekend match is neither of those, this would be an excellent time to try it out! Most clubs are more than willing to help brand new shooters with their first ever match! Some have an orientation ... and expect you to get there a half-hour early, for that!

There's no expectations ... FROM ANYONE ... on a new shooter! ... we've all been there! We want ya to be safe ... and TAKE IT SLOW!

In about 4 matches at Forest Lake, I've seen no less than a dozen new shooters, try it out! ... don't recall anyone leaving with a sad face?! ;)

My single best bit of advice on this is ... come out to watch a match ... BUT DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR GUN! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 am

engnerdan wrote:The best comparison I have found is this

IDPA = just for fun softball beer drinking league, laid back and having fun

USPSA - Semi-pro baseball, some guys are really getting serious and trying to set the world on fire.

That's kinda funny ... I shot several IDPA matches ... the extra rules ... moreover, bein' called on 'em, left me with the impression of ... well, let's just say, it kinda took the fun outta it! ;) ... whereas, shooting USPSA, I've often suggested it was very much like a bowling league ... with the unfortunate restriction of having to wait, until you're done, before the beer part! :(

That ain't to say I'd never shoot another IDPA match! Image ... just, with SASS, USPSA, other stuff ... it's usually purdy low on the list! Image

Fair warning ... there are most definitely a few folks who really know how to suck the fun outta USPSA, as well! :| ... it just ain't in the rulebook! :hide:
rugersol

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 am

rugersol wrote:Fair warning ... there are most definitely a few folks who really know how to suck the fun outta USPSA, as well! :|

Exactly why I've been taking a break from it.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby xd ED on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 am

rugersol wrote:
GunGoogler wrote:What I am really waiting on is for one of you goons with a bunch of land to set up a safe course and invite me over to do so casually.

Various clubs put on various matches ... weeknight matches are the most "casual" (also the most pressed for time ... to get done, before dark ... in some cases, it's part of their CUP!)

There's the "state championship" ... and for USPSA, "Points matches" (these will usually be indicated, as such). So long as a weekend match is neither of those, this would be an excellent time to try it out! Most clubs are more than willing to help brand new shooters with their first ever match! Some have an orientation ... and expect you to get there a half-hour early, for that!

There's no expectations ... FROM ANYONE ... on a new shooter! ... we've all been there! We want ya to be safe ... and TAKE IT SLOW!

In about 4 matches at Forest Lake, I've seen no less than a dozen new shooters, try it out! ... don't recall anyone leaving with a sad face?! ;)

My single best bit of advice on this is ... come out to watch a match ... BUT DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR GUN! ;)

^^^^^Best advice possible^^^^^^
If you can, show up early and as you help set up, observe and ask questions. The new found familiarity will take some of the edge off.
I've only shot a few matches(USPSA) due to time constraints, but they've been production and single stack with equipment I carry.
The only expectation, a demand actually, is you stay safe.
You can race cars in showroom stock and have a lot more fun than the guys in Formula I.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby igofast on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am

rugersol wrote:
grousemaster wrote:From what I understand, IDPA=stock factory defensive pistols, USPSA= the big custom pistols set up for competition? I could be wrong....

This is a purdy large misconception!

IDPA, USPSA, and SASS, for that matter, each have different divisions (categories)

An excellent synopsis. Grousemaster is certainly not alone in the misconception - and looking from the outside I can see why. I've been shooting Single Stack 1911 in USPSA for a few years. Does it put me at a disadvantage to a full race 38 super with 30 round mag, comp, and dot sight that shoots after me? Yep, but I'm not competing against them, I'm competing against other Single Stack competitors. OK, I won't get high overall, but I wouldn't even if I had an Open gun.

Another big difference between IDPA and USPSA is how you run the course. Unless specifically told so, USPSA leaves it open to the shooter on when and how they want to engage the targets. IDPA is very scripted - shoot these from here in this order then move here and shoot these.

Different strokes for different folks. I appreciate any trigger time I can get, and introducing the stress of competition helps me understand what skills are lacking.
igofast

Next

Return to General Gun Chat