IDPA or USPSA?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: IDPA or USPSA?

Postby bpacman on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:06 am

I got to experience both for the first time this year.

I like doing both, but if I had to choose one, it would be IDPA. Their rules and equipment limitations are kind of an equalizer. You don't always get to shoot from the most comfortable position or reload when it is most convenient in IDPA. Targets sequence is also much more important/regulated. I have talked to USPSA shooters that really love the ability to push their shooting talent without having to worry about procedural errors or rule violations assigning penalties. Accuracy is the primary test in both. The ability to have the shortest split time between shoots and quickest target transitions is also paramount in both competitions. Shooting positions is one of the major differences. Shooting while making sure that 100% of your lower body and 50% of your upper body is behind cover is IDPA. Or, just standing in your favorite shooting stance at a location that gives you access to the most targets before you have to move is USPSA.

Other little things like airgunning and the number of magazines you can have are just a couple of the IDPA rules that make people migrate to USPSA.

They are both fun and challenging...Plus IDPA has Defense Multi-Gun where the fun is really intense.

Just my .02

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 am

igofast wrote:introducing the stress of competition helps me understand what skills are lacking.

+∞³

igofast wrote:Grousemaster is certainly not alone in the misconception

most definitely not!

igofast wrote:OK, I won't get high overall

In fact, at least with USPSA, as scores are published to uspsa.org, overall ain't even available!

... however, various clubs have published overall scores, in various ways, anyhow! ... this is unfortunate, in that it leaves some folks with the feeling they're not nearly as good, as they actually are ... then again, some revolver shooters get a kick outta seeing their overall beating a semi-auto ... 'er a production shooter beating Ltd ... or Open! :shock: ... either way, this sorta thing usually costs more beers, than hurt feelings! 8-)

Again, no one expects a "lower" division to beat a "higher" division! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Keith on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

GunGoogler wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:All I know is, in one you wear jockey silks and in the other you wear a fishing vest.

:rotf: This is awesome, Pat.

I will agree with Grousemaster. IDPA looks more like my speed and I intend to try it out a few times...eventually. What I am really waiting on is for one of you goons with a bunch of land to set up a safe course and invite me over to do so casually.

Another way to look at it is in one of the games you do a reload that the other game says will get you killed in a real gunfight.

On the other hand, the other game does a totally different kind of reload and the other side says doing that reload in a real gunfight will get you killed.

Then the tactical crowd will say it's all going to get you killed because you didn't do a threat scan before reholstering, etc.
:hmm:
I just consider them games with benefits. I used to shoot them both but when work took a dump back in '09 I let my IDPA membership lapse and never got around to renewing it. I had to take a step back and force myself to look at how much I was spending on them.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:27 pm

xtranormal idpa vs uspsa

Humphrey Bogart

Postby tazdevil on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Just shoot 3gun and be done with it.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:36 pm

I made appearances at Oakdale USPSA this year and last....and it was a gift....thanks to eveyone who did the heavy lifting to make that happen.

I'll try Burnsville indoor league this winter..I was at last years orientation and went through a practice shoot

(...any word on how the fire will effect that)

After getting a taste, I know it's something I want to pursue. (out in the fresh air)

As a complete aside...is there a 'shortcut' to get from DT MPLS to Oakdale at rush hour?

I've been taking 94 East from the Riverside Exit and it's minimum 45 minutes....all logjam till you get past DT STPaul.

I've thought of taking 35w or 280 up to 36 and then heading east to try to cut the drive time in half.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby GunGoogler on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Humphrey Bogart wrote:xtranormal idpa vs uspsa

"You hush your sweet sass mouth!" :rotf:
If you are reading this, there is a better than average chance that you are a d-bag.
GunGoogler

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:49 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:
rugersol wrote:Fair warning ... there are most definitely a few folks who really know how to suck the fun outta USPSA, as well! :|

Exactly why I've been taking a break from it.

Agreed, same here!
mmcnx2

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm curious just how many people are on one side or the other or actually think both are great, so I made a poll: IDPA or USPSA? - The Poll

I'm fine with discussion staying on this thread; I just wanted to try to quantify the issue.

[Edit:] Oh, wait, could the poll be tacked onto this thread?
Pat Cannon

Postby Grayskies on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 pm

GunGoogler wrote:
Humphrey Bogart wrote:xtranormal idpa vs uspsa

"You hush your sweet sass mouth!" :rotf:

Ok, that explains the fishing vests, what about uspsa and their silk jockies ( or was it boxers ) ?
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby SkyRock on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 am

Humphrey Bogart wrote: (...any word on how the fire will effect that)

Yes. I'll update the BPR fire thread, later.
SkyRock

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat