Possession On School Property (609.66)

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Possession On School Property (609.66)

Postby mrp on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 pm

TTS wrote:A childcare center while children are present

Getting closer, but it's not all child care centers, just ones "licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program"
mrp

Postby TTS on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:48 am

mrp wrote:
TTS wrote:A childcare center while children are present

Getting closer, but it's not all child care centers, just ones "licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program"

When reviewing those, I left that as is; because you might not know it is licensed, and you can carry with the center directors permission.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby billsnogo on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:34 am

bstrawse wrote:
billsnogo wrote:I was told in my permit to carry class that even having the firearm in your vehicle in a school parking lot is illegal, and that we would have to park on city streets. Had my instructor misinformed us?

Your instructor is completely misinformed. Who was it?
b

The group from midwest carry, you know that crowdcut deal for supposedly half price :roll: (I know, I know.....)
billsnogo

Postby Countryfried Frank on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:49 am

How does all this relate to a church with an attached private school?
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby MasonK on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 am

Countryfried Frank wrote:How does all this relate to a church with an attached private school?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll proffer that it may depend on he building design. My old church was attached to a school, but there was a hallway which clearly served as a demarcation between the chapel and the school. If I recall from my years dating girls at Visitation in high school, their chapel was smack in the middle of the school proper and there was no delineation.

That is something that probably needs case law to clarify. Is there any yet? I'd be cautious and either not carry, or obtain the special dispensation from he principal of the school if possible to be safe.

As I'm fond of saying- consult a lawyer, because I don't have a JD.

I'm here to learn. I'll gladly listen to those more conversant on the subject.
MasonK

Postby tman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66

It's actually plainly stated in the law.

MN STATUTE 609.66 wrote:(4) "school property" means:

(i) a public or private elementary, middle, or secondary school building and its improved grounds, whether leased or owned by the school;

(ii) a child care center licensed under chapter 245A during the period children are present and participating in a child care program;

(iii) the area within a school bus when that bus is being used by a school to transport one or more elementary, middle, or secondary school students to and from school-related activities, including curricular, cocurricular, noncurricular, extracurricular, and supplementary activities; and

(iv) that portion of a building or facility under the temporary, exclusive control of a public or private school, a school district, or an association of such entities where conspicuous signs are prominently posted at each entrance that give actual notice to persons of the school-related use.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby lenny7 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 am

TTS wrote:When reviewing those, I left that as is; because you might not know it is licensed, and you can carry with the center directors permission.

Were I to have a situation where I might frequently be in a child care center, I'd find out if it were licensed, as it's pretty easy to do:

But for the rare or occasional visit, you're right, it's best to assume they are.
lenny7

Postby shadeslanding on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:50 am

billsnogo wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
billsnogo wrote:I was told in my permit to carry class that even having the firearm in your vehicle in a school parking lot is illegal, and that we would have to park on city streets. Had my instructor misinformed us?

Your instructor is completely misinformed. Who was it?
b

The group from midwest carry, you know that crowdcut deal for supposedly half price :roll: (I know, I know.....)

Are they the "groupon" people?
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Postby billsnogo on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 pm

shadeslanding wrote:Are they the "groupon" people?

Yep, that's them.
billsnogo

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat