Hearing Protection: Looking for Advice

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Hearing Protection: Looking for Advice

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Recently started a new job at the airport and using hearing protection is required (they issued us muffs as well as foam push in type) but am possible looking into something with some type of active noise cancelling so I can more easily hear/communicate with people as I work. Looking for something that has a NRR of 30+ and comfortable for wearing for longer periods. Also these would then be used on the side as shooting hearing protection. Any input is appreciated

Thanks, Zack
aspeedyturtle

Re: Hearing Protection: Looking for Advice

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:20 pm

lots of options for active muffs, problems are the ones I'm thinking about, Peltor, Howard Lieght are designed for shooting. I don't know how they would hold up in a constant noise situation. You would also have to worry about putting batteries in them pretty frequently, if they are "actively" working with noise cancelling all day long.

Google may be your friend to find industrial muffs that might also work for shooting.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby aspeedyturtle on Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:54 pm

I was looking at these and they claim a NRR of 33db and in the specs it lists a 200 hour battery life. Anyone have any experience with these as far as fit/comfort and is that kind of battery life realistic if they are constantly being worked by background jet engine noise?

http://www.earplugstore.com/prmagdi1tamu.html
aspeedyturtle

Postby heather harley on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:39 pm

I've used the $50 (sale on Amazon) Howard Leights for lawnmowing...no complaints...you'll hear the mower but at a low level without the disorientation of a standard earmuff.
heather harley

Postby bullets on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm

I too like and use the Howard Leights for shooting.
Battery life has been pretty good.
Don't know how they'd handle jet engines all day...
bullets

Postby DanM on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 pm

A quick search for active hearing protection showed me that I needed specialized hearing protection for flying versus shooting. Small planes make lots of racket inside, but the frequency and duration are much different than gunshots. Airplane noises stay fairly constant, while gunshots are fast rise time and short duration events. The electronics need to be tailored to the specific use to be worthwhile. I ended up buying different ear protection for each. There is the possibility of using non-shooting active hearing protection during shooting sport use, but then you are relying primarily on the passive noise reduction rating (NRR) of the hearting protectors which is a lower number than the active rating. Maybe add some ear plugs underneath. But then you have an expensive headset that works about as well as some $20 Wally World cheapo's when used that way. Why risk the expensive set? :geek:
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Terry on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:31 pm

I have a pair of these:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... gv%29&rt=d

They are inexpensive and work well.
Terry

Postby mc762x54R on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:14 pm

I have the low profile electronic Howard
Leights, they work great..but are only 22 or 23 db...in the winter especially they are not good enough for anything over 9mm or 45...357 rings the ears and forget rifles. I wear plugs under them and it king of defeats the purpose of electronic muffs.

I just saw advertised at Cabelas a more expensive set of Howard Leights that claim 30 or more db of reduction. I am seriously considering a pair of those.
mc762x54R

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Here you go:

http://www.elvex.com/Com-655.htm

Electronic muffs that clamp down in milliseconds for gunshots, plus single on/off microphone volume switch with automatic shutdown in 4 hours if you forget to turn them off. Battery life 175 hours. Very comfortable and solidy built. Also has a 3.5mm jack so you can listen to your tunes on an iPod while you're shooting. And the best part is they sell for only $73!!! My other pair of electronic muffs are the $135 Dillon ones, and quite frankly I think the Elvex pair is superior in clamping and noise reduction when I'm shooting hot loads in my Smith 500.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby XDM45 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 pm

I wear ear plugs which lower everything by 30db + outer ear protection (Peltor Ultimate 10 - http://www.amazon.com/3M-Ultimate-Heari ... B000PW98WO) which lowers it by another 30db beyond that.

Considering an aircraft taking off is 140db and my .45ACP is 150db, it works rather well. (I know the aircraft is constant and shooting is not.) I think my setup would suffice unless your in a war zone, shooting a cannon, or shooting full-auto.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Return to General Gun Chat