If Gun Ban ever passed

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

If Gun Ban ever passed

Postby TiltMaster84 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Just got into an argument with a friend and was hoping to see what everyone thought. My buddy was thinking of buying a SCAR in case a gun ban happened, but decided against it because he claims that if a ban took place, it would be impossible to find replacement parts if the gun had issues in 5+ years since it is not a very popular platform (compared to AR15)

Also, what are the odds that they would ban a lot of AR parts? I am more thinking along the lines if I buy a few lowers, if a ban went through, would I still be able to purchase all the parts needed to complete my build? I am assuming I would, but to be honest I don't really know what was allowed and what was banned in the 94 ban.
TiltMaster84

Re: If Gun Ban ever passed

Postby TTS on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm

In the previous AWB certain cosmetic features were banned in combination, i.e., flash hider, detachable magazine and pistol grip. In addition magazines over 10 rounds were banned from new production/sale.

If this ban comes to fruition, they may get "smarter" and just ban all semi-auto magazine fed rifles or firearms.

I really hope they don't get anything meaningful banned.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm

TTS wrote:If this ban comes to fruition, they may get "smarter" and just ban all semi-auto magazine fed rifles or firearms.

I really hope they don't get anything meaningful banned.

This was already struck down in Heller V DC. I actually believe that under Heller any Ban on ARs would face an extended legal battle that I don't think the government would win with the court in it's current form.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby arizona98tj on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:13 pm

If Hillary can get hit on the head so she can't testify, I've no doubt the current administration could arrange for a Supreme Court justice (or two) to somehow quickly step down so they could be liberally replaced.
arizona98tj

Postby antimatter on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 pm

Actually, the Heller decision doesn't forbid any additional regulations of guns, it just says that ownership of a working firearm within a home is a constitutional right. That's not to say the government can't make you jump through a lot of hoops before you can actually buy a gun.

As far as parts go, my guess is that if a ban passes the number of gun makers will decline, and as they close up shop the number of available spare parts will decline. You'll probably still be able to get spare parts, but you'll pay higher prices and wait longer to get them.
antimatter

Postby Snowgun on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 pm

So what are the chances of them outlawing new production AR's in general?

If they did, and one had a lower, would it be illegal to get components (if the lower is the registered part?)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Heffay on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Snowgun wrote:So what are the chances of them outlawing new production AR's in general?

Zero.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby shooter115 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:36 pm

Snowgun wrote:So what are the chances of them outlawing new production AR's in general?

If they did, and one had a lower, would it be illegal to get components (if the lower is the registered part?)

It's already a registered gun. Everything else is replacement parts.
shooter115

Postby Snowgun on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:36 pm

Heffay wrote:

Zero.

Elucidate. I seriously would not be surprised at anything right now.

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Snowgun on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 pm

shooter115 wrote:

So if I have lowers, I shouldn't be worried about picking up an upper right now while it's crazy, even if in a week the word comes out that new production AR's are now illegal?

Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby shooter115 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Snowgun wrote:
shooter115 wrote:

So if I have lowers, I shouldn't be worried about picking up an upper right now while it's crazy, even if in a week the word comes out that new production AR's are now illegal?

Uppers are not a registered part, you're fine. I'm not going to get all worked to frenzy about some ban that has a slim chance of going anywhere. Once people realize that this is going to drag out and most likely go nowhere, the supply channels will hopefully free up a bit.
shooter115

Postby Heffay on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:01 am

Snowgun wrote:
Heffay wrote:

Zero.

Elucidate. I seriously would not be surprised at anything right now.

There is no chance any bill being passed would be worse than the '94 AWB. Guns are too popular. They would be handing the House and Senate to the Republicans in 2014 if they tried to do something like that.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby whiteox on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:17 am

Heffay wrote:
There is no chance any bill being passed would be worse than the '94 AWB. Guns are too popular. They would be handing the House and Senate to the Republicans in 2014 if they tried to do something like that.

^^^^^ This. I was on the fence with more than one of my votes this year. A ban would definitely change the population of the House in 2014 if I have anything to say about it.
whiteox

Postby Northfield 556 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 am

Oh pretty pink unicorn, I wouldn't say never. I wouldn't have believed that Pmags would be sellin for 60 bucks a piece one week ago, but guess what... Look at Gunbroker right now and you will see astonishing things. I only hope that you are right, and that things will get back to normal, but this time I highly doubt it :|
Northfield 556

Postby shooter115 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:36 am

Northfield 556 wrote:Oh pretty pink unicorn, I wouldn't say never. I wouldn't have believed that Pmags would be sellin for 60 bucks a piece one week ago, but guess what... Look at Gunbroker right now and you will see astonishing things. I only hope that you are right, and that things will get back to normal, but this time I highly doubt it :|

People can list things on GB for whatever they want, but anyone that actually buys a Pmag for $60 is a blooming idiot. Even at the height of the Clinton ban you could buy 30 rounders at half that price. Just keep feeding the hysteria why don't ya. You must think there is some magic wand the libs can wave that will ban everything tomorrow.
shooter115

Next

Return to General Gun Chat