Gun Ownership Statistics Question

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun Ownership Statistics Question

Postby ferric021 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Does anyone know where an actual gun ownership per capita statistic for different countries would be? Everywhere I look is the same statistic being quoted from a Washington Post article ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/15/what-makes-americas-gun-culture-totally-unique-in-the-world-as-demonstrated-in-four-charts/ ) which uses the term "gun ownership per capita" in a very misleading way since they are actually just calculating GUNS per capita, not GUN OWNERSHIP per capita.
Gun OWNERSHIP per capita would take the total number of PEOPLE who own guns and divide it by the total number of people, whereas this article is just taking the total number of GUNS and dividing it by the total number of people.

This article gets an astounding ~90% "gun ownership per capita" and I am getting sick of this stat being thrown around in different articles as if it actually represents a gun OWNERSHIP rate. I was just trying to compare what percentage of Americans own guns versus other countries, and this offensively misleading stat keeps popping up.

I'd imagine both of these stats are just mere estimates anyway, but I don't really even know of a ballpark figure to go off of.
ferric021

Re: Gun Ownership Statistics Question

Postby whiteox on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 am

I think this is tough to come by accurately in the US as there is no registry of owners, only surveys.

Might be easier to obtain from Europe as many of those countries require a license.
whiteox

Postby ferric021 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 am

Nevermind, I think I found a ballpark answer.

From my second edition of John Lott's "More Guns, Less Crime" circa 1998, he estimates between 75 and 86 million (page 1, chaper 1.... yeah I'm an idiot for not looking here sooner) in the US own guns. That was in 1998, but that's around 27% or so... way lower than 90%.
ferric021

Postby photogpat on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:21 am

The usual stat is 88 guns per 100 US residents.

I think...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Return to General Gun Chat