Could they take our guns??

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Could they take our guns??

Postby Dick Unger on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 am

Our government is not yet strong enough to take all our guns. Hell it's not strong enough to make us all pay taxes. But they could erode things litlle by little. And that's what is ahppening.

After pistols are limited to 6 in the mag, they'll strenghthen the "loophole' of preban stuff. Pay the gun companies to reeplace the old mags, decide that mags more than 10 years old are probably unsafe because of the spring, etc. Later when 6 shots are standard, start to retire semiautos because revolvers are just as good but can't be reloades as quickly for mass shootings.

To ban guns they've got to somehow get rid of semiauts, in rifles and shotguns. Fortunately those are now the most popluar guns, in the USA. We've gopt to keep it that way. Most people in the world can't have semiauto guns, eventually, we'll be isolated. America won't support giving up guns, but the world as a whole will support it.
Dick Unger

Postby Kokeba07 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:54 am

When you fill out a 4473 when you purchase a fire arm the only info that the goverment gets is ; your name, place of birth, height and weight, gender, birthday, social security number if you choose to give it, if you are hispanic or latino or not hispanic or latino, race, what your state of residence is, if you are a US citizen. and if you are purchasing a Handgun, Long gun, or other firearm ( Lower Receiver, PG Shotgun). Yes the ATF or any other goverment agency could sort through all of the files and find out if you had bought an AR or not. Then when they come to your house looking for it you tell them you sold it to a private party. Minnesota has no form of gun registration.
Kokeba07

Re: Re: Could they take our guns??

Postby tman on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 am

Dick Unger wrote:.

After pistols are limited to 6 in the mag, they'll strenghthen the "loophole' of preban stuff. Pay the gun companies to reeplace the old mags, decide that mags more than 10 years old are probably unsafe because of the spring, etc. Later when 6 shots are standard, start to retire semiautos because revolvers are just as good but can't be reloades as quickly for mass shootings.

Dick, are you trolling? Do you honestly believe this is coming?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:03 am

XDM45 wrote:
Hmac wrote:
If they have reasonable suspicion that you are breaking the law by owning contraband weapons and can get a search warrant, of course they can search your home. How are you going to stop them?

How do you think some people would stop them?

So I ask, when someone comes for your freedom, when they come for your physical ability to defend your life and your freedom, is that worth fighting for? and what will YOU do?

So, you're saying that you would physically resist, presumably using your firearms to shoot and kill police officers coming to your house to confiscate your guns? Inevitably resulting in your own death?

What I think I would do is obey the law. However the whole confiscation fantasy, including your armed confrontation scenario, is so ridiculous that I don't spend any mental effort worrying about it.
Hmac

Postby XDM45 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 am

Hmac wrote:
XDM45 wrote:
Hmac wrote:
If they have reasonable suspicion that you are breaking the law by owning contraband weapons and can get a search warrant, of course they can search your home. How are you going to stop them?

How do you think some people would stop them?

So I ask, when someone comes for your freedom, when they come for your physical ability to defend your life and your freedom, is that worth fighting for? and what will YOU do?

So, you're saying that you would physically resist, presumably using your firearms to shoot and kill police officers coming to your house to confiscate your guns? Inevitably resulting in your own death?

What I think I would do is obey the law. However the whole confiscation fantasy, including your armed confrontation scenario, is so ridiculous that I don't spend any mental effort worrying about it.

So you value the law and authority over your freedom no matter what the cost. If everyone was like that, the US wouldn't exist. Thanks goodness we had (and have) people who don't think like that. Granted, we all need to follow along and play by the rules to get along in society and not go to prison; but there's a tipping point for each individual who says "Enough!!" -- or at least I hope everyone has that tipping point, otherwise they;ll be lead like sheep to the slaughter.

As for "the whole confiscation fantasy, including your armed confrontation scenario, is so ridiculous that I don't spend any mental effort worrying about it", I don't worry either, I've given mental thought to it as a form of preparation. there are many "what ifs?" and you can s[pend you life doing that, which is pointless, but somethings are more along the line of probability than not; but no, I don't sit and mull over it for any length of time, nor do I worry, I simply prepare just in case, that's all.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby igofast on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:Does anyone remember exactly what happened in California? My memory is fuzzy (and I try to forget that California is part of the USA), I remember they had to register their 'assault weapons', and then didn't they later make possession illegal?

Correct all 'assault weapons' needed to be registered in order to be grandfathered in when they passed their AWB. It made their ownership legal, but you couldn't transfer ownership to anyone within the state. If you had an 'assault weapon' from before the ban(say outside the state), but didn't register it, it could not come into the state.

However, that's not to say you can't own a legal AR that's not been registered as an 'Assault Weapon'. Here's a very confusing chart on how to own/build one legally in CA: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
igofast

Postby Speeter on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 am

i dont see how they could ever take them, but stopping future sales is more than likely in our future. Hopefully it doesnt last too long, i could use a few more PMags but i dont want to spend 100 bucks a piece....
Last edited by Speeter on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speeter

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:45 pm

XDM45 wrote:
So you value the law and authority over your freedom no matter what the cost. If everyone was like that, the US wouldn't exist. Thanks goodness we had (and have) people who don't think like that. Granted, we all need to follow along and play by the rules to get along in society and not go to prison; but there's a tipping point for each individual who says "Enough!!" -- or at least I hope everyone has that tipping point, otherwise they;ll be lead like sheep to the slaughter.

And without laws and people who obey them, (or worse, people that only obey the laws they agree with) what kind of country do we have?
Last edited by Hmac on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hmac

Re: Re: Could they take our guns??

Postby Dick Unger on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:00 pm

tman wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:.

Dick, are you trolling? Do you honestly believe this is coming?

Sure./ Our friends will "compromise" with the Magazine limit. Give them "something". But they'll be back every year. First they got us all to believe that "background" checks help. We do that now. Then magazine sizes. Then "semi autos". If 7 shots is enough you can use a revolver. etc. etc. There will always be another CT thing to speed stuff along. Notice the antis had their talking points in order immediately.

If you think I'm nuts, I'm pulling for you to be right. Point is. don't compromise. None of us or the NRA or the gun industry had anything to do with the shootings. Maybe it's video games, but CNN and MSNBC are like video games too. The peopel who want to be remembered probably watch both. Why accept any of the blame? There is nothing I can do in life to prevent this stuff. So, even though I own guns, it's not my fault. Like everyone i stand ready to do whatever to stop it. Helping to bitch at the NRA will not make us safer. It's not a guns issue. Best we can hope for is to overshaddow things with money for schools and mental health or developmental disorders or wahtever. Don't agreee to gun control; it'll never go back.
Dick Unger

Postby XDM45 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Hmac wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

And without laws and people who obey them, (or worse, people that only obey the laws they agree with) what kind of country do we have?

The problem is that most people can't self-govern, and for those of us who can, laws make life difficult. If people could self-govern, there wouldn't be a need for laws.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Hmac on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:49 pm

XDM45 wrote:
The problem is that most people can't self-govern, and for those of us who can, laws make life difficult. If people could self-govern, there wouldn't be a need for laws.

So..you're like, in some kind of special category of US citizen? You can govern yourself so you don't have to obey the laws that are made for us ordinary folk? Those of us who recognize that a nation needs laws obey them. If we don't agree with them, then we work to change them. THAT was what the revolution was fought over, what those folks gave their lives for...so we could have the country we have now. Good with the bad. Some propose that if a law is passed and we don't like it...that's cause for armed insurrection? Sorry, I respect the system of government this country was founded on. I prefer to use the other channels available to try to make my country be the country I want it to be. I'm not going to get everything I want because the majority rules and the majority may not agree with me, but I'm not going to take up arms against my countrymen to make it so.
Hmac

Postby XDM45 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Hmac wrote:So..you're like, in some kind of special category of US citizen?

It has zero to do with any given country and more to do with being a world citizen and member of the human race.

Hmac wrote:You can govern yourself so you don't have to obey the laws that are made for us ordinary folk?

I govern myself because I can. I follow laws because I want to avoid the slammer, but that too is only to a point, as mentioned before. Some battles aren't worth fighting, and some are. No law by itself will stop anyone from doing anything though.

Hmac wrote:Those of us who recognize that a nation needs laws obey them. If we don't agree with them, then we work to change them. THAT was what the revolution was fought over, what those folks gave their lives for...so we could have the country we have now.

I don't think our nation's founders would like the corporation-led and poverty-fed machine we have now for a country. We're still a good nation, but companies and government have become out of control.

Hmac wrote:Good with the bad. Some propose that if a law is passed and we don't like it...that's cause for armed insurrection?

Depending on the law, yes, it is.

Hmac wrote:Sorry, I respect the system of government this country was founded on. I prefer to use the other channels available to try to make my country be the country I want it to be. I'm not going to get everything I want because the majority rules and the majority may not agree with me, but I'm not going to take up arms against my countrymen to make it so.

To each their own.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:If they did require all fireamrs to be turned in, I would comply with that order and turn in any I have, unfortunatly, all my firearms fell through the ice yesterday, I guess the lake was not thick enough to support the weight.

That is a shame....I feel your pain. I had a similar accident here in Arizona. I was out wheelin'.....lost traction, almost lost control when all the firearms flew out and fell down a mine shaft (hard to see in the photo but it is there). Craziest thing I ever experienced. :o

arizona98tj

Postby Evad on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 pm

arizona98tj wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:If they did require all fireamrs to be turned in, I would comply with that order and turn in any I have, unfortunatly, all my firearms fell through the ice yesterday, I guess the lake was not thick enough to support the weight.

That is a shame....I feel your pain. I had a similar accident here in Arizona. I was out wheelin'.....lost traction, almost lost control when all the firearms flew out and fell down a mine shaft (hard to see in the photo but it is there). Craziest thing I ever experienced. :o

My Jeep looked a little like that a few times. Poor thing has gotten no action in quite some time. At least firearms can be fondled while they sit idle.
Evad

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat