Exaggerated prices, exaggerated panic.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby tabberski on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm

It is a shame that I am seeing on many sites and also this one where people are attempting to Double, Triple, Quaddriple the value of their firearms and accessories. Why add to the panic, why prey on the public. I don't think this website was ever about that. It was for the common good of our hobby. Free market is a great thing, and demand will dictate the value of something. But if we perpetuate the problem, who or what is really the problem. When the shoe is on the other foot will you be the one to complain? The people who are doing this will be remembered. lets be reasonable, polite, and do our part to get things back in line again. Goverment driven panic without a solid action by them should not severly modify our perspective of freedom, lifestyles, or the interactions with each other. Play fair, and be nice to each other. If you poke me in the eye I will probably do the same. lets put this fire out.
tabberski

Re: Exaggerated prices, exaggerated panic.

Postby gearguy10 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Stopped by the Hastings gun show this morning. They had 550 people pass through the doors during the first hour and a half. And most people were walking out empty-handed...including myself. One table had 30 rnd PMags for $70 and no one was touching them. Another had the same mags for $50 and they were selling. 5.56 ammo was going for 80 cents a round and I saw an NFA (plastic) stripped lower that a guy wanted $300 for. I understand supply and demand and a free market but aren't we really just preying on each other? I have no desire to hoard or stock up. I just want to buy a couple mags and some ammo so I can go shoot. This whole deal sucks right now.
"Do you think my mind is maturing late, or simply rotted early?" - Ogden Nash
gearguy10

Postby Angryben on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 pm

I agree 100%.

But when wannabe entrepreneurs can buy something from you for $500 on MN Guntalk and turn it around and anonymously sell it on AL for for $700, they will do it all day long.
Angryben

Postby tabberski on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:29 pm

The big O didn't raise the prices or limit the inventory, we are doing it to ourselves and each other. Be nice and play fair. Make a couple of buck if that is your game, but the gouging will only drive up the market. Look what happened at the Big O's first inaguration. Bullets/cases/primers/powder have never really come down. lets try not to do it to ourselves again. This is a very expensive hobby/mindset.
tabberski

Postby Thunder71 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 pm

Uh oh, when Shippy reads this he's gonna spit good whiskey all over the screen.
Thunder71

Postby whiteox on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 am

On SIG forum if you pop in as a new member and list something for well in excess of msrp you get whacked with the ban hammer.

Not saying that's the answer, just throwing it out there.
whiteox

Postby Cuda66 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 am

Question:

For those folks getting twisted about this--if you bought gold a few years back when it was $300/oz, and sold recently when it's $1600/oz--would you feel like you were "preying" on the buyer? If not, why not?
Cuda66

Postby Erud on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 am

Absolutely. What I really hate is when people do it with stocks. I mean, if you bought Apple stock in 1997 for like $3/share and now on Friday it's trading at $500/share, you really need to just hold onto it until it gets back around $3 or else just sell it for what you paid for it because we are all in this together. If you sell it for market value, you are a price-gouging monster and are just adding to the awful problem in this country with all of this free-market capitalism.
Erud

Postby panzerr on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 am

gearguy10 wrote:I saw an NFA (plastic) stripped lower that a guy wanted $300 for.

Wait....an NFA plastic lower? Did i read that right? Who the $&@$ would tax stamp a plastic lower? That's laughable!

But in all seriousness, I agree with the OP. I put my carbine shooting on hold for the time being. I refuse to pay outrageous ammo prices. I see a lot of these ridiculous prices being driven by predatory people and I will have nothing to do with them.

I don't see a black rifle ban coming. I could possibly see a magazine ban, but I still doubt it. Not to say that I'm not calling and writing my lawmakers every day. There are more people that feel strongly against an AWB than there are that feel strongly for an AWB and that bodes well. The gun community has been doing a good job of rallying behind our rights. We just need to keep it up.
panzerr

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:28 am

New Frontier Arms. ;)
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:31 am

panzerr wrote:
gearguy10 wrote:I saw an NFA (plastic) stripped lower that a guy wanted $300 for.

Wait....an NFA plastic lower? Did i read that right? Who the $&@$ would tax stamp a plastic lower? That's laughable!

But in all seriousness, I agree with the OP. I put my carbine shooting on hold for the time being. I refuse to pay outrageous ammo prices. I see a lot of these ridiculous prices being driven by predatory people and I will have nothing to do with them.

I don't see a black rifle ban coming. I could possibly see a magazine ban, but I still doubt it. Not to say that I'm not calling and writing my lawmakers every day. There are more people that feel strongly against an AWB than there are that feel strongly for an AWB and that bodes well. The gun community has been doing a good job of rallying behind our rights. We just need to keep it up.

NFA= New Frontier Armory
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 am

Cuda66 wrote:Question:

For those folks getting twisted about this--if you bought gold a few years back when it was $300/oz, and sold recently when it's $1600/oz--would you feel like you were "preying" on the buyer? If not, why not?

No but I do get bent when guys like Al Gore buy $500 a share Apple stock for $7.48 and then sells it at market to make millions. You want o fix our economic market stop crap like that.
mmcnx2

Postby panzerr on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:42 am

xd ED wrote:
panzerr wrote:

NFA= New Frontier Armory

Hahaha, gotcha! :D
panzerr

Postby t140 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 am

I didn't realize MNGT was part of OWS.
t140

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 am

mmcnx2 wrote:
Cuda66 wrote:Question:

No but I do get bent when guys like Al Gore buy $500 a share Apple stock for $7.48 and then sells it at market to make millions. You want o fix our economic market stop crap like that.

The way "crap like that" stops is when the owner of "$500 a share Apple stock" doesn't sell it for $7.48... BTW who does that???
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to General Gun Chat