Exaggerated prices, exaggerated panic.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Exaggerated prices, exaggerated panic.

Postby Angryben on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 am

Cuda66 wrote:Question:

For those folks getting twisted about this--if you bought gold a few years back when it was $300/oz, and sold recently when it's $1600/oz--would you feel like you were "preying" on the buyer? If not, why not?

Good point. Market price is market price, like it or not. Even if you try to be noble and sell something for the 'old' price it would probably be re-sold for the market price. I wonder when the major retailers will jack up their prices instead of letting people buy them and resell them for a profit.
Angryben

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 am

Angryben wrote:I agree 100%.

But when wannabe entrepreneurs can buy something from you for $500 on MN Guntalk and turn it around and anonymously sell it on AL for for $700, they will do it all day long.

Exactly. I 100% agree AngryBen.

Now to everyone else...........

You can offer to sell anything you want (legally) to anyone you want (legally) and if they agree to the price, ok. If not, ok.

If I offer someone $25.000 for an AR-15 and it's legal to transact it), would they say no? Maybe, but probably not. Why would anyone have a problem with that? Also, it's a free market, it's supply and demand. I'm sure there are a few people on here who could just write that check (myself included) and would we pay that for an AR-15 we even though we could? if we wanted it badly enough, yes, but otherwise, no. Money isn't the meaning of life, but it does give you options that you'd otherwise not have. If you have the money, you can buy things, but if not, then not. the more money you have, the more options you have, that's all.

My only regret is I didn't buy certain caliber ammo, guns and accessories at a lower price so I could offer them at a higher one now. Lesson learned. When prices do drop, I'll be there to horde .223 ammo, PMAGs, and whatever else I can get my hands on even though I don't own an AR-15. It's not personal, it's just business, and too many people on here are taking it personally and are offended because they think they have some god-given and constitutional RIGHT to pay a certain amount for something and because the 2A guarantees the right to bare arms. Some people think that 2A must state "to own them and all accessories at a cheap price too..." Well, big hint... it does NOT say that.

That's the core of it.. buy low and sell high, and know that gun prices aren't regulated (thank goodness for that!!)

By now I've probably po'd a few people off, but whatever. I'm just telling it like it is.

Ether buy low and sell high yourself next time, OR don't.

Either pay the prices now for what you want, OR don't.

Heck. I can *WANT* a Cadillac all day long for $20, but that doesn't mean I'll get it. If I want one, I need to pay for it. Sure, I want the best price I can get, but if that price is higher than what I think it should be and I can't negotiate a "better deal" (aka meaning the price *I* want) then I either need to pay it or walk away, that's all. I'm not going to effen whine about how I can't get that Caddy for $20. This is basic stuff and really doesn't need explaining, but I feel it does because so many people seem so outraged that they can't get guns, accessories, etc, or get them at the prices they want. boo hoo. I've seen way too much whining about how the prices are this, people are taking advantage of that, blah blah blah blah whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine oh cry me a river. I'm REALLY tried of it on here. Enough.... PLEASE. JUST. STOP.

Do I LIKE paying .45 a round instead of .25 for .45ACP? No, of course not... but doom on me for not buying it at .25 and selling it at .45 myself. Now I just picked up a ton of ammo to stockpile and to hedge my bet against even higher prices. Almost no one has that ammo in stock, let alone in any quantity of the most popular calibers - except for a very few such as lucky gunner where I bought my .45ACP. Even my .22LR from Cabellas is on back order. I paid more than I normally would, but that's ok. I get it. Supply and demand. So I dropped $900 on 2,000 rounds for .45ACP. Oh well. That's the way it is. I wanted the ammo, not the price I'd like at .25-.35 a round, but it is what it is. If someone can't afford that, then either get a new hobby, cut expenses elsewhere, (maybe give up those smokes or $5 coffees or cable or whatever), figure out how to make more money, but don't whine about it.

..and next, buy low and sell high yourself. I promise you won't be whining then.
Last edited by XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 am

No one here complaining has ever bought something knowing their acquisition price was better than current market price, and wanted to flip it to make some money? Not even shopping garage sales looking for that undervalued gem someone didn't know what they had?

I've gotten dozens of tools at auction or off CL for well under what they were worth, and then sold them (sometimes immediately) for more. I must be horrible. Because that's what EVERY STORE YOU BUY FROM DOES. It's called BUSINESS.

One time I bought an air dryer (for compressed air) for $40, and didn't even take it out of the truck before driving it straight to Hoff-Hilk. I only cleared $300 on that one. Whoever bought it also got a great deal, since they were $2K new. The horror! :lol:
FJ540

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 am

FJ540 wrote:No one here complaining has ever bought something knowing their acquisition price was better than current market price, and wanted to flip it to make some money? Not even shopping garage sales looking for that undervalued gem someone didn't know what they had?

I've gotten dozens of tools at auction or off CL for well under what they were worth, and then sold them (sometimes immediately) for more. I must be horrible. Because that's what EVERY STORE YOU BUY FROM DOES. It's called BUSINESS.

One time I bought an air dryer (for compressed air) for $40, and didn't even take it out of the truck before driving it straight to Hoff-Hilk. I only cleared $300 on that one. Whoever bought it also got a great deal, since they were $2K new. The horror! :lol:

You are EEEEEEEEEEEEE-VIL. People have a RIGHT to low prices dadgum it. Don't you know that? What's wrong with you? I'm gonna write Sam Walton and ask how come ammo prices ain't droppin' every day.

end_sarcasm

Seriously...

right the eff on man. Find what works > wash > rinse > repeat. Only wage slaves are offended by entrepreneurship.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:01 am

XDM45: I'm sure there are a few people on here who could just write that check (myself included)

You trying to tell us you have a lot of money?

Do I LIKE paying .45 a round instead of .25 for .45ACP? No, of course not... but doom on me for not buying it at .25 and selling it at .45 myself. Now I just picked up a ton of ammo to stockpile and to hedge my bet against even higher prices. Almost no one has that ammo in stock, let alone in any quantity of the most popular calibers - except for a very few such as lucky gunner where I bought my .45ACP. Even my .22LR from Cabellas is on back order. I paid more than I normally would, but that's ok. I get it. Supply and demand. So I dropped $900 on 2,000 rounds for .45ACP. Oh well. That's the way it is. I wanted the ammo, not the price I'd like at .25-.35 a round, but it is what it is. If someone can't afford that, then either get a new hobby, cut expenses elsewhere, (maybe give up those smokes or $5 coffees or cable or whatever), figure out how to make more money, but don't whine about it.

Plenty of ammo around....aside from.223 anyway, and even that is plentiful at Cabela's. Where were you finding this .$25 a round .45 before the panic? I want some!!!
Last edited by grousemaster on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45: I'm sure there are a few people on here who could just write that check (myself included)

$25k isn't a lot of money. It's not like you can retire on that. I do ok in life, put it that way.

I found the .25 an ammo at WalMart actually. 100 round Federal. The .45ACP is hard to find though. When I was at Fronterisman, they had 2 boxes i nthe back room, BPR is out (or was last time I was there), WalMart doesn't have any (checked several times and I did find a box or two, but that's it.), Bill's has some but their ammo is higher than normal because they are also a gun range, so I get that. Popcorn costs more in the movie theater too, ya know>? I checked several websites and they were out of any decent .45ACP. I guess you can get Wolf and Tula all day long, but who wants to shoot that crap?
Last edited by XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 am

XDM45 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:

$25k isn't a lot of money. It's not like you can retire on that. I do ok in life, put it that way.

Thanks for clarifying, but I do think $25k is a lot of money, call me old fashion.

No issues with Wolf or Tula, it's good to go in 99% of modern firearms. Fleet Farm has lot's of brass cased .45 ammo, at least the Carver FF.
Last edited by grousemaster on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 am

Look at the flipside too - when someone is willing to pay ____ for something and you agree to sell it, it means they want it more than you do. You're providing them with the item they want - that's serving a need.

When I bought up an extra 20 pmags the Sunday following the CT shooting, it was because I knew this crap would happen (I only regret not buying a lot more), and I decided to provide my insight to help people who didn't have that perspective for a small fee. I sold magazines when they were difficult to find, and I didn't sell them for absolute top dollar, because I didn't want to just maximize my profits. I wanted to increase accessibility our community. That's why I sold nearly all of them right here on this forum.

A good deal for a customer is a happy customer. Was it as good of a deal as I got? Nope, but it was better than many other options. No one scoffed at me when they paid the 30 or whatever for my windowed pmags. They were all happy I was willing to give them up for money. It's entirely possible the people I sold them to turned around and sold them for more - if so, good for them! I know the guy I sold my lower to on GB flipped it, he told me he was going to. Woo hoo! We're all making money.

There is no victims here.
FJ540

Postby Evad on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 am

grousemaster wrote:

I can write way bigger checks than that. I have like 140 of them that are blank right now. I'll write you a billion dollar check today for a nice AR. :D

XDM45 wrote:I guess you can get Wolf and Tula all day long, but who wants to shoot that crap?

I'll shoot that crap :lol:
Evad

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:18 am

grousemaster wrote:Thanks for clarifying, but I do think $25k is a lot of money, call me old fashion.

Well, it's all perspective really. If you make $100,000 a year, $1.000 isn't much. It's 1%. If you make $20,000 a year, that same $1,000 is 5%, that's a lot higher. 5% of $100,000 is $5,000, still not a lot. Point being that the more money you have (assume you keep your expenses in check), the more disposable income you have to play with. The less money you make, the less you can afford. So goes the law of the land.

Yeah, $25,000 isn't a dinner out, it's a sum of money, true... but it's not going to really change one's life forever.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 am

Evad wrote:
grousemaster wrote:

I can write way bigger checks than that. I have like 140 of them that are blank right now. I'll write you a billion dollar check today for a nice AR. :D

XDM45 wrote:I guess you can get Wolf and Tula all day long, but who wants to shoot that crap?

I'll shoot that crap :lol:

How much of it do you want? :lol: No, seriously. I have some more I'm probably going to move. Not a lot though.
FJ540

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 am

XDM45 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Thanks for clarifying, but I do think $25k is a lot of money, call me old fashion.

Well, it's all perspective really. If you make $100,000 a year, $1.000 isn't much. It's 1%. If you make $20,000 a year, that same $1,000 is 5%, that's a lot higher. 5% of $100,000 is $5,000, still not a lot. Point being that the more money you have (assume you keep your expenses in check), the more disposable income you have to play with. The less money you make, the less you can afford. So goes the law of the land.

Yeah, $25,000 isn't a dinner out, it's a sum of money, true... but it's not going to really change one's life forever.

Thanks for the lesson :) We got it, you have and make a lot of money.... :D
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:20 am

Evad wrote:I can write way bigger checks than that. I have like 140 of them that are blank right now. I'll write you a billion dollar check today for a nice AR. :D

You must work for the government :)

Evad wrote:I'll shoot that crap :lol:

What caliber? If I find some and you need it, let me know. I'll pick some up if I see it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby XDM45 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 am

FJ540 wrote:How much of it do you want? :lol: No, seriously. I have some more I'm probably going to move. Not a lot though.

What kind of .45ACP do you have? I'm always in the market to buy .45ACP and .22LR. Whatchya got?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 am

XDM45 wrote:
FJ540 wrote:How much of it do you want? :lol: No, seriously. I have some more I'm probably going to move. Not a lot though.

What kind of .45ACP do you have? I'm always in the market to buy .45ACP and .22LR. Whatchya got?

Both of these can be had at Fleet Farm....really.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat