SPLIT ** General conversation about how ranges should be run

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: SPLIT ** General conversation about how ranges should be run

Postby XDM45 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:01 am

JohnGageMN wrote:Douchebaggery abounds, and you're living proof. :mrgreen:

Opinions are a wonderful thing and they don't always agree. I hope you know I don't live my life around the opinions of others.

I've expressed my opinion, others have expressed theirs; I can agree to disagree and if others cannot, well, that's really their problem now isn't it?

If someone wants an AR-15 for their home defense weapon, fine by me. No need to get all upset over my opinion is it? I just don't think that the average gun owner (which is the casual gun owner or hunter-only) is trained enough to make a rifle their go-to first-choice weapon; and if if the homeowner is an ex-military marksman, or someone who has the proper training and they want to use a rifle, go for it. Heck, if they just bought one and have never fired it and want to use it for home defense, fine by me. I don't think it's a good idea, but it's their life, not mine. Of course I don't think the average automobile driver should be driving at 150mph either just because they can either.

it's not like they are going to be any more dead with a round from a rifle than a pistol if the shot fired does the job.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby JohnGageMN on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:05 pm

This post was made by XDM45 who is currently on your ignore list.

One of my favorite features of phpBB...
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby XDM45 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 pm

JohnGageMN wrote:
This post was made by XDM45 who is currently on your ignore list.

One of my favorite features of phpBB...

That's the idea : See? Everyone's happy!!
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm

XDM45 wrote:I just don't think that the average gun owner (which is the casual gun owner or hunter-only) is trained enough to make a rifle their go-to first-choice weapon;

I would suggest, based on my experience working with many shooters, that many casual gun owners (the hunters) are more proficient with a rifle than with a handgun. Assuming they do not train/shoot consistently, many people have shot rifles, starting with a .22 as a kid, and continued as they progressed in their hunting careers. Handguns (as with anything) require training and practice to become proficient with it, but often the margin of error can be greater (for new shooters) with handguns.
Paul

Postby grousemaster on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Paul wrote:
XDM45 wrote:I just don't think that the average gun owner (which is the casual gun owner or hunter-only) is trained enough to make a rifle their go-to first-choice weapon;

I would suggest, based on my experience working with many shooters, that many casual gun owners (the hunters) are more proficient with a rifle than with a handgun. Assuming they do not train/shoot consistently, many people have shot rifles, starting with a .22 as a kid, and continued as they progressed in their hunting careers. Handguns (as with anything) require training and practice to become proficient with it, but often the margin of error can be greater (for new shooters) with handguns.

Yep. I'm MUCH better with a rifle, it's just a way easier platform to become efficient with.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:29 pm

grousemaster wrote:Yep. I'm MUCH better with a rifle, it's just a way easier platform to become efficient with.

HEY. That's just your opinion.
Paul

Postby JohnGageMN on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Paul wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Yep. I'm MUCH better with a rifle, it's just a way easier platform to become efficient with.

FTW!
<= Helping save stupid people from themselves since 1997.

crbutler wrote:About this time frame I began to look on Glock owners as being incestuous relatives of Lucifer.
JohnGageMN

Postby XDM45 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Paul wrote:

Correct :)
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:17 pm

XDM45 wrote:
Paul wrote:

Correct :)

I don't think so. If it wasn't a general rule, folks wouldn't use them for combat,Swat, Fish and Game, etc. They are more accurate (at all ranges), more powerful, and much easier to get hits with for nearly everyone. It's not an opinion, like saying a Rem 700 is more accurate than a Mosin isn't just an opinion, it's correct the vast majority of the time.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Paul on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

So, you're saying an opinion can be wrong?

;)
Paul

Postby bpacman on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Try as you might guys, the other personality issue with XDM45 is he has to have the last word in every thread.

Just a little quirky.

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby codilly on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm

bpacman wrote:Try as you might guys, the other personality issue with XDM45 is he has to have the last word in every thread.

Just a little quirky.

Bp

OMG I think by you saying that it did the opposite!
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby bpacman on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I know right?? You can imagine that every time this thread pops up as having a new post, it has got to be making the little hairs on his neck stand up and tickle...just a little bit. :lol: :lol:
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby codilly on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Anyways I better get some rest, heading out to Caribou Gun Club early tomorrow morning with my XD 9 to practice my quick draws at 225 yards.
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby 173rdABN on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:12 pm

225? dude, thats not even your point target yet. didn't you know the max effective range of a point target is 300 yards? max effective range for an area target is 400 for your XD9? You should be making consecutive hits. Don't let me down.

On CQB:

There have been countless lives lost over things we could have trained better for, learned faster from our mistakes, listened to someone else that found a way to improve a way we do something from their own experience. But, there is always that guy that thinks he's doing it right, the guy that comes in and changes everything and everyone starts back at square one. Now, more lives are lost, more people are hurt, and for what? That "super smart west pointer with a ranger tab thats never been anywhere but a college classroom that thinks he knows everything because he went to ranger school and changes it all after we got done perfecting it in combat and we deploy again and more people get hurt because the LT is a complete idiot" guy that you HAVE to listen to.

XD, don't be that guy that sets people back saying this is what people should be doing, and why, because you think its right with your vast internet knowledge and experience. Only using brass cases at a range, only pistols within 400 yards. Your setting the community back with your ignorance and stupidity. If you were my LT, I'd knock you the f-out, take the punishment and move on. But, you still probably would do it your way. By that, I mean no matter what people say, your always going to think your right, no matter what lessons people have learned.

Your the man XD, your the man.
173rdABN

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat