Should I be Annoyed?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Should I be Annoyed?

Postby aaron878 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm

So I had an experience at a smaller local gun shop today and I left angry.

Not sure if it's justified or all in my head, by the way, I'm not out to slam anyone or anyones shop, so I won't mention any names, but here goes.

I walked in right behind another customer, the customer in front of me appeared to know the guy working in the store, and I overheard the following exchange "We have some 5.56...you want brass right, you don't shoot the steel crap...it's 20 something a box..." Now I visited the store to look at a pistol, but hearing there was ammo, I would have bought two boxes (I saw that they were 50 round boxes so I was fine with that price). Now the other customer and the store employee were busy chatting which is fine, so I paced around the store for about 5 or 10 minutes until another employee came from the back to show me the gun I was looking at. I got the fondles out of my system and asked if they had any more of the 5.56 ammo in the back that I could buy. I was told "All we have is steel cased, and it isn't checked into the system yet."

So two issues: first apparently it is "checked in" and ready to sell, because the guy over there is buying it as we speak, and second, from what I overheard there is brass cased ammo as well as steel stuff. I didn't take it any further than that but I left the shop annoyed, I realize that supply is ridiculous right now, but if ammo is being held for "special" customers, I wouldn't have been upset if I was told the truth - "I'm sorry, we only received a limited quantity and we're reserving it for - XXX." Also if the employee would have offered to check if the ammo was ready in the back I would have felt better, instead I got a "It isn't checked in" as I watch the other customer paying for it. I probably could have thrown a fit and caused a scene and walked out of there with a few boxes of ammo, but I didn't have the energy.

I realize the situation is a little crazy right now, but the places that are going to keep my business and respect are the ones who don't out and out price gouge, and who can keep their customer service in tact (Midway and Brownells so far have been great), it's great to take care of a buddy when you can, but if you do it in front of other customers and then don't treat them the same way there's going to be some resentment.
aaron878

Re: Should I be Annoyed?

Postby LePetomane on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 pm

I would be pissed off, too.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby justinvan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 pm

I am not sure what to say... there is most definatly a "good old boys club" at a lot of the local shops. Guess its a good thing if your in the loop and a crappy thing if your not. Not saying its right, just saying thats the way it seems to be.
justinvan

Postby Inspiribomb on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 pm

If it bothered you enough, let your wallet do the talking and take your business elsewhere. I am sure there are plenty of other shops who would be happy to take your money :D
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby MXGreg on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm

It's hard to judge without knowing more. Perhaps the customer bought a $2000 gun when the shop had no ammo for it and was told he would be notified as soon as ammo showed up? Maybe six customers did this?
MXGreg

Postby minnhawk on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:21 pm

I had just the opposite happen to me in Scheels at St. Cloud this afternoon about 5:30. Went upstairs and was looking over the projectile section when one of the salesmen started setting out 50 and 100 ct boxes of .223. I asked him if he had any bulk .223 (500 rd) and he said, "let's go look." Followed him out to a pallet stacked 4 feet high with boxes with mixed projectiles in each one. Doggone if he didn't go through every cardboard box looking for bulk .223 for me. Then we went to a second pallet, but that was mainly cast boolits and shotgun shells. Very pleasant to me even though he spent 15 minutes looking and didn't find what I was looking for. He went in the back to check there as well, so I guess once in awhile you get lucky in a big box store. They also had Made in South Korea magpull style 30 round mags for $29.99, but I passed on those as well. I can wait until the Colorado factory catches up with demand......
Eleven-Bravo, 1/4 INF, 3ID
minnhawk

Postby LePetomane on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 pm

minnhawk wrote:I had just the opposite happen to me in Scheels at St. Cloud this afternoon about 5:30.

I've always been treated very well at Scheels in St.Cloud.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby msnden on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I think you should have inquired, & if the answer wasn't satisfactory asked to see the manager, there may have been a good explanation, if not at least the manager would have been notified. jmop
msnden

Should I be Annoyed?

Postby aaron878 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 pm

msnden wrote:I think you should have inquired, & if the answer wasn't satisfactory asked to see the manager, there may have been a good explanation, if not at least the manager would have been notified. jmop

95% sure the manager was the employee chatting with his buddy. I was thinking about it though, if it was a big box store I definitely would have said something, but I go to the smaller shops because I feel like I get better service, the idea of "fighting" for good service in a shop like that put me off and I left.
aaron878

Should I be Annoyed?

Postby NMRMN on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:54 am

-
Last edited by NMRMN on Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby LePetomane on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:02 am

Expressing your displeasure with your feet/wallet will have more impact on a smaller shop than on a major retailer. Cabelas, Gander Mountain and others could care less if you walk out empty handed. One dissatisfied customer means nothing to them.
Last edited by LePetomane on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
LePetomane

Postby Synergy on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:04 am

I wouldn't be pissed off, its their store and they can do what they want and you have the right to not shop there. I'm not saying what they did was a good business practice and if it does bother you I would let them know what happened and let the know your never coming back.
Synergy

Postby LePetomane on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 am

The problem is that the ammo crunch has created a sellers market so these guys who have the ammo in stock feel that they can screw with you. I wouldn't take that crap for a minute. Let them know how you feel and your future plans. I would much rather support a small shop than a major retailer (who is out to put that small shop out of business) but I'll go where I am treated better.

WJLP
LePetomane

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 am

So what would your expectation, as a customer be if you were a long time customer, and were coming in for some ammo for that newest $2k rifle-one of many you bought from this shop?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby msnden on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 am

I think we may be jumping to conclusions, after all we really do not know what was transpiring with that other customer, that is why I think it is important to ask and find out before we walk out or get pi$$ at a stores policy. I think with the economy today, stores, big or small are very interested in customer satisfaction, and walking out with out voicing your displeasure really doesn't do much good, if It were me, I would go back & talk to someone & explain (as you have done here) your experience, then & only then, should a person take action, sometime a simple thing as a letter to the corporate office brings some wonderful results, again jmop msn
msnden

Next

Return to General Gun Chat