Interesting tidbit overheard at Fleet Farm

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Interesting tidbit overheard at Fleet Farm

Postby LarryP on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Are the mfgr's trying to meet the demand?? Who knows??

Can't see a better way to increase profit by creating and keeping a demand for it.

Heffay wrote:This is a good time to sell ammo. The ammo makers are probably putting out as many rounds as they can, and eventually the people who are stocking up will stop buying due to lack of funds/space/spousal approval.

It's just an ammo bubble. Be ready for the down side! And there will be a down side.
LarryP

Postby XDM45 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Cheapest .45ACP I've found is .72 a round. Eff that.

I'll shoot 1,000 for the year and be done with it. Come January 2014 I'll order more. Hopefully prices will be down then, if not, I'll wait until they are. I'll order a ton of it when I do order. I'm thinking 5,000 in .45ACP and 20k in .22LR.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby SamM on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:24 pm

I wonder if large purchase tracking is in any of the planned amendments. There was a time large powder, or was it any powder?, purchases were logged. Then the ATF comes knocking because you bought 20k .22lr rounds... You know, just in case there's a zombie rabbit outbreak...
SamM

Postby XDM45 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:11 pm

SamM wrote:I wonder if large purchase tracking is in any of the planned amendments. There was a time large powder, or was it any powder?, purchases were logged. Then the ATF comes knocking because you bought 20k .22lr rounds... You know, just in case there's a zombie rabbit outbreak...

I hope not.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby peckerhead on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Trying to barter or buy ammo on armslist is about enough to make a guy lose faith in humanity. Those people are crazy.

Good thing for us were talking about ammunition and not food and water. If the latter were the case, half of us would be dead by now. Buy low sell high!
peckerhead

Postby SharpRule on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I would rather save the money and use to buy new guns than buy target ammo at ridiculous prices. I'm not going to support the price gougers when I could have a nice 1911 or whatever else. It would be something else to enjoy when the stock comes back and we can walk in and buy what we want at msrp or less...we can all dream right?
XDm .45
XDm 3.8 9mm
SharpRule

Postby GordyTheCook on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:34 pm

peckerhead wrote:Trying to barter or buy ammo on armslist is about enough to make a guy lose faith in humanity. Those people are crazy.

Good thing for us were talking about ammunition and not food and water. If the latter were the case, half of us would be dead by now. Buy low sell high!

Sad to hear. don't come knocking on my door when half of you are out of food. Will trade #10 cans of sour kraut for ammo :D
if you have 40 or 9mm is HP i mite be willing to trade re-fried beans :lol:
GordyTheCook

Postby XDM45 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:58 pm

peckerhead wrote:Trying to barter or buy ammo on armslist is about enough to make a guy lose faith in humanity. Those people are crazy.

On a serious note.... think about that for a minute.

If a SHTF situation, even a temporary one like Katrina happened, do you really think your fellow human being won't shoot you, bend your corpse over and commit a vile act before they give or even sell you some food and/or water? I'm afraid the "eff you! I got mine...and now give me yours too!" would happen all too quickly. It's every person for themselves. Maybe I'm just too jaded and lack faith in humankind, or maybe I'm just a realist, it's a matter of opinion.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby GordyTheCook on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:44 pm

XDM45 wrote:

On a serious note.... think about that for a minute.

If a SHTF situation, even a temporary one like Katrina happened, do you really think your fellow human being won't shoot you, bend your corpse over and commit a vile act before they give or even sell you some food and/or water? I'm afraid the "eff you! I got mine...and now give me yours too!" would happen all too quickly. It's every person for themselves. Maybe I'm just too jaded and lack faith in humankind, or maybe I'm just a realist, it's a matter of opinion.

In a lot of ways I agree with you. I believe in being prepared, as f%&*ed up as it sounds the people I work with, and most the people who Know me and know I am prepared have no clue ware I live. lets just say there is a pretty short list of like minded people who know what to do if things go bad.
GordyTheCook

Postby peckerhead on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 pm

I think you're both spot on.
peckerhead

Interesting tidbit overheard at Fleet Farm

Postby Stoley_XD on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Couple weeks ago I was at the Walmart in Lakeville and lo and behold there was two boxes of federal 45 ACP sitting on the shelf it was the first pistol ammo I've seen since December...and I passed on it, if it would've been boxes of 22 LR I would've been all over it. I've built up a pretty good stockpile of multiple pistol rounds and rifle rounds but for some reason I've neglected 22LR I guess I always assume that it would be available at any time.

Now on the other hand every time I go in there they always have 17 HMR and plenty of shotgun shells... looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot of .17 shooting and clays this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stoley_XD

Postby bjohnson on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:07 pm

I was at the BP Fleet Farm over Easter weekend. Ended up chatting with a guy looking for ammo, he told me he was talking to one of the people working there and they said when they get ammo in, they just wheel the pallet over and leave it there. They don't bother putting it on the shelf because it's a waste of time. Apparently a couple times they have wheeled out the pallet, a guy saw it, asked the clerk how much there was, then said he'll take it all....
bjohnson

Postby leprechaun50 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 pm

[/quote]
Sad to hear. don't come knocking on my door when half of you are out of food. Will trade #10 cans of sour kraut for ammo :D
if you have 40 or 9mm is HP i mite be willing to trade re-fried beans :lol:[/quote]

You sir are now talking about WEAPONS OF MASS DISTRUCTION and can expect a visit from the ATF, FBI, SS, BBC ETC :mrgreen:
leprechaun50

Postby MNGunner on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 am

Want food, ammo, or anything else from me in a disaster, send your daughter. The hot one, not the fat one. :o :mrgreen:
MNGunner

Postby goalie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:07 am

bjohnson wrote:I was at the BP Fleet Farm over Easter weekend. Ended up chatting with a guy looking for ammo, he told me he was talking to one of the people working there and they said when they get ammo in, they just wheel the pallet over and leave it there. They don't bother putting it on the shelf because it's a waste of time. Apparently a couple times they have wheeled out the pallet, a guy saw it, asked the clerk how much there was, then said he'll take it all....

Not exactly great business practice if true.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat