I have a fear...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

I have a fear...

Postby Josh189 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 pm

I was talking with my Dad and Brother the other day, when something my Dad said frightened the crap out of me. He said the next time someone cuts him off in traffic he's gonna call the cops and say they were waving a gun around. I knew he was kidding but then I got to thinking. What if an incredibly unstable Anti-Gunner is pissed at me for no reason and sees my NRA sticker and calls the cops and lies, saying I was waiving a gun around. There are no laws to combat this type of crime, other than falsely reporting a crime. But I know when 'I' get pulled over and I AM CARRYING. I'll be sent off to jail without due process, as seems to be commonplace in today's society. The thing that scare me most is, I could lose my rights as a result of this. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought about this, or has any way we can combat this type of perceived action with legislation.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Josh189

Re: I have a fear...

Postby Heffay on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Josh189 wrote:I was talking with my Dad and Brother the other day, when something my Dad said frightened the crap out of me. He said the next time someone cuts him off in traffic he's gonna call the cops and say they were waving a gun around. I knew he was kidding but then I got to thinking. What if an incredibly unstable Anti-Gunner is pissed at me for no reason and sees my NRA sticker and calls the cops and lies, saying I was waiving a gun around. There are no laws to combat this type of crime, other than falsely reporting a crime. But I know when 'I' get pulled over and I AM CARRYING. I'll be sent off to jail without due process, as seems to be commonplace in today's society. The thing that scare me most is, I could lose my rights as a result of this. I'm just wondering if anyone else has thought about this, or has any way we can combat this type of perceived action with legislation.

If you're really worried about it, get a gopro for your car. Russians film their rides all the time.

And if you don't want to spend the $300 for a Gopro, try this instead:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=11704

Monoprice makes great stuff. Always get your cables through them.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Josh189 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I've actually been thinking about that. In case an officer wants to trump up charges or something. It seemed to have helped the guy in Texas that was with his kid.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Josh189

Postby Heffay on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Josh189 wrote:I've actually been thinking about that. In case an officer wants to trump up charges or something. It seemed to have helped the guy in Texas that was with his kid.

It's a strange fear to have, considering the odds of it. Basically, you're probably in more danger of getting hit by lightning than what you're afraid of.

But, if you have one of those cameras, you can use it for other stuff as well!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby MXGreg on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Remove the NRA and any gun related stickers from your car.
MXGreg

Postby ktech on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Heffay wrote:http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=117&cp_id=11704

Monoprice makes great stuff. Always get your cables through them.

+1

Also yeah, seems a bit overcautious to be worried about that.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Josh189 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:46 pm

It's not like I'm losing sleep over it. I just think things through the worst case scenario and this seems to be something that without a camera and documented driving, this wouldn't be easily thwarted.
Josh189

Postby ktech on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Don't forget you're innocent until proven guilty.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
ktech

Postby Username000 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:58 pm

ktech wrote:Don't forget you're innocent until proven guilty.

LOL
http://darkiceco.webs.com
T-Shirts, Cool Dogtag Necklaces, Tech/Computer Services,
Advertising Services, and much more!
Username000

Postby AFTERMATH on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Heffay wrote:
Josh189 wrote:I've actually been thinking about that. In case an officer wants to trump up charges or something. It seemed to have helped the guy in Texas that was with his kid.

It's a strange fear to have, considering the odds of it. Basically, you're probably in more danger of getting hit by lightning than what you're afraid of.

But, if you have one of those cameras, you can use it for other stuff as well!

But getting struck by lightning would probably be a preferable occurrence.

It's possible, is the threat worth the expense? I don't know, generally trumped up charges don't hold up in the long run. They'r usually just trying to find some reason to bring you in, and hopefully get you to talk on something else. Remember they have to prove your guilt, you don't need to prove your innocence. Not gonna say it always works that way.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby Rodentman on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 pm

I think the above situation is possible, but not likely and if you're innocent, you really will prevail.
Rodentman

Postby tenmilmag on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:43 pm

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=11704

Nice camera for sure, anyone interested in a price break?

Our Price
1 $98.88
2 - 9 $96.56
10 - 19 $94.25
20 - 49 $91.93
50+ $89.61
• Availability : In Stock
tenmilmag

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:02 pm

I can't beleive no one has yet given you the correct advice.

I would suggest you not cut your dad off in traffic.
Holland&Holland

Postby Synergy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:19 pm

About two weeks ago this A hole on the road got into it with me, classic case of road rage so I waved my cell phone at him then proceeded to pretend to call the cops. he backed WAY off. I also had my gun with me and thought I shouldn't have done that because he may have mistaken my cell phone for a gun.

You never know
Synergy

Postby Heffay on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Synergy wrote:About two weeks ago this A hole on the road got into it with me, classic case of road rage so I waved my cell phone at him then proceeded to pretend to call the cops. he backed WAY off. I also had my gun with me and thought I shouldn't have done that because he may have mistaken my cell phone for a gun.

You never know

I've always been a big proponent of doing that. Or using the camera to record the action. Once people think they are on record, they generally back off.
Heffay

Next

Return to General Gun Chat