Has everyone downloaded their gun today?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Has everyone downloaded their gun today?

Postby jdege on Wed May 08, 2013 9:38 am

Truthfully, given the dependence of this design on the availability of a specific, not-particularly-common, centerfire cartridge, I don't see this as all that big a deal. The lunatic anti-gun nuts are already talking about the necessity for clamping down on ammunition availability. And we've all seen the empty shelves.

I'd be far more interested in a design that worked with black powder. Or, in case of future restrictions on commercial powder, with improvised propellant mixes - both KNO3 based, and alternatives - KCL03, NaCL03, KMnO4, etc.

I'd love to see a YouTube of one of these things being fired using a propellant mix worked up in a kitchen from ordinary table salt and sugar.

That'd cause some serious knicker-twisting.
jdege

Postby 45xdacp on Thu May 09, 2013 6:26 pm

That didn't take long.

"Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”

- Defense Distributed website

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/ ... z2SqRWizNn

Even though there was over 100,000 downloads already ;)
45xdacp

Postby ZardozCZ on Fri May 10, 2013 8:45 am

I see this as a good opportunity to bring gun control matter into First Amendment Rights arena. There is seriously huge money in preserving the First Amendment as is, and as such is regarded as sacrosanct by sane politicians.

If we can bring the gun control conversation into this First Amendment sanctuary, it will cool them down for fear of reprisal by those who survive by First Amendment rights. Printing guns, electronic file distribution, any move to thwart those is a move to thwart printing and distribution of words. They are just too similar and if the politicians approach censorship of weapon files they're broaching the protection of First Amendment. Plastic printers are no more dangerous than laser printers, unless you want to eliminate the First Amendment as well.

Anyway better minds than mine will find this gun printing situation to evolve the constitutional rights angle to the holiest of holies, the First Amendment (protects campaign funding, all sorts of stuff they don't want to lose).

I need to see one of these printers in action. My perception is still like waving a hot melt glue gun around to 'make' something. Obviously they've taken this way beyond the early prototypes I saw in the 80s and 90s. Those models had little integrity or accuracy.
ZardozCZ

Postby Collector1337420 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:57 pm

So, apparently the ATF can just override the 1st Amendment willy-nilly whenever they want I guess.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Collector1337420

Postby Username000 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm

45xdacp wrote:That didn't take long.

"Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.”

- Defense Distributed website

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/05/09/ ... z2SqRWizNn

Even though there was over 100,000 downloads already ;)

Nice try feds. I have the file if anyone wants it.
http://darkiceco.webs.com
T-Shirts, Cool Dogtag Necklaces, Tech/Computer Services,
Advertising Services, and much more!
Username000

Postby Nalez on Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 pm

If you use bittorrent, you can always just google for 6C4089AC6C134F1B2DFF18499658B228D9EB2657
Nalez

Postby CarRacer on Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Great write up on how this whole " Liberator" thing is basically meaningless at this point, regardless if you are pro or con about it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/10/oh_no_its_the_plastic_3d_gun/
CarRacer

Postby MaryB on Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I have the file too if anyone needs a copy, they can't put the genie back in the bottle once it hits the internet.
MaryB

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sat May 11, 2013 8:38 am

CarRacer wrote:Great write up on how this whole " Liberator" thing is basically meaningless at this point, regardless if you are pro or con about it.

Good find. Thx for posting. Sometimes it takes the Brits to put something into perspective
Ron Burgundy

Postby Heffay on Sat May 11, 2013 8:52 am

Ron Burgundy wrote:
CarRacer wrote:Great write up on how this whole " Liberator" thing is basically meaningless at this point, regardless if you are pro or con about it.

Good find. Thx for posting. Sometimes it takes the Brits to put something into perspective

The Liberator is pointless like this is pointless:

Obviously nothing will ever come of it.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Has everyone downloaded their gun today?

Postby NMRMN on Sat May 11, 2013 9:30 am

Heffay wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:

The Liberator is pointless like this is pointless:

Obviously nothing will ever come of it.

true. the article looks at the piece of plastic in a vacuum -- doest consider all the implications or the value as a political statement.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby Evad on Sat May 11, 2013 10:19 am

NMRMN wrote:true. the article looks at the piece of plastic in a vacuum -- doest consider all the implications or the value as a political statement.

Political statement? Like ENIAC? (thought since the airplane escaped you...and you are using a computer...I would switch analogies)
Evad

Postby NMRMN on Sat May 11, 2013 10:30 am

Evad wrote:
NMRMN wrote:true. the article looks at the piece of plastic in a vacuum -- doest consider all the implications or the value as a political statement.

Political statement? Like ENIAC? (thought since the airplane escaped you...and you are using a computer...I would switch analogies)

Not understanding your comment: The importance of what defdist has done is not that they created a great 'gun'.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

Postby Evad on Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 am

NMRMN wrote:
Evad wrote:

Not understanding your comment: The importance of what defdist has done is not that they created a great 'gun'.

I'm pretty sure Heffay was saying there will be an evolution to it...not that it was political. He was commenting when it was called irrelevant.
Evad

Postby NMRMN on Sat May 11, 2013 10:39 am

Evad wrote:I'm pretty sure Heffay was saying there will be an evolution to it...not that it was political. He was commenting when it was called irrelevant.

I agree; I was adding that in addition to the fact that the technology will advance – the major component to the story, and the impetus for the project is the political component. Read up on Cody Wilson.
Member GOA | GOCRA | NRA
NMRMN

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat