Is the panic over?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Is the panic over?

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:02 am

grousemaster wrote:Cabela's has had plenty of .22 mini mags in stock the last two times I stopped in as well as 9mm, 5.56, etc. Limit on .22 is one box per person though

The same business (Cabella's) I ordered from online which has my .22LR on back-order for 6 month will allow you to buy 1 box of .22LR in their store, IF they have it on the shelf. Sad.

I find it funny how you condemn me for NOT selling off my .22LR to make a quick buck, yet I can't get my ammo I ordered 6 months ago, and IF I could find it in a store, I could buy 1 box at a time. To me, that's sheer idiocy to sell off 10 boxes, then MAYBE be able to buy one back, IF I can find it. This only serves to validate my opinion that it is wise of me to save the ammo I have and not sell it since replacing it is damn near impossible - let alone replacing it at the 0.04 a round I paid for it.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby s4oak on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:23 am

I was at Gander Mountain in Woodbury last week and they had several bricks of .22. I was at Gander in EP yesterday and they were pretty well-stocked. I didn't see any 9mm on the shelf, but they had a lot of .45, .44, .40, .38, .357, etc. Shipments come to Gander on Thursdays so it seems to be sticking around a bit longer. Prices for .45 were pretty high, though, at $65/100 for Winchester. I can't remember if they had .22 or not. Bill's in Robbinsdale also had their shelves well-stocked last weekend. As far as handguns go, it seems like 9mm is the only one that's still scarce.

s4oak

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 am

s4oak wrote:I was at Gander Mountain in Woodbury last week and they had several bricks of .22. I was at Gander in EP yesterday and they were pretty well-stocked. I didn't see any 9mm on the shelf, but they had a lot of .45, .44, .40, .38, .357, etc. Shipments come to Gander on Thursdays so it seems to be sticking around a bit longer. Prices for .45 were pretty high, though, at $65/100 for Winchester. I can't remember if they had .22 or not. Bill's in Robbinsdale also had their shelves well-stocked last weekend. As far as handguns go, it seems like 9mm is the only one that's still scarce.

Bill's is about 20% higher than other places, but they're a range, so it's expected.

Yeah, .65 a round for JHP for .45ACP? I'm not paying that. I want my normal .25 - .35 a round. When I did do a bulk purchase online in January, I paid .45 a round and was upset. It looks like it's coming around somewhat for availability, at least in some calibers, but the prices are still too high in my book.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:44 am

XDM45 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:Cabela's has had plenty of .22 mini mags in stock the last two times I stopped in as well as 9mm, 5.56, etc. Limit on .22 is one box per person though

The same business (Cabella's) I ordered from online which has my .22LR on back-order for 6 month will allow you to buy 1 box of .22LR in their store, IF they have it on the shelf. Sad.

I find it funny how you condemn me for NOT selling off my .22LR to make a quick buck, yet I can't get my ammo I ordered 6 months ago, and IF I could find it in a store, I could buy 1 box at a time. To me, that's sheer idiocy to sell off 10 boxes, then MAYBE be able to buy one back, IF I can find it. This only serves to validate my opinion that it is wise of me to save the ammo I have and not sell it since replacing it is damn near impossible - let alone replacing it at the 0.04 a round I paid for it.

That's just Cabela's , I've bought several bricks over the past few weeks in other places. Your opinion is not validated (as usual)

You are the some guy who tried to sell 100 packs of CCI Mini Mags on this forum for $20 a box, right? So it's not like you didn't try.

You could replace it all on Gunbroker today for half what you would have sold it for 3 months ago. Where's the idiocy? Replacing .22 ammo is not even close to impossible. You could buy .22 ammo for $.04/rd right now on gunbroker.....I've seen plenty sell right in that range lately...

EDIT: Can't get 22 ammo for $.04/rd on Gunbroker, closer to $.08/rd....my bad
Last edited by grousemaster on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 am

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

That's just Cabela's , I've bought several bricks over the past few weeks in other places. Your opinion is not validated (as usual)

You are the some guy who tried to sell 100 packs of CCI Mini Mags on this forum for $20 a box, right? Lol....

You could replace it all on Gunbroker today for half what you would have sold it for 3 months ago. Where's the idiocy? Replacing .22 ammo is not even close to impossible. You could buy .22 ammo for $.04/rd right now on gunbroker.....I've seen plenty sell right in that range lately...

Like I said before..........

grousemaster,

We'll have to agree to disagree.

1) Yup. I was looking for work, but now am not. When I was looking for work, I was mainly concerned over benefits and healthcare, not money. I could live my current lifestyle quite a few years without working, but I prefer not to because of my past and current health issues, there's no way I could get decent insurance (or insurance at all) for an individual. Of course I also wanted more income, but that wasn't the main motivator.

2) You say it's foolish to not sell when you have the opportunity to make money, fine. I can see both sides of that coin for and against it. The fact is, can I go out right now and buy any substantial (5,000+ rounds or more) of .22LR at 0.04 a round right now today this very moment and not only order it, but receive it in a timely manner and not have it on back order for 6 months like I current have for 5,250 rounds of .22LR? I don't think so. If you can show me otherwise, please do and I'll place an order for 10,000-25,000 rounds today.

3) It's not your money. It's not your ammo. If you didn't have a big stash to choose to either use, keep or sell off, well, that's a bummer. Maybe you will next time, maybe not. You probably would have told me to sell off all of my Apple stock back in the 1990s vs. buying more. The fact is that I seem to be ok managing my money. See #1 then re-read #3 and consider #2.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby MNGunner on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:11 am

Got some .223 for free yesterday. Dick's had a couple of different $10 off any purchase coupons (they were valid yesterday only, at least one of them until 3PM only).
$9.99-$9.99=$0, no tax.
MNGunner

Postby rtk on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:02 am

I was in Gander E.P. picking something up a couple of weeks ago and much to my surprise they had a bunch of 9mm behind the counter on a cart. I asked if was available for purchase and they said sure so I picked some up at the overly inflated price that they charge. I sure miss the days when you could buy it for $4.99 a box....and that was not that many years ago.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:43 pm

rtk wrote:I was in Gander E.P. picking something up a couple of weeks ago and much to my surprise they had a bunch of 9mm behind the counter on a cart. I asked if was available for purchase and they said sure so I picked some up at the overly inflated price that they charge. I sure miss the days when you could buy it for $4.99 a box....and that was not that many years ago.

$4.99 a box?!?! I have only been shooting for about 10 years but do not recall prices that low - ever. Maybe you are thinking of .22? :?
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby rtk on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:54 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:
rtk wrote:I was in Gander E.P. picking something up a couple of weeks ago and much to my surprise they had a bunch of 9mm behind the counter on a cart. I asked if was available for purchase and they said sure so I picked some up at the overly inflated price that they charge. I sure miss the days when you could buy it for $4.99 a box....and that was not that many years ago.

$4.99 a box?!?! I have only been shooting for about 10 years but do not recall prices that low - ever. Maybe you are thinking of .22? :?

Early 2000's $4.99. And then the world went to Hell.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby XDM45 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Well, the panic is over for me....at least as far as guns and ammo are concerned.

I gave away 350 rounds of .45ACP to one friend of mine, 500 rounds of .45ACP along with 2 boxes of 525 .22LR ammo Federal Redbox, which leaves 1,500 rounds of .45ACP and 14,450 .22LR for the freind I'm going to eventually give all of my remaining ammo inventory and guns to. I may shoot some of it, so he'll get at least 1,000 .45ACP and at least 13,000 .22LR.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby morepower02 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 pm

I'll bite. Why are you giving your guns/ammo away? Because you do not need the money like you always post?
morepower02

Is the panic over?

Postby Evad on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 pm

morepower02 wrote:I'll bite. Why are you giving your guns/ammo away? Because you do not need the money like you always post?

Search threads started by him. You will see.

Nothing at all to do with money, lack or excess of it isn't the issue.
Evad

Postby morepower02 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Oh just read the thread. Sorry to hear xdm as I was just busting your chops. I do not pray by can send you some positive energy.
morepower02

Postby XDM45 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:40 pm

morepower02 wrote:Oh just read the thread. Sorry to hear xdm as I was just busting your chops. I do not pray by can send you some positive energy.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I actually COULD use the money now, but I'd rather the guns and ammo go to my friend when the time comes.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:19 am

As someone who just got into shooting this year and thus doesn't have a stock pile I'm hoping the panic is about over. I have enough ammo to satisfy me for roughly the next two months, but I don't shoot a ton either so that's not much. It does seem to be getting better though. I've actually passed on buying 9mm or 22LR a few times recently because the price was higher then I thought was worth it. Yesterday I was at Gander in Blaine and they had CCI 22LR Standard Velocity 50rd for $5. Just can't bring myself to pay 10 cents a round for slow velocity lead point. As long as I have some ammo I'll take my chances and continue to keep an eye out for better deals.
grimbeaver

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat