Is the panic over?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Is the panic over?

Postby grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm

It's hard to believe that we were actually wondering if the panic was over in January!It was barely started!!!
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:27 pm

grousemaster wrote:It's hard to believe that we were actually wondering if the panic was over in January!It was barely started!!!

I say expect 2.25 years. We're looking at Sandy Hook on 12/14/12 being the start date, so that puts us at 03/14/2015 before things loosen up. Just my opinion.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby grousemaster on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:51 pm

XDM45 wrote:
grousemaster wrote:It's hard to believe that we were actually wondering if the panic was over in January!It was barely started!!!

I say expect 2.25 years. We're looking at Sandy Hook on 12/14/12 being the start date, so that puts us at 03/14/2015 before things loosen up. Just my opinion.

Things have loosened up on guns to the point that dealers need to sell below MSRP to move product at a steady rate....I hope ammo prices come down, but I fear you may be right when it comes to ammo....
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Mn01r6 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:21 pm

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

Things have loosened up on guns to the point that dealers need to sell below MSRP to move product at a steady rate....I hope ammo prices come down, but I fear you may be right when it comes to ammo....

6 months ago you couldn't buy 9mm for $0.60 a round....if you could find it at all. I would say things have loosened up considerably since you can get Blazer Brass 9mm for $0.34 a round. You can buy Aguila .223 for $0.45 a round, which is considerably less than the $1 per round it was going for 6 months ago (again if you could find it).

Yes, 9mm should be less than $0.20 a round and .223 should be less than $0.30, but you are looking at a 50% increase over "steady state" compared to a 500% increase. Things have gotten markedly better.
Mn01r6

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Picked up some Federal .223 for .43 and 9 for .28 and Fleet Farm and Cabela's respectively yesterday and today. Prices at Cabelas were not back to pre-panic pricing but the tags were a buck or 2 lower on most items then at the height of the frenzy. While I would not consider it over until I can walk into a FF on a whim and pick up a bulk pack of .22 for 16.99 on sale (we may never see those days again), it does seem to be loosening up. I did also score a brick of thunderbolts at Cabela's for $21.99 but that was part of their "if you buy a gun stash" so in essence it did cost me much more than the sticker price.
Holland&Holland

Postby MNGunner on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:17 am

9mm Federal at $14.77 staying on Wall-mart shelves overnight is a good sign, although I'm sure that if it was at $12.xx it would be gone.
I was surprised to see 100 rounds of Federal .45 at $33.xx sitting there, sounds like a good price to me...
Like I said a few months back, ammo will not become the first ever commodity in the history of the world to defy the laws of supply and demand (let's hope the dummycrats don't screw it up for us with some disruptive change such as a huge tax).
I'm still waiting for the oversupply situation that almost always follows a price bubble like this hopefully resulting in some aggressive online sales to replace all the ammo I sold. I'm pretty sure that all the ammo I buy for the rest of my life will be "free" in a sense. Guns too probably, unless I go crazy.
MNGunner

Postby XDM45 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 am

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45 wrote:

Yeah, I am speaking only of ammo, I should have clarified that, but you got what I meant. Guns are a different story. I don't have an opinion on them, not sure how they are right now. What are your thoughts?
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby dronning on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 am

Gun availability while not quite back to normal is much better now. Almost any shop I go into has AR-15 on the racks and some are good prices too. Centerfire ammo is starting to show up pretty regular and the prices have come way down. Rimfire is another story I have heard it might be another 4-6 months before that starts to "stay" on the shelf.

Reloading components are a real problem, I haven't been able to find what I want and had to accept my 2nd or 3rd choice for components. Primers being the biggest issue.
NRA Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
MRRA - Life Member
NRA - Life Member

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
~ Ben Franklin
dronning

Postby grousemaster on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 am

MNGunner wrote:9mm Federal at $14.77 staying on Wall-mart shelves overnight is a good sign, although I'm sure that if it was at $12.xx it would be gone.
I was surprised to see 100 rounds of Federal .45 at $33.xx sitting there, sounds like a good price to me...
Like I said a few months back, ammo will not become the first ever commodity in the history of the world to defy the laws of supply and demand (let's hope the dummycrats don't screw it up for us with some disruptive change such as a huge tax).
I'm still waiting for the oversupply situation that almost always follows a price bubble like this hopefully resulting in some aggressive online sales to replace all the ammo I sold. I'm pretty sure that all the ammo I buy for the rest of my life will be "free" in a sense. Guns too probably, unless I go crazy.

$14.99!? Good lord, two years ago it was $9.99, then $10.99 last summer. WOW, talk about a price jump....so much for shooting 9mm cause it's "cheaper" ....ouch. Walmart used to be my "go-to" for factory ammo....now I can't justify buying ANY factory ammo...
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 pm

I was just on gunbot and with the exception of 22LR, there's ammo a'plenty if your willing to pay the price.

I would predict, barring another shooting, the market will return to some kind of normalcy, maybe with manufacture and retailer discounts, by the first of the year.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby farmerj on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:54 pm

I know where there is about 3000 rounds of UMC 200 round value packs on the shelf still after a week.

At $85 a package.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Is the panic over?

Postby whiteox on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 pm

I saw .22 minimags and winchester SuperX and 9mm WWB at fleet farm in Oakdale today.

Several flavors of .40 out also.

1 box limit on the .22, it was about 6.50 for 100 rounds.
whiteox

Postby shooter115 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Midway had CCI Mini-mags available for most of the day @ $6.99 per hundred. We're getting closer to normal everyday.
shooter115

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:46 pm

My local fleet store still doesn't have handgun ammo. Pathetic!
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby cobb on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:49 pm

Just placed an order to Kahr through their instructor program. In the past it took a month or 2, was told now to expect 8 to 10 months for my order. :shock:

Yes I verified, months not weeks. :cry:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat