11%
86 and higher -- Expert
29%
Haven't taken it yet
47%

Total votes : 17

Re: Who's up for a challenge?

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 am

Well there you go, might be something for the pistol guys after all.. ;)
yuppiejr

Postby igofast on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:01 pm

yuppiejr wrote:Hitting a 1" target consistently at 25 yards from an unsupported position for a shooter without any real training even with a scope is harder than it appears. Someone who's used to sitting at a bench with their forend on bags blasting through a scope is likely in for a rude awakening - particularly when it comes to figuring out how to use the sling properly for support.

This. For those of you who think that it's too easy with a scope, where are your perfect targets? Unless you have proper form, a sling, and know how to use it there ain't no amount of magnification that's going to help you(as a matter of fact you'll find anything above ~6x is going to make things more difficult). The great thing about the challenge is that any rifle should be capable of achieving the desired results(effectively 4MOA and wind is a non-factor) if the nut behind the trigger works.
igofast

Postby shooter115 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Alright....had just enough time tonight for two 10 round strings before the sun set. The first on the left was dialing in the 25 yard zero for Fed 711B's. I'm pretty sure the second target was shot in less than 30 seconds. I didn't have time to get the shot timer out. Both were shot unsupported prone without a sling. Next chance I get I'm going for 2 targets with 10 shots each in under 60 seconds. Rifle is a custom 10/22 with a 4-16x Sightron scope. Let's see what ya got...post up your pics or even better video.
GEDC0381.JPG
Last edited by shooter115 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter115

Postby shooter115 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Oh and FWIW.....When I printed my targets out the black only came to .90".
shooter115

Postby xd ED on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:38 am

shooter115 wrote:Oh and FWIW.....When I printed my targets out the black only came to .90".

"Print @ 100%"
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Scratch on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 am

Mine also printed out a little undersized and I printed them at 100%.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Nice shooting shooter!
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby shooter115 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:20 am

xd ED wrote:
shooter115 wrote:Oh and FWIW.....When I printed my targets out the black only came to .90".

"Print @ 100%"

I also printed at 100% and had a dozen printed off before I realized they were undersized......oh well, I'll take the additional challenge. Not like there's a new pickup on the line here or anything. Once I get my 1 1/4" sling swivel and can get my cuff sling attached I'm going to give it a whirl offhand. Kinda fun, I seldom get that rifle out anymore and forget how stupid accurate it is for an autoloading .22.
10 22.JPG
shooter115

Postby SparkyJeff on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:05 pm

yuppiejr wrote:I was thinking of shooting the challenge one-handed with a 60# draw compound bow after watching a couple loops of Kate Upton showing us her version of the Cat Daddy on Youtube.

A 60# bow? one handed?

Upton-Cat-daddy.gif
Upton-Cat-daddy.gif (1.86 MB) Viewed 4155 times

Wait.. huh?

Wat?
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby shooter115 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Damn....I think I just watched that for 15 minutes straight....lol

As far as yuppies deleted post goes I can only assume you're trying to mock me in some way for saying I was going to attempt the challenge offhand. Well I'm sorry you feel that way. I wasn't trying to be boastful about it, I'm just a competitive guy by nature. And by competitive I mean I am also very competitive with myself. For me shooting the challenge prone was way too easy......So for me to challenge myself I feel no fault in upping the ante. This is just for fun afterall..,.....right? It probably doesn't hurt that I've been shooting in a 4 position rimfire league for almost 10 years. For a lot of folks who don't practice this type of shooting it is going to be as it's called.....a challenge.
shooter115

Postby shooter115 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:34 am

Well it was a beautiful morning for shooting so I headed out to the backyard to dominate the Rifleman's Challenge offhand............and failed miserably. In a dozen tries I never got more than 7 in the bull. Without being able to re-set and breath properly, by the time I would get to my 5-6 shot my wobble would be so bad that I was crossing all over the target.

Other challenges were without a palm rest on my 10/22 I couldn't really anchor my supporting elbow into my ribs. Also by laying my palm directly under the action I caused several malfunctions by getting my fingers into the charge handle. Give me my Winchester 52C and 10 minutes and I'll nail it (if I don't eff up).....10/22 and 60 seconds aint gonna happen for this guy. Now I know there are some very well accomplished high power shooters here that can more than likely pull this off and I'd like to see it done. So C'mon guys, show me how much I suck ;)

Anyways after sitting out a bit to let my frustrations settle, I went at it a different way. Out of official targets I put (5) 1" dot's (actually 1") on a single piece of paper with the idea to post a single target shot from all 4 basic positions with 20 rounds from the prone position with a mag change. Targets from left to right are Offhand, Sitting, Kneeling and the (2) prone targets. Ironically I think this was probably my best attempt at the offhand. I still only got 7 in but my misses were much closer than on some of my other attempts. I was also kinda surprised that I pulled it off kneeling, which has given me trouble on and off over the years. Granted that would equal a horrible score for 50' rimfire league. For this thing, I'll take it any day. I also didn't think I was going to make it in the time limit with the 20 prone rounds after this dumbass put in an empty mag on the mag change, but made it by the skin of my teeth.

All targets were shot wearing a shooting jacket and a cuff style target sling......Still a little miffed that I couldn't make it shooting offhand, but it was a fun morning of shooting. Now I suppose I better get to work on something........like getting ready for tomorrows pistol match :D
Rifleman Challenge.jpg
shooter115

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:57 am

I wasn't mocking you at all. I made a tongue in cheek post about shooting the challenge one-handed with a bow after someone else made a comment about doing it with a pistol (it's called the RIFLEman's Challenge) earlier in the thread. I made my own post suggesting ways to increase difficulty of the challenge if someone felt it was too easy, again, no mockery included.

I believe the point of the challenge is to show people who don't have prior training how hard shooting a 1" group consistently can be and, via links on the page, sign-up for an Appleseed shoot to learn how. Appleseed will give them the fundamental skills they need to do so consistently (and thus make more accurate shots at range) including the steps required to fire an accurate shot, field positions and sling use that are useful for hunting, rimfire leagues, CMP/Highpower competition, etc..
yuppiejr

Postby shooter115 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:59 pm

My apologies.........I took that completely the wrong way.
shooter115

Postby AFTERMATH on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Hey folks - I too have been critical of them using a scoped rim-fire in the video. But the real point is appealing to the average gun owner out there and at least from my experience at Appleseed's the average gun owner has a scoped .22lr. Appleseed has always been a run-what-you-brung organization that is not equipment sensitive. While I wish I had lines full of current or potential riflemen shooting rack grade rifles with surplus ball ammo and iron sights that's not the case, at least these days. At the same time this establishes a base-line and this base-line is intended to be pushed further and further in a never-ending pursuit of excellence in marksmanship. Does this challenge encompass everything a Rifleman needs to know? Certainly not, it doesn't even encompass everything a Rifleman learns at an Appleseed. I've seen folks drill the heck out of squares all weekend just to fall flat on a QDAQT - for one reason or another. This includes folks with tricked-out-tack-driving .22lr's, shooting glove/jacket, and every possible shooting aid imaginable. Though most folks, even with tricked-out-tack-drivers can't manage even 6moa when they first show up.

But I tell each and everyone of my shooters - even when I hand them a Rifleman patch - that this is just the beginning. If they shoot it with a scope I tell 'em they'd better work on irons. If they shoot it with a .22lr I tell 'em it's time to move up to a real rifle.

Is this challenge easy? Actually, yes! It's super easy, even with a rack-grade M1... The very point is it's a standard that anybody can accomplish with what they already have on hand. It's actually doing it that is the difficult part.

The competition is only against ourselves.

Keep the pics rollin!
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby Keith on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:24 am

Drug a few .22's to the range to try this. All done without a sling or shooting mat. Prone on the gravel pit surface of Monticello Sportsmens Club. The Marlin I put about 30 rounds through to dial in the 25 yards but the Sig and Ruger I shot 10 rounds to verify and then shot the 10 shot course.

I'll start with the Sig 522. I have to say that this is the 1st time I've ever been disappointed in this gun. This thing just runs on anything I put in it. I will say that the 8MOA C-more railway dot probably didn't help. I've never shot it with anything else before. May have to throw a scope on it and try again just to see. I also didn't bother to adjust the POI as I use this for steel matches and didn't really want to mess with it.

Next up...10-22 with Tech Sights. It has had a little bit of trigger work but is otherwise a basic 10-22.

Finally...Marlin 795 with Tech sights. Otherwise it is factory.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Keith on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:31 am

Threw a Weaver 1-3 on the Sig 522 and tried again while dodging rain showers. Not great but makes me feel a little better.

Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat