Left eye dominant rifle???

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Left eye dominant rifle???

Postby xd9 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:39 pm

http://mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1520&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=left+eye

After reading the above thread and actually shooting a rifle on the right with my left eye, I have been thinking about getting a left hand rifle. I was thinking of a AR. Stag Arms has some. Anyone have any experience with one of those?

Here is one I was considering. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113051843
To be tricked out later with optics and such.

Thanks
xd9

Re: Left eye dominant rifle???

Postby goalie on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:47 pm

If you are left-eye dominant, your BEST option is to shoot with your left eye.

That said, I can shoot my AR righty or lefty, it just takes practice. I don't know that I would buy a lefty AR.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby DeanC on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 am

Stag makes good stuff.

If you put a reflex or low powered optic on your AR, it may not matter that much to you. Everyone is different. Try a few before you commit.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby sochr000 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I shoot left-handed, and while in the army had to use a right-handed m16. It's not a challenge since most of the controls are ambi, and it has a casing deflector that works pretty well. If you can find the same rifle for cheaper, get it, the experience is really no different. If you want to get one to have one then go for it, but as far as the experience it's the same (never caught brass or had problems with it).

The only things I can think of that could be made better by a left-handed m4/m16 is that moving the selector lever to the other side might be a benefit as you had to take your finger off the trigger, or use your thumb. Also, the bolt catch could be moved to the other side, but if you're planning to get a m4 style rifle your hand will be close to the release anyways.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby Ironbear on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 am

I've been considering one of the Stag lefty rifles. Mainly because I want one, but also because I want to help encourage manufactures to actually consider lefties when designing firearms. That and I really want to pelt the person on my left, with brass; who is pelting me with brass; rather than the poor person on the right who isn't bothering me! :D
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd9 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:46 pm

:D

I guess I need to try some more righty ARs with a scope to see (pun intended) if I can tell a difference using my right eye instead of my left.
I might also get some vision correction for the right eye which has a scar from a childhood injury.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone have a AR with a scope that might be at the next steel shoot? I can bring some ammo. ;)
xd9

Postby sochr000 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Well, if you're left eye dominant, you need to shoot left handed, that's what I was saying about the ambidextrous stuff. They don't tilt the scopes so you can just hold it on the other side.
God (From Futurama)

--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby xd9 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Well, if you're left eye dominant, you need to shoot left handed, that's what I was saying about the ambidextrous stuff.

Yeah. I know. But it might be next to impossible to find a lefty AR for me to try in town. Bills does not have one on their rental list and it looks like they may not be that popular or common. I know I could shoot a single shot rifle that has a right bolt fine since it does not spit the case out. That is how I did it a month ago with my uncle-in-law's Browning A-Bolt rifle. We tried me right and left and I was able to get under a 1" 3-shot group at 100 yards with the left eye, but much worse with the right. This was the 3rd time I had shot a rifle and my first time with a scope.

I am in NO hurry to buy one (unless a AWB is looming :shock: ). So I plan to do more research and try some more stuff out.

I know I could shoot a righty AR, but the thought of the brass flying out that close right in front of my face is a bit.......worrysome? maybe? Not sure the right word for it really.
xd9

Postby sochr000 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 pm

give it a shot, I worried about the same thing, but in 4years of shooting one, I don't think more than a handful came at my face.
God (From Futurama)

--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby Vlad on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 am

xd9 wrote::D Anyone have a AR with a scope that might be at the next steel shoot? I can bring some ammo. ;)

I will drag mine along. It is set up more as a long range/ varmint stet up with bull barrel and big scope but is still fun to shoot... :lol:
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby goalie on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

I have shot Highpower matches "lefty" just fine with a right-handed AR.

It just takes a little practice.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby xd9 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:54 pm

I am open to trying it.
xd9

Return to General Gun Chat