Doomsday Preppers

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Doomsday Preppers

Postby ericinmn1970 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 pm

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/11/0 ... msday.html

I don't know if anyone here watches this show. I don't want to come across as a nutcase, but I think a lot about "what if's" and "SHTF" scenarios. I don't prep (stockpile goods) because I live in Minneapolis. What I've learned from lessons taught by history's examples of disasters and massive civil unrest throughout the world is that nothing and no one is safe in major metropolitan areas. Even well fortified strongholds can be overrun given enough of a mob has the motivation to do so. But alas, I digress.

But I just wanted to share for your review those people in the article I linked!

"“We’re not in it to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us,”

That's right. They are preppers, prepping to steal, from preppers! Go ahead and say that sentence ten times fast.
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Postby tazdevil on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:44 pm

I store 2 weeks worth in case of tornado or severe snowstorm situation. The halloween blizzard started that. But I have no interest in this full scale "prepping" (nor the time, money, resources or land for it). But I love this line:

"In addition to those weapons Smith’s arsenal includes .270-, .30-30-, .223-caliber and AK-47 rifles and 9 mm and 45 mm handguns

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/11/0 ... rylink=cpy"

45mm Handgun?? That's a bit of a oddball cartridge, no?
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby infidel on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Apex predator, lol. I bet he moves pretty good wearing 100 pounds of armour.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby FJ540 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:03 pm

I posted about this choad on FB. I'd LOVE to test his body armor against some real assaults, not nearly parallel side chaff from a buddy...

Black Knight scene in Holy Grail comes to mind. 8-)
FJ540

Postby Grappler on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 pm

FJ540 wrote:I posted about this choad on FB. I'd LOVE to test his body armor against some real assaults, not nearly parallel side chaff from a buddy...

Tis but a flesh wound
Grappler

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:12 am

I am not a Prepper, but may have a few things stockpiled, but not sufficient food.
Generators yes, fuel no.
Food may be an issue as Wifey does not keep enough on hand. The 18 deer and 40 turkeys in my backyard may not live in a protected status if SHTFan.

I don't classify myself as a prepper, but do think about SHTF scenarios sometimes. I am glad I live here rather than in Oakdale or Mounds View as before, if it does happen. Have like minded neighbors, except for school superintendent who lives closeby (would take in his wife for "protection" but not him).
Last edited by OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Rodentman on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:03 am

I have our "normal" supply of canned goods, a generator, and the guns & ammo. Just because that's regular course of business here. I don't think about doomsday preppies and I don't believe much of what I see on TV. Well I could always count on the Amish Mafia, Duck Dynasty, Pawn Stars, Moonshiners, Swamp People, and Honey Boo Boo in case of an emergency.
Rodentman

Postby ericinmn1970 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:50 am

FJ540 wrote:I posted about this choad on FB. I'd LOVE to test his body armor against some real assaults, not nearly parallel side chaff from a buddy...

LOL
"The man who lies asleep will never waken fame, and his desire and all his life drift past him like a dream, and the traces of his memory fade from time like smoke in air, or ripples on a stream." -Dante Alighieri
ericinmn1970

Postby bensdad on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:49 am

The word "prepper" has been used in negative contexts too much. It no longer means "one who prepares for a potentially nasty future." Now, it connotes a level of unreasonableness or emotional fragility. Mainstream society has, for whatever reason, allowed the word to signify something "silly", "distrusting", "childish", "redneck", or downright crazy.

Not sure if this change has been orchestrated in order to discourage independence and encourage dependence. Might be that it, "just happened." Don't much care which.

We have a 5,000cw gen that can be pannel-switched to run the well, furnace, refers and one out-building. Have ~200gals of fuel on hand. Have a Berkey with extra filters. Keep ~ 6mo of chow on hand. Have about 25-30 open-pollenates that I've run for multiple growing seasons (soya and amaranth are complete protiens, btw).

Does this type of stuff make me a "prepper"? IDK. iDC.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 am

Prepper is a relatively new term. Back in the day, 20-30 years ago these people were called "Survivalists". Both labels carry negative connotations.

Frankly, when they say stupid things like, “We’re not in it to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us.” they deserve all the scorn they receive.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Doomsday Preppers

Postby PhilaBOR on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Prepper is a relatively new term. Back in the day, 20-30 years ago these people were called "Survivalists". Both labels carry negative connotations.

Just like any term that gets a bad connotation, you discard Survivalist and coin Prepper. And then that gets a bad connotation. IIRC, there was a manhunt for a "survivalist" murderer in the Carolina's a decade or two ago. About time for a new term.

It's funny because in this case it's the MSM painting us as whacko's. Other term creep like cripple, handicapped, disabled and challenged, or illegal alien -> undocumented worker comes from their side of the aisle.

And everybody should have a stock of beans, bullets and band aids. Large enough to last through a foreseeable crisis. And should be on good relations with their neighbors. Bug-out is a last resort. And raiding others for supplies is great until you hit someone good or lucky enough to take you down. The attacker must vanquish, the defender need only survive.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby coltpython123 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am

the true survivalist/preppers don't go blabbing there mouths off about how much food, weapons and ammo they have. I always find this the funniest thing about these people their so certain the disasters are coming but cant tell enough people about how much they have. Guess where all these people will come now if something were to happen.
coltpython123

Postby Scratch on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 am

I watch the show, but sometimes can't stand it! I think it was the tunnel in the backyard one, or maybe the one the week before, but the dad was telling his kid how they need to not tell their friends or anyone about their preps....as it's being broadcasted on national tv.... :roll:

I do like to hear some of the ideas, but some of them are downright stupid.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby rtk on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 am

bensdad wrote:The word "prepper" has been used in negative contexts too much. It no longer means "one who prepares for a potentially nasty future." Now, it connotes a level of unreasonableness or emotional fragility. Mainstream society has, for whatever reason, allowed the word to signify something "silly", "distrusting", "childish", "redneck", or downright crazy.

Not sure if this change has been orchestrated in order to discourage independence and encourage dependence. Might be that it, "just happened." Don't much care which.

We have a 5,000cw gen that can be pannel-switched to run the well, furnace, refers and one out-building. Have ~200gals of fuel on hand. Have a Berkey with extra filters. Keep ~ 6mo of chow on hand. Have about 25-30 open-pollenates that I've run for multiple growing seasons (soya and amaranth are complete protiens, btw).

Does this type of stuff make me a "prepper"? IDK. iDC.

I don't watch the show but I am going to bensmom and dads place when it happens....I bet bensmom will wear her special t-shirt too!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Dutch on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Scratch wrote:I watch the show, but sometimes can't stand it! I think it was the tunnel in the backyard one, or maybe the one the week before, but the dad was telling his kid how they need to not tell their friends or anyone about their preps....as it's being broadcasted on national tv.... :roll:

I do like to hear some of the ideas, but some of them are downright stupid.

Don't forget about the secret trash can.
My best guess is, that NGC paid those people royally to have their yard ruined to entertain the viewers.
The joker with the homemade ceramic tile and tar ballistic vest had the other nut shoot him point blank.... from a safe angle.
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Next

Return to General Gun Chat