SBR Parts. How far is to far?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

SBR Parts. How far is to far?

Postby QuestSHP on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Sorry, there is a ton of these posts on what you can and can not be in possession of w/o the stamp but I'm not a lawyer and prefer layman's terms.

My situation, i own a complete Stag .223/5.56 2tl and am (interested)in the process of building my own SBR and would like to go 300
AAC. Again, I own a complete 16" rifle and have just purchased the left hand upper and BCG from Stag for the build. I started there only because of the availability of the parts, left hand stuff can be tougher to find at retail price. I want the Noveske 8.2" 300 barrel and would like to start watching for it at a reasonable price because they aren't all that common. I'm not in a hurry to complete this and I have NOT applied for the tax stamp yet.

How far can I go with collecting parts before I am legally crossing the line? Does owning(and storing in the same location) a complete rifle complicate the situation? I would prefer to retain my current firearm possession status and keep my ass out of jail ;)

Thanks!
QuestSHP

Re: SBR Parts. How far is to far?

Postby Hmac on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Technically, you'd be on the hook for having the parts to construct an SBR, but I wouldn't worry much about it. If you're worried, buy the barrel and keep it at a buddy's house or something like that. Personally, I wouldn't bother. The ATF does not send agents out roaming around on NFA patrol. Unless they have a significant reason for you to be on their radar (like posting your barrel acquisition on an internet gun forum), the chances of you being prosecuted are so small as to be virtually non-existent.
Hmac

Postby bofe954 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Wouldn't anybody that owns an AR pistol and an AR rifle be in same situation?
bofe954

Postby QuestSHP on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hmac. Sounds like some common sense stuff. I didn't want to sound paranoid or naive, I just want to play it by the book for "all lawful purposes" ;)
QuestSHP

Postby Hmac on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:20 pm

QuestSHP wrote:Thanks for the reply, Hmac. Sounds like some common sense stuff. I didn't want to sound paranoid or naive, I just want to play it by the book for "all lawful purposes" ;)

The NFA is a confusing morass of typical legislative doublespeak, therefore subject to regulatory interpretation and re-interpretation with every new director or interim director (and there have been several). I figure that the best I can do is make a sincere effort to be in compliance with the law...my obligation as a law-abiding citizen...and not worry about the rest of it. In the meantime, we can all be comforted by the extraordinarily low likelihood that we will ever even meet a real live ATF agent, let alone have their agency take any kind of interest in our personal firearm inventories.
Hmac

Postby BBVEGA on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:27 am

Hmac wrote:Technically, you'd be on the hook for having the parts to construct an SBR, but I wouldn't worry much about it. If you're worried, buy the barrel and keep it at a buddy's house or something like that. Personally, I wouldn't bother. The ATF does not send agents out roaming around on NFA patrol. Unless they have a significant reason for you to be on their radar (like posting your barrel acquisition on an internet gun forum), the chances of you being prosecuted are so small as to be virtually non-existent.

I think NOT!
BBVEGA

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:25 am

For peace of mind, you could buy the lower and and attach a pistol tube until Big Nanny sends her blessings.

Or you might decide you would be happier with the girl next door who can cook over the high-maintenance beauty queen in the mini-skirt.
Attachments
image.jpg
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Return to General Gun Chat