Help debunking this.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Help debunking this.

Postby CarryCauseICan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 pm

My liberal minded, Minneapolis, middle aged, female cousin shared this on Facebook from a page called "campaign to unload". Can you guys help me with information debunking these stats? Or should I just forget about it and in about my life? I do know Google exists, but maybe someone has a readily available link...
Attachments
1798256_831477610199350_1480472128_n.png
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Re: Help debunking this.

Postby CarryCauseICan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

What about, an automobile in a home is responsible for a vast majority of children being killed by automobiles!
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby Evad on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:53 pm

If she really believes that guns make you five times more likely to commit suicide...I'd let it go.

Maybe a simple comment on the picture of "99% of statistics are made up".
Evad

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Some of those numbers might be rounded up or extrapolated from the Kellermann study. That study claimed 2.7x higher chance of homicide which they could have rounded up to 3.

The thing that always bugs me about these stats is there is no way to prove fault of the gun. A gun is just a tool. Those who want to hurt people will always find a way. If guns didn't exist we would be having this debate over some other object used to kill people.
Last edited by grimbeaver on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grimbeaver

Help debunking this.

Postby LumberZach on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Along the lines of your automobile comment, many of these statistics aren't really relevant. Similar to -countries with stricter gun laws have less gun crime. Well no duh, there are less guns, doesn't mean there are less deaths or violence in general.
LumberZach

Postby westhope on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:35 pm

The gun pictured will not kill anyone!

The slide and frame are one piece. There is no way to load it!

(If a sources for statistics are not referenced, they have no validity.)
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Nougat on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:38 pm

maybe try, if you live with someone likely to kill you or themself?
I might be wrong but I think I found that more (2000) kids die a year from abuse and neglect(starving/being beaten?) for perspective? I think theres a good chance some of the accidental child GUN deaths are really suicides maybe murder suicides based on that bit.

or maybe something like if you have an enclosed garage you might kill yourself in there too, but you'd have to try same as with a gun?

or funnier? its true! criminals use radar to find victims that are also armed to keep the playing field even and avoid getting bored? :lol:

on the abused woman one, if she doesn't use it properly that is.
the self defense one just because they didn't get shot doesn't mean they didn't leave , probably without harming the owner. stat is flawed.
Nougat

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm

westhope wrote:The gun pictured will not kill anyone!

The slide and frame are one piece. There is no way to load it!

(If a sources for statistics are not referenced, they have no validity.)

Lol those are the 3 best statements so far I think. Priceless observations.
grimbeaver

Postby mrp on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:31 pm

CarryCauseICan wrote:My liberal minded, Minneapolis, middle aged, female cousin shared this on Facebook from a page called "campaign to unload". Can you guys help me with information debunking these stats? Or should I just forget about it and in about my life? I do know Google exists, but maybe someone has a readily available link...

>A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used in a suicide, homicide or accident than to be used in self defense.

Likely source:
http://www.stophandgunviolence.com/facts.asp

A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used in an unintentional shooting, than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.
A gun in the home is 22 times more likely to be used in an unintentional shooting, a criminal assault or homicide, or an attempted or completed suicide than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.

Journal of Trauma, 1998

First, justifiable (self-defense) homicide is still homicide.

This stat includes attempted suicide and assault(where there may not be any injuries), but excludes self defense use where nobody is injured or killed.
mrp

Postby TTS on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:35 pm

The uncomfortable fact is that many of those stats may be true... That doesn't make a case for not having guns in the home.

If a person wants to commit suicide a gun is the most efficient way to do so. However, the US ranks 33rd in suicides, while the countries with the highest rates of suicide almost all have strict gun control.

A gun in the home is responsible for the vast majority of children killed by firearms... OK, the vast majority of drownings are caused by swimming pools in the home. In addition drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional deaths for children 1-14 years of age.

An abused woman is 6 times more likely to be murdered if there is a gun in the home... Yes, abusive relationships and guns cause problems; that is why our laws bar people with domestic violence convictions from owning guns.

Facts can be twisted, for instance:
100% of child births will lead to a death
Last edited by TTS on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby darthdahl on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm

You can always start here...gunfacts.info

http://www.gunfacts.info
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
All-Around Good Guy
darthdahl

Postby gunsmith on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:55 pm

The Brits....one step ahead of us.

Ban Sharp Objects:

UK Banned Guns, Knife deaths went way up, so now they want to ban knives, what will be next?
A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

A team from West Middlesex University Hospital said violent crime is on the increase - and kitchen knives are used in as many as half of all stabbings.

They argued many assaults are committed impulsively, prompted by alcohol and drugs, and a kitchen knife often makes an all too available weapon.

The research is published in the British Medical Journal.

The researchers said there was no reason for long pointed knives to be publicly available at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/458187

Wow, that sounds exactly the same as the arguments the anti constitution people are making.
gunsmith

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:17 pm

My advice would be to just not argue the point and ignore the post. Arguing with anti-gun liberals is like running in the Special Olympics.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby CarryCauseICan on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:25 pm

You're probably right to leave it alone. We've overwhelmed her with facts before, but its obviously not what she wants to hear!
Molon Labe!
CarryCauseICan

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Mn01r6

Next

Return to General Gun Chat