simple shotgun question

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: simple shotgun question

Postby Nougat on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

quote="LarryFlew"]But is there really any actual chance that the rounds in the mag of a pump action are going to go off by themselves or somehow get into the chamber(bumpy roads jigglin the forend ?)?

Not sure what the question is about as it doesn't relate to the discussions so far.[/quote]

sort of relates if you don't accept assuming everyone is a crazy pos, which is why you can't have a loaded magazine on there? also I am OP! asking, well it turns out more than one simple shotgun question... so yeah :?:
Nougat

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Nougat wrote:But is there really any actual chance that the rounds in the mag of a pump action are going to go off by themselves

Are we talking spontaneous combustion? Rounds normally don't go off without some kind of outside influence. Keep it completely unloaded for transport.
Ghost

Postby Nougat on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 pm

geeez I said I got that on the third post and a couple times later(also eluded that I thought that was the law in op)...I just want there to be a better reason than you could do something bad easier, you know so theres a good reason you should get in serious trouble for it and have to go through the extra trouble(as limited as it may be).

whats it take a few seconds to fill up anyhow so if you were up to no good whats the big difference it makes? bah, I guess its just one of those things that should make sense to me because its been whats accepted for so long?
Nougat

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Are you asking because its the law or just because it would be an accident waiting for a place to happen? You can also empty it in a few seconds so that's kind of a mute point.

Should make sense because it is safe, not because it has been that way or even because its the law.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Nougat on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:03 am

LarryFlew wrote:Are you asking because its the law or just because it would be an accident waiting for a place to happen? You can also empty it in a few seconds so that's kind of a mute point.

Should make sense because it is safe, not because it has been that way or even because its the law.

you're right the reasoning is based on general safety, I forgot all about those pesky gravity fields that can rack slides or pumps thus making any difference if a shotgun was empty or a full mag was in a gun or not?

accident waiting to happen is gc logic, accepted on this because its been the norm for so long.

give an example of how having loaded attached mags is more dangerous when you haven't chambered a round? some numbnut dinking with it isn't good enough.
Nougat

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 am

By that way of thinking it shouldn't matter if guns even have a safety since no numbnut would be dinking around with it. That way you don't have to worry about clicking that pesky safety to fire.

If no one is going mess with it we can leave all of our guns loaded with no safety, no lock, no safe etc for that matter.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 am

Nougat wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:Are you asking because its the law or just because it would be an accident waiting for a place to happen? You can also empty it in a few seconds so that's kind of a mute point.

you're right the reasoning is based on general safety, I forgot all about those pesky gravity fields that can rack slides or pumps thus making any difference if a shotgun was empty or a full mag was in a gun or not?

accident waiting to happen is gc logic, accepted on this because its been the norm for so long.

give an example of how having loaded attached mags is more dangerous when you haven't chambered a round? some numbnut dinking with it isn't good enough.

So, if you want you can NOT remove them and see what happens if you get pulled over and searched.
Holland&Holland

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:48 am

Thank poachers.
Thunder71

Postby Ghost on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Thank poachers.

Yes, because poachers follow firearm laws to the letter.
Ghost

Postby Nougat on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:48 pm

I'll go with this, since the only other choice offered is denial.

sitting around and transfering chambered are very different than having a loaded magazine with a block inbetween it and the chamber and firing pin. [don't even have kids but I won't even chamber at home, safeties are off though-really don't want to rely on them? plus my racking is more ingrained and I think when I'm freaking out it will be easier even calming possibly to rack up compared to fumbling with a safety?]

'' matter if guns even have a safety '' aren't those really only useful after you've chambered a round (unless you are really worried about click noises)? you skipped the question by the way.

I'll say it again now for those with poor reading comprehension, I said in the first post I was pretty sure it was the law and responded in the third that I understood after it was confirmed and that if someone would have said otherwise I would have needed hard proof to go ahead and try transferring with a loaded magazine.

still noones come up with any reason for it being this way except its supposedly ''safer'' as long as a round isn't in the chamber whats the difference, mags are probably a safer place than bumping around in some cases? I would bet the first step was you couldn't have it cocked if you didn't have a permit?
Nougat

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:46 pm

Nougat wrote:

I'll go with this, since the only other choice offered is denial.

sitting around and transfering chambered are very different than having a loaded magazine with a block inbetween it and the chamber and firing pin. [don't even have kids but I won't even chamber at home, safeties are off though-really don't want to rely on them? plus my racking is more ingrained and I think when I'm freaking out it will be easier even calming possibly to rack up compared to fumbling with a safety?]

'' matter if guns even have a safety '' aren't those really only useful after you've chambered a round (unless you are really worried about click noises)? you skipped the question by the way.

I'll say it again now for those with poor reading comprehension, I said in the first post I was pretty sure it was the law and responded in the third that I understood after it was confirmed and that if someone would have said otherwise I would have needed hard proof to go ahead and try transferring with a loaded magazine.

still noones come up with any reason for it being this way except its supposedly ''safer'' as long as a round isn't in the chamber whats the difference, mags are probably a safer place than bumping around in some cases? I would bet the first step was you couldn't have it cocked if you didn't have a permit?

Because the law doesn't differentiate between a pistol, rifle, pump or autoloader. My 1100 can have the slide locked back with a round in the tube and with one (potentially inadvertent) button press, it is loaded. Conceivably there are pumps that could have the action open and get it closed inadvertently while carrying it in a soft case and load a round too. Just accept it as the law or get off your duff and try to change the law, but tilting at windmills is really annoying to read.
Mn01r6

Postby ex-LT on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Nougat wrote:still noones come up with any reason for it being this way except its supposedly ''safer'' as long as a round isn't in the chamber whats the difference, mags are probably a safer place than bumping around in some cases? I would bet the first step was you couldn't have it cocked if you didn't have a permit?

Because we live in the state where absolutely nothing is allowed, and the nanny-staters in St. Paul have decreed that we aren't capable of performing even the simplest of tasks without the benefit of rules to tell us exactly how it should be done.

For the record, South Dakota allows transport with a loaded magazine. You cannot have a round in the chamber, and IIRC, the action must be open.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:22 pm

The law isn't about safety, it's about people shooting animals while driving down the back roads... as such, it's regulated by the DNR.
Thunder71

Postby Nougat on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 pm

ex-LT wrote:
For the record, South Dakota allows transport with a loaded magazine. You cannot have a round in the chamber, and IIRC, the action must be open.
combined with the post above ex-LT's and logic = :shock:

oh well at least I can fill detachable mags at home and have them in the same vehicle, seperate compartment (like in the outside pouches of soft cases) from the weapon of course (cuz they could slither in there and rack the action :oops: ?)

yeah uh, reading makes me mad! get off your duff and change the law? when noones even willing to help me understand its reason for existence or origin? sure I'll get right on that!

nobody with a reason still? just other people as mad as I am about it then too?
Nougat

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Look up one post, I've given you the reason twice now.
Thunder71

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat