Chengwatana/Places for groups to shoot

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Chengwatana/Places for groups to shoot

Postby autobahn on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:12 am

Has anyone been up to Chengwatana lately? What's the scoop?

I have a small group that would like to go shooting and we want to do some reactive/fun targets like 2Ls of (diet) soda, pumpkins, the self sealing reactive targets, and the like. Of course we will pick up after ourselves and when I go up to chengwatana I'd always bring extra bags to haul out extra garbage.

Removing the need for fun targets, are there any places open to the public that are group friendly without charging some crazy high private group rental rate? Bonus if they're not busy and we could take off our ears and chat every once in a while.
autobahn

Re: Chengwatana/Places for groups to shoot

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 am

It's a popular time to shoot/hunt in the state forests. It would be best to join a local gun club if you are bringing a big group. Otherwise it can get a little crazy back in that gravel pit. I personally wouldn't shoot if anybody else was there, I've seen some crazy stuff go on.

Look into Gopher Campfire and Rainbow Sportsmans (both west of town) if you are on a budget. Read the rules though I don't know if they let people shoot garbage. Steel targets are however allowed at both.
Sigfan220

Re: Chengwatana/Places for groups to shoot

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:07 am

Rainbow has a group option once you join. It gives you 24hr access to the clubhouse and grounds for your group for $50. The clubhouse is pretty nice and has a kitchen and bathroom. This would likely be your best option. You'd be out $90+/- total. Plus you can camp on site if you want.
Sigfan220

Return to General Gun Chat