Mercury for supressors

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Mercury for supressors

Postby bobbydamit on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Is anyone interested in liquid mercury for making their own suppressors? If handled carefully by an adult, it is safe. Just like our lead and powders. If used in 8 to 12 oz. amounts and sealed in metal tubes, like conduit, it can be installed in the butt or the tube mag. of any gun. It will greatly reduce the felt recoil. I was wondering if anyone makes these now, or is interested trying their hand at it. I know of a source and the price is very low.
"The Devil Made Me Do It."
Geraldine
bobbydamit

Re: Mercury for supressors

Postby JJ on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 pm

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... d4927.aspx

I don't install them in any of my guns, but they are not hard to find. I dont know what you are thinking for price, but above is a link to a reputable manufacturers product.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Benelli offers them as options for their shotguns with in-stock adapters. I've never felt that the recoil on any of my guns was so much that I couldn't stand it, though it would be a nice option for when I slap the slug barrel on the Super Black Eagle and shoot the Hornady SST's.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby crbutler on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:14 pm

They are usually called recoil reducers, not suppressors (ie "silencers")

I had some in one of my hunting rifles (.416 Rigby)

I had them removed as I thought it made the rifle too heavy, and really have not noticed any difference in the recoil (these were professionally made and installed by the manufacturer of the rifle) The 2 were about a pound weight total.

They do help some mathematically, but if I didn't notice it in an "elephant gun" I doubt it is that much benefit in reality to most.

The trick is to permanently seal the mercury, and of you flub that up, all kinds of nasty things can happen. Yes, metallic (liquid) mercury is safe IN THAT FORM. Organic mercury (which is what happens when it reacts with most any tissue) is really bad news. You can also get in a lot of trouble with the EPA with this stuff- its not likely that they will come down on you for putting it in your own gun, but heaven help you if you sell the stuff.

If you really want a home made weight, use lead. If you want a mercury reducer, there are a bunch for sale commercially, get one of those, IMO.
crbutler

Postby GutCan on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:31 pm

I have a mercury recoil reducer in one of my shotguns. It works and is worth the money. I would buy one rather than make one.
GutCan

Return to General Gun Chat