ATF to reclassify / ban M855 ammo next month?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: ATF to reclassify / ban M855 ammo next month?

Postby MXGreg on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:43 pm

yuppiejr wrote:Why wouldn't the M855A1 be available to consumers? Contract demand aside and assuming "creative interpretation" by the ATF is off the table for a moment (I know, in the land of unicorns and flying ponies) the bullet is made of a copper/tin alloy with the steel tip, it does not include the copper/beryllium alloy explicitly identified in the regulation.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/ ... rposes.pdf

Here's the one that I can see them using to keep the new bullet from the public.

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Being the jacket and the core is made from the same material, the jacket weight would be more than 25% of the total bullet weight.
MXGreg

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:24 pm

If they're banning M855 under the "armor piercing" definition, M855A1 will also slot in there...

Although now that the President has weighed in, I'm certain this circus will be wildly entertaining.

I predict over $1/rd by the weekend...

Its almost like they don't have a clue what happens to demand when he opens his mouth.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Listening to guntalk tonight and Tom said that Rush Limbaugh talked about the shortage and immediately all things .233/5.56 and even 7.62 sold out at Cabelas.
Ghost

Postby plink on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:30 pm

Blurb from an article on the ammo rush.
"What that's done though, is created a scare to where anything that's 5.56 mm is flying off the shelves. Friday alone we probably sold 6,000 to 7,000 rounds of 2.23 mm or 5.56 mm."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/proposed-ban-on-popular-bullet-triggers-run-on-ammo-sales/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

Too bad. My precision blowgun gets 1/4 moa with 2.23mm. :cry:
plink

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:43 pm

I suspect this President and his minions will use their executive authority to keep the arms and ammunitions market in as much turmoil as possible for the next two years.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Ghost wrote:Listening to guntalk tonight and Tom said that Rush Limbaugh talked about the shortage and immediately all things .233/5.56 and even 7.62 sold out at Cabelas.

Glad I reload for 7.62. Just got my order delivered today. Lets hope it won't affect reloading material.
Bearcatrp

Postby SRM on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:50 am

Was at Fleet Farm in BP last night, plenty of 5.56/223 in stock, thought the guy working in the area was surprised as when I asked if he had an .22lr he said nope, out of that and 5.56/223. Maybe he just knew that they had been selling a lot or something during the day, but at 7 last night, plenty to go around.

I'm surprised it would have an impact, the proposed ban is pretty clear, green tip isn't easily confused and it's not even the cheapest ammo out there. I've got around 600 rounds of it that I'll use to varmint hunting at the parents farm, but for the range there seems to be plenty of good brass out there both on the shelves and online for half to 2/3s the price of the 'green tip'.... I get the need to want to fight the ban on the ammo, but for people to start buying up all the other brass due to this is just stupid.
SRM

Postby photogpat on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:42 am

SRM wrote:Was at Fleet Farm in BP last night, plenty of 5.56/223 in stock, thought the guy working in the area was surprised as when I asked if he had an .22lr he said nope, out of that and 5.56/223. Maybe he just knew that they had been selling a lot or something during the day, but at 7 last night, plenty to go around.

I'm surprised it would have an impact, the proposed ban is pretty clear, green tip isn't easily confused and it's not even the cheapest ammo out there. I've got around 600 rounds of it that I'll use to varmint hunting at the parents farm, but for the range there seems to be plenty of good brass out there both on the shelves and online for half to 2/3s the price of the 'green tip'.... I get the need to want to fight the ban on the ammo, but for people to start buying up all the other brass due to this is just stupid.

It doesn't matter - the President has now weighed in, panic ensues.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Ghost on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:04 pm

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/police-say-obama-bullet-ban-isnt-needed-ar-15-round-isnt-a-threat/article/2560964
A top police representative on Tuesday said that there is no history of criminals using a round popular among AR-15 rifle shooters against officers, undermining the Obama administration's argument for banning the 5.56 M855 "lightgreen tip."

For the NRA haters
The administration's effort is under fire on Capitol Hill where 55 percent of all House members have signed a letter challenging BATFE's proposal.

Led by House Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Bob Goodlatte and the National Rifle Association, 235 members have signed the letter. The signatures came in at a record pace since Goodlatte's team and the NRA have been circulating it for just three business days.
Ghost

Postby mrp on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:52 pm

http://jpfo.org/articles-2015/jpfo-take ... mo-ban.htm

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
responds to the Obama administration’s
attempt to ban certain accurate ammunition
mrp

Postby steve4102 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Done deal, over, Game-Set-Match. Obama.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavli ... n-n1966761
steve4102

Postby 2in2out on Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:16 pm

steve4102 wrote:Done deal, over, Game-Set-Match. Obama.

Ain't no never game over. First of all, for every statutory loophole there is an equal and opposite loophole. And the Second Amendment... er, I mean, the second thing is... SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:06 pm

steve4102 wrote:Done deal, over, Game-Set-Match. Obama.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavli ... n-n1966761

This is BS. Can't believe NRA or another organization didn't catch this before now. If they can get away with this, you bet more is coming.
Bearcatrp

Postby MaryB on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Just because they left it out doesn't mean it is banned. Means they were thinking about it and instead of having to remove it in case they do manage a ban they left it out. Congress is against it, millions have sent comments I bet. This is active on facebook every day urging people to write congress and the ATF.

If the ATF does ban it in the face of overwhelming comments against they will face the courts and congress.
MaryB

Postby CZscout on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:22 pm

CZscout

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat