Suppressor, Second Amendment bills hearing scheduled!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Suppressor, Second Amendment bills hearing scheduled!

Postby cgrant26 on Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 am

Here's the thing about CLEO sign-off. When you have some people in the state who can't get NFA items because their CLEO is politically opposed to NFA, you have a defacto geographical ban. It's ******** when person A can have NFA and person B can't simply because they live on different sides of a county line.

As it currently sits, the trust route provides a way to bypass CLEO sign-off but the ATF is considering enacting the 41P rule changes which would require CLEO sign-off on trusts too. That was supposed to be decided on in May, but it looks like they have delayed the decision again. NFA has some pretty extensive background checks, more so than a simple 4473. Shall-issue didn't create a wave of gun crime, shall-sign sure as hell wouldn't either. Pretty sure criminals aren't going to submit a form 1 or 4, pay a $200 tax and wait several months to obtain a suppressor.
cgrant26

Suppressor, Second Amendment bills hearing scheduled!

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue May 19, 2015 6:05 am

cgrant26 wrote:Here's the thing about CLEO sign-off. When you have some people in the state who can't get NFA items because their CLEO is politically opposed to NFA, you have a defacto geographical ban. It's ******** when person A can have NFA and person B can't simply because they live on different sides of a county line.

As it currently sits, the trust route provides a way to bypass CLEO sign-off but the ATF is considering enacting the 41P rule changes which would require CLEO sign-off on trusts too. That was supposed to be decided on in May, but it looks like they have delayed the decision again. NFA has some pretty extensive background checks, more so than a simple 4473. Shall-issue didn't create a wave of gun crime, shall-sign sure as hell wouldn't either. Pretty sure criminals aren't going to submit a form 1 or 4, pay a $200 tax and wait several months to obtain a suppressor.

Until we can get suppressors, SBR's and SBSes off NFA entirely. Should be able to walk into a store, put your money down and walk out with a can.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby george on Tue May 19, 2015 6:20 am

PhilaBOR wrote:
cgrant26 wrote:Here's the thing about CLEO sign-off. When you have some people in the state who can't get NFA items because their CLEO is politically opposed to NFA, you have a defacto geographical ban. It's ******** when person A can have NFA and person B can't simply because they live on different sides of a county line.

Until we can get suppressors, SBR's and SBSes off NFA entirely. Should be able to walk into a store, put your money down and walk out with a can.

Should be able to BUT when will that happen if ever. I'm looking into trust now. I'm in one of those county's that getting a cleo sign off would be like winning the lottery.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby DanInMaplehood on Tue May 19, 2015 7:27 am

george wrote:
PhilaBOR wrote:

Should be able to BUT when will that happen if ever. I'm looking into trust now. I'm in one of those county's that getting a cleo sign off would be like winning the lottery.

I don't know for sure since I just moved here, but judging by the 20+ days it took them to process my permit renewal, I'm going to assume that Dakota is not one of those magical counties where the CLEO does a background check and then signs the NFA papers if you're a law abiding citizen.
DanInMaplehood

Postby bstrawse on Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 am

george wrote:
PhilaBOR wrote:

Which county?
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby george on Tue May 19, 2015 7:51 am

[/quote]Which county?[/quote]
Fillmore, they flat out refused permits during the mayl issue also. I'm going to set an appointment soon to talk to the sheriff sometime and see how that goes. Hell I'm going to call him today!!!
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
george

Postby bstrawse on Tue May 19, 2015 7:55 am

george wrote:
Which county?[/quote]
Fillmore, they flat out refused permits during the mayl issue also. I'm going to set an appointment soon to talk to the sheriff sometime and see how that goes. Hell I'm going to call him today!!![/quote]

Thanks - please report back - as CLEO signoff is going to be an issue we monitor closely going into the 2016 session.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby george on Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am

Well that went well, sheriff was out so talked to #1, he will talk with the sheriff and see what there policy will be and get back to me.
I flat out asked; If they do the background check and the individual is OK like the carry permit, will they sign, he said ( I don't know )
They will get back to me. I will for now take that as a no but will let you know of the call back. He claimed it hasn't come up.
He did say to date they have not but we have a new Sheriff.
george

Postby igofast on Tue May 19, 2015 8:29 am

george wrote:
PhilaBOR wrote:

I find it interesting that you're hawking a Trust service in your tagline, but don't have one.

I live in a county that does sign off on NFA items, but I still went the trust route. Reason being there are other benefits around use of the NFA items as well as being able to transfer ownership without paying a tax each time.
igofast

Postby george on Tue May 19, 2015 8:40 am

I jest started it this morning, and haven't finished. As you said it looks like a bunch of advantages.
george

Postby cgrant26 on Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 pm

george wrote:
Which county?

Fillmore, they flat out refused permits during the mayl issue also. I'm going to set an appointment soon to talk to the sheriff sometime and see how that goes. Hell I'm going to call him today!!!

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time. The trust route is still GTG and eForm 1 wait times are the lowest they have been in a long time. During 2013 the wait for NFA stamp approval was exceeding 12 months. Right now it's right around 6 weeks.

I did my trust using a friend's trust as a template but there are plenty of avenues to do it. The option a lot of people are using right now is 199trust.com I can't say anything about the quality of their service as I have not used them but a lot of people seem happy with them. They are doing trusts for $79 at the moment.
Last edited by cgrant26 on Tue May 19, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgrant26

Postby cgrant26 on Tue May 19, 2015 12:56 pm

igofast wrote:
I find it interesting that you're hawking a Trust service in your tagline, but don't have one.

I live in a county that does sign off on NFA items, but I still went the trust route. Reason being there are other benefits around use of the NFA items as well as being able to transfer ownership without paying a tax each time.

Just to clarify what igofast is saying, you can add or remove people from a trust or appoint a successor grantor (depending on how the trust is laid out and what specific powers are granted to whome). Anyone listed in the trust can legally be in possession of NFA property owned by the trust. You can not, however, legally transfer an NFA item to another entity without submitting a form 4 and paying the $200 tax again. The trust is the owner until legally transferred via Form 4.
cgrant26

Postby Kelor on Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 pm

I found this

http://www.doityourselfdocuments.com/Es ... Trust.aspx

Any thoughts? I'm still not sure any of this is worth it, but I would really enjoy shooting up at the cabin with a lower level of sound.

Also, if this goes through, would this allow someone to bring their suppressor across state lines (Wisconsin to Minnesota)?
Kelor

Postby whiteox on Tue May 19, 2015 1:08 pm

If you are looking for a trust I can help you. I'm an attorney in Oakdale and I do NFA trusts. I've been on the board here for quite a while, though not very active lately.

I can get something basic for you for $99 if you buy online.

http://www.minnesotaguntrustlawyer.com

Mods, I'll start a thread in marketplace. If you feel this is inappropriate to post here, please delete.
whiteox

Postby igofast on Tue May 19, 2015 1:15 pm

cgrant26 wrote:
igofast wrote:

Just to clarify what igofast is saying, you can add or remove people from a trust or appoint a successor grantor (depending on how the trust is laid out and what specific powers are granted to whome). Anyone listed in the trust can legally be in possession of NFA property owned by the trust. You can not, however, legally transfer an NFA item to another entity without submitting a form 4 and paying the $200 tax again. The trust is the owner until legally transferred via Form 4.

Thank you for the clarification - exactly right and well stated - I should have worded that better. An example would be if I were to pass and I had all NFA items registered to me, in order for my wife to take possession she would need to pay $200 for each item to transfer them to her(insult to injury IMHO). However, since she is listed as a successor in the Trust - in my passing she can take possession without paying the tax - as the Trust still owns the NFA items.

Additionally - as was stated - anyone in the Trust can be in possession of the NFA item. So my father(named in the Trust) could take a suppressor the Trust owns hunting - a big no-no if it's registered to me.
igofast

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat