Hey ERUD (and others): Tell us about long range shooting.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Hey ERUD (and others): Tell us about long range shooting.

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:34 pm

MJY65 wrote:Oldman,

How long was the process to get there? I'm sure you have spent years at the range working your way up to be able to shoot at that distance. At some point, you had to have practiced with live rounds before a competing. I guess my point is that I don't really see any ranges that offer the opportunity to do that unless you are already part of a league/competition. It sounds like a lot of fun, but tough to get started.

My process was long, started in 2006, shot first Match in 2007, missed all of 2008 & first half of 2009 due to health issues, shot my first Screamer in june 2010 (Screamer is 5-shots under 7" center-to-center) mine was 4.938", shot first World Match in 2012, trigger broke but had fun, 2013 & 2014 were learning years with some trophies coming home, 2015 is off to a good start.

I try to help new shooters by telling them what they need to do - to keep costs down and to speed up their learning process. I have donated brass to a few new shooters, match prepped brass. Subwofer2 used his brass to shoot a Screamer in his first Match and take home 2nd overall also. He did some good shooting using reloads that I coached him thru the entire process. His 2nd Match was an even greater success.

WE 50 shooters say we practice shooting 1000 yards by shooting a sanctioned match - mainly due to the lack of access to 1000 yard ranges here in Minnesota and Wisconsin. There are a few groups North of the Cities that shoot out past 1300 yards and I have access to 2500 yards privately. But still trying to find a 3500-4000 yard range where it is safe to shoot.

Mid July we have a match in U.P. of Michigan - first ever for us 50 shooters at this range - should be fun.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Erud on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:36 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Erud wrote:There are 3 clubs in the north metro that have weekly organized practice sessions where non-members are welcome to participate. Just get ahold of one or all of them and see what you have to do to come out and shoot with them.

Eric,

That sounds good. I was just looking at the ERSC website but didn't see those sessions. Is that one of the clubs you had in mind? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong section on the site.

Yeah, that's one of them. I believe they shoot their F-class league on Tuesday nights all summer. I believe they have some sort of requirement for qualifying on the shorter range before shooting at 600, but I don't know the details on that. Here is a link to their flyer with info and contact info for the guy that runs it. He should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

http://ersportsman.com/uploads/2015_F-Class_Flyer.pdf
Erud

Postby farmerj on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:14 pm

http://www.mrra.org/hipower.htm

The first matches I went to I found here outside of the guard.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby speedy396 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:04 pm

At ERSC, Fclass is Monday night and High Power is Tuesday night. Fclass is shooting at 600yds now and they do make you verify your zero. I started shooting the Fclass on Monday nights this year and they required you to shoot at 300 first, but you may try contacting the match director to see. I believe there is an informal fclass league that shoots 1000yds on Thursday nights at Harris.
speedy396

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:35 am

speedy396 wrote:At ERSC, Fclass is Monday night and High Power is Tuesday night. Fclass is shooting at 600yds now and they do make you verify your zero. I started shooting the Fclass on Monday nights this year and they required you to shoot at 300 first, but you may try contacting the match director to see. I believe there is an informal fclass league that shoots 1000yds on Thursday nights at Harris.

Is the 600 yard range at ERSC open to members at other times, or is that only allowed at league sessions?
MJY65

Postby speedy396 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:16 am

I only shoot the league nights and am not a ERSC club member, so I don't know if club members have access to the 600 at other times.
speedy396

Postby JJ on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:25 am

MJY65 wrote:
speedy396 wrote:At ERSC, Fclass is Monday night and High Power is Tuesday night. Fclass is shooting at 600yds now and they do make you verify your zero. I started shooting the Fclass on Monday nights this year and they required you to shoot at 300 first, but you may try contacting the match director to see. I believe there is an informal fclass league that shoots 1000yds on Thursday nights at Harris.

Is the 600 yard range at ERSC open to members at other times, or is that only allowed at league sessions?

Sanctioned events only

As for getting started, call/email the match directors, and then show up! you will be amazed at the level of support at the matches. Consider your weekly matches at local ranges your practice, and then work towards the bigger weekend matches.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 am

JJ wrote:Sanctioned events only

As for getting started, call/email the match directors, and then show up! you will be amazed at the level of support at the matches. Consider your weekly matches at local ranges your practice, and then work towards the bigger weekend matches.

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought. Unfortunately, my work schedule doesn't line up well with the available times. No way I could make it to ER by 5:45.
MJY65

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat