Buying gun on armslist

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Buying gun on armslist

Postby Kelor on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:31 pm

I looked around and couldn't find anything.

When buying a gun on armslist, what are the things to be clearly aware of during the purchase?

Specifically, how do you know the gun seller is the legal owner?
Kelor

Re: Buying gun on armslist

Postby MJY65 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:18 pm

There will be many that reply with positive experiences, but I will offer a word of warning.

I've listed 3 firearms for sale on Gunbroker. Two of the three were copied and pasted to Armslist by scammers, so I'd say your chances of getting ripped off are fairly high. Face to face in a public place, maybe.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:30 pm

MJY65 wrote:There will be many that reply with positive experiences, but I will offer a word of warning.

I've listed 3 firearms for sale on Gunbroker. Two of the three were copied and pasted to Armslist by scammers, so I'd say your chances of getting ripped off are fairly high. Face to face in a public place, maybe.

How would that work? How did they expect to complete the sale without actually having a firearm?
BigBlue

Postby MJY65 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 pm

BigBlue wrote:
MJY65 wrote:There will be many that reply with positive experiences, but I will offer a word of warning.

How would that work? How did they expect to complete the sale without actually having a firearm?

I'm sure they were hoping someone would send them a money order which they would cash with no firearm ever being sent to the buyer.
MJY65

Postby Kelor on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I'm definitely doing face to face, but I'm curious how you know it's not a stolen gun. Gut?

I asked one guy if he has his original bill of sale and he immediately told me it was sold. 12 hours later, it's still out there on Armslist, which leads me to believe he's selling stolen goods.
Kelor

Postby Ironbear on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Kelor wrote:I'm definitely doing face to face, but I'm curious how you know it's not a stolen gun. Gut?

Talking with them on the phone, for a few minutes, will generally give an impression of whether this is someone you want deal with.

I don't know if you can know it's not stolen, but someone dealing in stolen goods is not going to want to have any connection back to them. Telling them up front that you require a bill of sale with the seller's name and address (both of which must match the ID they will need to supply) will sort out bad apples. If a seller is not willing to show you an ID... definitely walk! I don't require a copy of their ID, but I do require that a seller show me a valid ID, if for no other reason, to prove that they are a state resident.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Have bought many and sold many guns and other items on most of the sites. On Armslist buying I watch for those who are registered users and of the registered users make sure they did not do so recently.

Only purchased one that was from MN where we could do a ftf. The rest where pay seller and then he ships which is why you need to be careful.

Only bad deals where buying 44 mag nickel brass and received huge bag of 44 special aluminum garbage and buying a gun from huge dealer with 3 hard to find mags and finding 2 where for the wrong gun. Other than that have saved a BUNCH over the years by very carefully shopping.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby prushin on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:39 am

Call your local Sheriff. All LE agencies can run a check against NCIC. If you can get even a partial serial # they will get a hit if its been reported stolen.
prushin

Postby xd ED on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 am

prushin wrote:Call your local Sheriff. All LE agencies can run a check against NCIC. If you can get even a partial serial # they will get a hit if its been reported stolen.

As I understand it, a LEO will only run a check on the firearm if they are in the presence of the firearm. That way, if it is stolen they can/ will confiscate it.

Never done it personally, I won't get that deep into suspicious transactions.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Uffdaphil on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 pm

I've bought and sold a bunch on AL. I generally only do face to face in a public place. I rarely ship and only to an FFL and if paid in full up front. If a seller is not registered I ask more questions. Walk away from buyers or sellers with hinky stories, out of state ID, it"s a present for my dad, have no accessories and obviously know nothing about the gun. Judgement call. I will show my permit and DL, but for bill of sale it's name. city, serial number only. Those long too much info forms are just are burglar gold.

If the price is really good I don"t try to wheedle it down. A good deal will have multiple buyers and you will lose out.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby TooFewGuns on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:46 pm

I've bought and sold on Armslist, always with a bill of sale. I check IDs and permits. HAs anyone had issues registering on Armslist? I've tried a couple of times and not been able to.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby 28_days on Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:56 pm

It's always interesting to see how many of you require a PTC/PTP and a bill of sale. Nice work adding more regulation, seems very ironic.

If you feel someone is off then don't complete the transaction.
Best Regards,
28_days
28_days

Postby Ironbear on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:43 am

28_days wrote:It's always interesting to see how many of you require a PTC/PTP and a bill of sale. Nice work adding more regulation, seems very ironic.

Regulation? I don't think that word means what you think it means...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:17 am

28_days wrote:It's always interesting to see how many of you require a PTC/PTP and a bill of sale. Nice work adding more regulation, seems very ironic.

I see it as a selfish move to protect one's own assets - not a call for increased regulation.

You're free to do whatever you wish of course.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby xd ED on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:25 am

A private transaction between two willing and consenting parties; with terms either can accept, decline, or negotiate with no .gov interference, that allows for your second sentence, which will offer the greatest protection.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Return to General Gun Chat