Sportsman's Guide

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Sportsman's Guide

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:07 am

I realize that the warehouse and retail store is in North st paul off Hardman. Can you order firearms right at the store? I see great deals on slick guns, but I've never bought anything from the retail location. Last time I was in there it reminded me of a flea market or garage sale.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Sportsman's Guide

Postby ttousi on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:40 am

south st paul...........
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:11 am

Reading the SG website doesn't tell much, but some internet comments complaining about flubbed orders suggests they are not a stocking firearms retailer, but rather a vendor that goes to a distributor or manufacturer (who then drop ships to your FFL) when someone orders a firearm from them; no mention of retail sales anywhere.
They offer their preferred FFL network, and the drill for online gun sales, but nothing of onsite retail sales.
However, doing a search for local FFLs does show them holding a FFL, so who knows...

If they are a stocking dealer, they had to move several piles of moldy canvas and rusty junk to make room for a firearms display.

From my experiences I've gotten enough cheap crap, and lousy, deceptive service from them I would not likely again buy anything I couldn't touch before I handed over my money; and even then I'd be wary.

Good Luck
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MJY65 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:37 am

xd ED wrote:From my experiences I've gotten enough cheap crap, and lousy, deceptive service from them I would not likely again buy anything I couldn't touch before I handed over my money; and even then I'd be wary.

Agreed. They are the Harbor Freight of sporting goods.
MJY65

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:10 am

They are an FFL, I was in looking at some items and they had a line of folks picking up AR's. All were doing their forms and the guy was calling them in.
mmcnx2

Postby grimbeaver on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:02 am

I went in there once and my immediate reaction was WTF. If I remember right the only firearms they sold onsite were black powder. Calling them the "Harbor Freight of sporting goods" is too generous. Harbor Freight is a much cleaner better kept store.
grimbeaver

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 am

To answer the ops question no. You can not go there and buy a firearm. What you can do is order it online from them and then pick it up at their location. This saves shipping and FFL fee. Couple that with their buyers club pricing and additional discounts for using there credit card and they have some killer prices on a pretty good selection. I have purchased 5 from them and been very happy.

On the other side, yes they carry a lot of junk but also have good stuff and good ammo prices. The store is kinda thrift store meets bargain cave but deals can be found. The real reason to go is you can order anything in there catalogue right there at the counter and they will fill it in about 10 mins while you browse no shipping.
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:22 am

grimbeaver wrote:I went in there once and my immediate reaction was WTF. If I remember right the only firearms they sold onsite were black powder. Calling them the "Harbor Freight of sporting goods" is too generous. Harbor Freight is a much cleaner better kept store.

I just learned that SG is now owned(since late 2012) by Northern Tool/ Hydraulics.
While they're not my favorite tool place, it's certainly worlds away from SG.

It could be that the dumpy store is intentional.

There was once a grocery chain- Country Club- that had ratty stores...missing floor tiles, burned out lights, etc, that operated as a discount store. Thing is they were as expensive, if not more so, oz for oz, lb for lb, than the other grocery chains. That didn't stop their customers from thinking they were getting deals.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rtk on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:40 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
On the other side, yes they carry a lot of junk but also have good stuff and good ammo prices. The store is kinda thrift store meets bargain cave but deals can be found.

I agree, I have found some great deals from them...although I have never purchased any firearms from them.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby BuckKlier on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:56 pm

I bought a Anderson bare AR lower from the catalog to be picked up at the store, I had it shipped to the store (it took about a week), and they charged me a "Gun Fee" ($5 on rifles or $10 on pistol) I assume it is their name for the transfer paper work, still cheaper than to pay shipping to a FFL and paying their transfer fee. Question I have is there any difference in the paper work for a pistol or a rifle, is there any reason that I can not make a pistol out of this bare stripped lower? :?:
BuckKlier

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:53 am

yukonjasper wrote:I realize that the warehouse and retail store is in North st paul off Hardman. Can you order firearms right at the store? I see great deals on slick guns, but I've never bought anything from the retail location. Last time I was in there it reminded me of a flea market or garage sale.

Dude, you need a new computer so you can use Google maps!! It is still very much the craptastic jumble sale you remember. The bit about being able to actually be order REAL, USEFUL gun stuff is new to me, and either they never did this 10 years ago or I didn't know about it.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:56 am

BuckKlier wrote:I bought a Anderson bare AR lower from the catalog to be picked up at the store, I had it shipped to the store (it took about a week), and they charged me a "Gun Fee" ($5 on rifles or $10 on pistol) I assume it is their name for the transfer paper work, still cheaper than to pay shipping to a FFL and paying their transfer fee. Question I have is there any difference in the paper work for a pistol or a rifle, is there any reason that I can not make a pistol out of this bare stripped lower? :?:

There is an answer to your question about the lower, but it is complicated and you won't like what you hear. Someone will be along shortly to explain, or you could just search for it.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby goosed on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:43 pm

BuckKlier wrote:Question I have is there any difference in the paper work for a pistol or a rifle, is there any reason that I can not make a pistol out of this bare stripped lower? :?:

No difference in paper work as it's Form 4473 either way. Part of the section the dealer fills out is marking the lower as 'rifle', 'pistol' or 'other firearm'. Typically dealers mark stripped lowers as 'other', but you will want to have the discussion with whom ever is completing your paper at the counter to verify how they will identify the lower. If marked as 'rifle' it can never be a pistol, if marked 'pistol' or 'other' combined with your carry permit or permit to purchase number on the form allows it to be made into a pistol or rifle.

There are some caveats and ambiguity to be aware of beyond the paperwork... I won't rehash it here as it was partially explored in the long gun section under the sig brace topic. Just a word of caution is to keep in mind none of the individuals involved in that discussion are ATF agents(to my knowledge) so any info contained within or derived from may not be worth anything in the court of law. Proceed with your own best judgement.
goosed

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:50 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:I realize that the warehouse and retail store is in North st paul off Hardman. Can you order firearms right at the store? I see great deals on slick guns, but I've never bought anything from the retail location. Last time I was in there it reminded me of a flea market or garage sale.

Dude, you need a new computer so you can use Google maps!! It is still very much the craptastic jumble sale you remember. The bit about being able to actually be order REAL, USEFUL gun stuff is new to me, and either they never did this 10 years ago or I didn't know about it.

Sorry Sam, it is the later. They have always carried ammo in their catalog and at pretty decent prices and a pretty decent selection. If one needs .32-20 it is about the only place in town one can go and find it.
Holland&Holland

Postby BuckKlier on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:09 pm

goosed wrote:
BuckKlier wrote:Question I have is there any difference in the paper work for a pistol or a rifle, is there any reason that I can not make a pistol out of this bare stripped lower? :?:

No difference in paper work as it's Form 4473 either way. Part of the section the dealer fills out is marking the lower as 'rifle', 'pistol' or 'other firearm'. Typically dealers mark stripped lowers as 'other', but you will want to have the discussion with whom ever is completing your paper at the counter to verify how they will identify the lower. If marked as 'rifle' it can never be a pistol, if marked 'pistol' or 'other' combined with your carry permit or permit to purchase number on the form allows it to be made into a pistol or rifle.

There are some caveats and ambiguity to be aware of beyond the paperwork... I won't rehash it here as it was partially explored in the long gun section under the sig brace topic. Just a word of caution is to keep in mind none of the individuals involved in that discussion are ATF agents(to my knowledge) so any info contained within or derived from may not be worth anything in the court of law. Proceed with your own best judgement.

Just wondering about it, it will be a rifle, leaning toward a 458 socom.
BuckKlier

Next

Return to General Gun Chat