When your doctor asks you about guns in your house:

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: When your doctor asks you about guns in your house:

Postby Randygmn on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:50 am

Hmac wrote:
xd ED wrote:
Is a non-answer anything but a 'yes', practically speaking?

What difference does it make? The information you provide to your doctor is your business, no one else's. The doctor works for you. You hire him or her to give you advice about your health care. You can make your own decisions about what you want in your medical record. If your plumber comes out to your home to fix a leaky pipe and starts asking you about your sexual preferences, how would you respond?

But let's not lose focus on the impetus of these questions. They are being asked at the behest of the "government". Ostensibly to be used against you in some form or fashion. There isn't a scenario where the Dr or govt knowing could be a benefit to you. The Dr does have fiduciary obligations to his patients, but can seemingly be dismissed simply on the dr's discretion.
Randygmn

Postby Hmac on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am

Randygmn wrote:
But let's not lose focus on the impetus of these questions. They are being asked at the behest of the "government".

No they aren't.
Hmac

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:06 am

Not the government, but rather a collection of busybodies.

It's more the medical societies (the American academy of pediatrics is probably the most liberal group) and because they make position statements, Joint commission (JCAHO) has some site inspectors that look for that sort of thing. While technically not government JCAHO tends to combine the worst of both government and private enterprise. They really are not answerable to anyone but themselves... And the insurance industry often mandates compliance with them.

What happens with your medical records is to some extent governed by HIPAA, but actually is a conglomeration of state and federal laws.

Frankly, while I have had issues with what folks use med records for for some time, no one else seems to be getting too worked up about that privacy issue in general, so until someone decides they have had enough of the metadata manipulation that everyone thinks they have a right to do, and using the records for compliance tools, and passes a law stating that the only way to have access is both physician and patient agree to it with substantial fines for coercion. You will see nothing change.

Quite frankly, if you have posted here, you likely are on a list for a visit when the trilateral commission bans guns, so relax, enjoy, and take boat rides with your toys. It don't matter, you will end up in a FEMA concentration laager for reeducation anyhow.
crbutler

Postby westhope on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Was at my doctor this morning. He again asked me about guns in my home.

He wanted to know how many 1911's I have, which one was my favorite and why. Fortunately my wife had left the room while the doctor was about to do my prostate exam, so I didn't need to lie to him how many I had.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby LePetomane on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:53 pm

westhope wrote:Was at my doctor this morning. He again asked me about guns in my home.

He wanted to know how many 1911's I have, which one was my favorite and why. Fortunately my wife had left the room while the doctor was about to do my prostate exam, so I didn't need to lie to him how many I had.

That sounds like torture to me. I hope he had small hands.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby LarryP on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:17 pm

My doctor has never brought up guns in my house, or any talk of guns.
I have a feeling she could care less
LarryP

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:28 pm

You guys all go to the doctor?
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:You guys all go to the doctor?

Way too often lately.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby dismal on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:You guys all go to the doctor?

Exactly. Doctors are for sick people. :)

This book will take care of a lot of your needs:
https://www.amazon.com/Where-There-No-Doctor-Handbook/dp/0942364155/
dismal

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 pm

They literally, saved my life 2 weeks ago....So I guess I'm going to have to trust the Doc's
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby MJY65 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:15 am

There are two acceptable answers: "Yes" or "No" Your choice.

Your MD is going down a list that has been provided to them by some large corporate entity that determined the questions that will be asked of every patient. It is extremely unlikely that he/she had any input. Any clever, obnoxious or obscene response is disrespectful and needs to be left on the Internet.
MJY65

Postby Hmac on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:49 am

MJY65 wrote:
Your MD is going down a list that has been provided to them by some large corporate entity that determined the questions that will be asked of every patient.

Every practice, every medical organization, is different, and they vary widely from community to community. I don't know of any that impose that level interference in the doctor/patient relationship. I can't even imagine anyone coming to me and providing a list of questions that I should ask my patients. I wouldn't tolerate it, nor would any doctor that I know. Most doctors that do ask that question do so out of a sincere belief that it's an important point in addressing the patient's health care needs. Not unlike asking if you smoke, fasten your seatbelt, or engage in risky sexual behaviors. Some doctors buy into that kind of paternalistic care scenario, and others think it is unnecessarily intrusive and oversteps the bounds of what the doctor/patient relationship should be.
Hmac

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 am

Hmac wrote:
MJY65 wrote:
Your MD is going down a list that has been provided to them by some large corporate entity that determined the questions that will be asked of every patient.

Every practice, every medical organization, is different, and they vary widely from community to community. I don't know of any that impose that level interference in the doctor/patient relationship. I can't even imagine anyone coming to me and providing a list of questions that I should ask my patients. I wouldn't tolerate it, nor would any doctor that I know. Most doctors that do ask that question do so out of a sincere belief that it's an important point in addressing the patient's health care needs. Not unlike asking if you smoke, fasten your seatbelt, or engage in risky sexual behaviors. Some doctors buy into that kind of paternalistic care scenario, and others think it is unnecessarily intrusive and oversteps the bounds of what the doctor/patient relationship should be.

It was on a form provided to me by Mayo Health Care Systems - to fill out on a recent visit. So yes Corp does impose that level of interference, at least the the Mayo System!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Hmac on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:26 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
It was on a form provided to me by Mayo Health Care Systems - to fill out on a recent visit. So yes Corp does impose that level of interference, at least the the Mayo System!

That was a form for YOU to fill out. Not the doctor. The doctors, PAs, and NPs don't work from a script. What did the doctor say when you left it blank? I know what they said to me.....
Hmac

Postby smurfman on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:34 pm

I don't answer any question not directly related to the reason I am at the doctor's office. All of these records can be reviewed by others depending on the situation and possibly come back to bite you- and not necessarily by the government.

Case in point, I recently went to my employer's Doctor due to a work related injury. One of the forms they wanted me to sign was a release for ALL previous medical records for review and possible sharing with my employer. I refused to sign it as there was no doubt the injury happened on duty and it was not related to any previous injury or illness.

Some of the questions asked were rather personal and not something I would share with my friends let alone employer. Given the attitude of the public on some of the issues raised, I would not trust my employer to not hold some of them against me. The current administration is bad enough but they are on the way out. The heir apparent is much worse and we already have a strained relationship. So, there may be more than just the government that my see all your medical records.
smurfman

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat