Transfers to a FFL

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Transfers to a FFL

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 am

What's the appropriate protocol when having something transfer in to a private FFL? Should you contact them before to give them a heads up something is coming in? I know that from that point on, you don't want to pester them and just wait for them to contact you after delivery has been made. But do you typically give them a heads up that an order is inbound, particularly if the FFL is a private residence instead of B&M gunshop? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Transfers to a FFL

Postby usnret on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:48 am

Yes
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Scratch on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 am

As a home based dealer myself, it doesn't matter to me. I suppose it might be nice if they don't have a lot coming in, so they know they have to make sure they're home to sign for it, or make arrangements to do so...
But if they have deliveries coming in daily or every other day, they should be prepared for any surprise delivery.

If the gun is coming from a gunbroker sale or some shop that may not have their license yet, then yes... They definitely need to know so they can send off their license to them, but if it's a place they're already set up with, then they don't need a heads up.

It doesn't hurt to call and let them know though.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Try not to micromanage it, just a call letting them know is enough but really that isn't normally required as long as your name and phone number are with the gun.

Let the seller call the FFL to get a copy of the license. Getting in the middle of that just slows down the process.

Let the FFLs deal with each other and wait for the call.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Transfers to a FFL

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Ok. Just was wondering if I was following appropriate protocol. After placing the order, I did immediately give the FFL a heads up via a private message through their business Facebook page. That was received but not responded to. Had informed them of the shipment, there was no particular rush, and just to call me when it came in and when convenient for them. No response which was fine. Was following the tracking and saw that UPS tried to deliver twice yesterday with no success and that it was out for delivery for a final attempt today. So I sent another private message giving the FFL a heads up. They responded shortly thereafter saying they no longer accept transfers and had asked to be removed from PSA's list of transfer agents. They will be rejecting the order and sending it back to PSA. Guess I need to find a different FFL now and have PSA send it out again.

INOR

Transfers to a FFL

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Any recommendations on someone to use in the south metro area....rosemount, Farmington, lakeville, or apple valley?

INOR

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm

FFL has to send the paperwork to the shipper so he should now its coming.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm

INOR wrote:Any recommendations on someone to use in the south metro area....rosemount, Farmington, lakeville, or apple valley?

Roger at Burnsville Pistol Range.
Others around I'm sure but Roger was my go to FFL when I worked in that area.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:03 pm

xd ED wrote:
INOR wrote:Any recommendations on someone to use in the south metro area....rosemount, Farmington, lakeville, or apple valley?

Roger at Burnsville Pistol Range.
Others around I'm sure but Roger was my go to FFL when I worked in that area.

Roger is the man. You can download a copy of his FFL from their website (http://www.bvpistol.com), and he'll call you when your gun shows up. You really don't need to let him know in advance, either. He's pretty easy to deal with.
Erud

Postby aprilian on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Erud wrote:
Roger is the man. You can download a copy of his FFL from their website (http://www.bvpistol.com), and he'll call you when your gun shows up. You really don't need to let him know in advance, either. He's pretty easy to deal with.

+3 he gave me a break on the fee for my dad's gun.
aprilian

Transfers to a FFL

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:49 pm

If you are looking to leverage this experience to also build a relationship with a place where you can buy guns in the future, take a look at Southwest Arms. Will add 5 mins to your commute from AV/Lakeville but may be well worth it http://www.southwest-arms.com.

Burnsville range is a good place too but you need to make sure that somebody authorized to do the transfer is present when you show up.
gun_fan111v2

Transfers to a FFL

Postby INOR on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks. This was a learning experience. Was buying a cheap stripped lower and was attempting to use a local cheap FFL. But clearly that was a poor choice and should have went to southwest to begin with. I had the SAR K2 I purchased online transferred there and it was seamless. Also bought my M&P sport there and that was likewise an easy transaction. Great shop.

INOR

Postby saizou on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 pm

I send all of my stuff to Atomic Tactical. They always have someone at the counter to sign for shipments during business hours. I just track my package and make a visit after it's marked delivered. No hassles and good value: $20 for first item and $5 additional each. Almost makes the other places that charge $30-$40 comical.

They even waived my fee for an AR receiver when I bought a charging handle from them at the same time, that's customer service!
saizou

Transfers to a FFL

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Atomic is a nice place as well, good point. I always forget about them when asked for an FFL.

Another place I would highly recommend is Arnzen but they are even further away from south-east suburbs.
gun_fan111v2

Postby sprigfan on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:11 pm

I agree Atomic Tactical is a good place to use. I will continue to use them. They aren't very good at calling you when your gun is ready for pick up, however.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
sprigfan

Next

Return to General Gun Chat