Mauser K98 - Need Experienced Smithie to Drill & Tap Receive

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Mauser K98 - Need Experienced Smithie to Drill & Tap Receive

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 am

Wow, sometimes we really manage to earn our reputation on this forum... :shock: good work guys.

Lfryklu, sorry for the experience you are getting here. I could explain where your initial introduction to the forum went wrong but that would take more time than I have. Suffice it to say, new folks that come in hot do not always get the best reception with this group of curmudgeons. I would have commented on your question but I would have been recommending Ahlaman's as I have had good work done there and that obviously is not your experience so that does you no good. Reproduction projects are fun. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
Holland&Holland

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am

Lfryklu wrote:"Glad you are not a 'real smithie' ..." Really?

Apologies if anyone is taking offense at any of my words, but there are a lot of rookies out there claiming that they are experienced, and I am sorry but I do not want one.

The one that insisted on the glue was in the Gun Craftsman's Guild and could not get it done right.... So, I am getting very specific with what I want now.

If you believe you can do what I want, then give me your name and lets talk about it...

Lfryklu

Yes, I'm glad I don't meet your specifications because you seem intent on finding someone while giving off the vibe that you're toxic and no one wants to subject their "guy" to your breed of customer as it will potentially sour their relationship with them. Personally, I don't meet your standard. Yay me! Secondly, thought given to who to send you to: zero (see first sentence).

I did a little googling after Sam seemed to think your handle was suspicious and found your other posts regarding piecing together another rifle on the cheap which would pass muster with all but the most astute collectors, and reparkerizing various guns. If you do it for you and you keep the guns, great. If you do it to make a really good fake and dump it on the market as legit, there's a moral issue in play with helping you forge your fake - that is a valid concern (you've publicly stated you have the margins to keep these fakes under what a legit gun would cost). We don't know you, you don't know us either. Every thief I've ever busted denied doing anything wrong even when caught red handed. ;) After all, you wouldn't come out and say you were trying to make a fake to sell if you were. What I didn't find in my snooping was any compelling reason to go to bat for you. No introductions, no collection of weapons, no pics of work in progress despite only being a couple years old. So this screen name is pretty unattributable outside of your milking other people for their resources. Maybe the old codger is right this time?
FJ540

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:45 am

The handle which phonetically is "I'll furkle u" smells even even WORSE than my (single) winter pair of underwear which I just took off. To the OP: I actually know a guy who has a TON of guns and does all his own work, and you can get in touch with him by sending a PM to him on this forum. His handle is russstra, and he's VERY knowledgeable....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:52 am

FJ540

Postby JJ on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am

FJ540 wrote:
Yes, I'm glad I don't meet your specifications because you seem intent on finding someone while giving off the vibe that you're toxic and no one wants to subject their "guy" to your breed of customer as it will potentially sour their relationship with them. Personally, I don't meet your standard. Yay me! Secondly, thought given to who to send you to: zero (see first sentence).

I won't speculate on the rest of your posts, but here we can agree.

This isn't hard for a guy that is handy with the silver solder, but very few smiths even use solder anymore.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:32 am

I don't see any silver solder, but I see lots of Waffen proof marks and a BIG price tag...http://www.gunbroker.com/item/636931474 Plus the price is REDUCED, so somebody buy it already!!! :P :lol: :roll:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:53 am

Man, you guys sure are a bunch of dicks.
Erud

Postby JJ on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Erud wrote:Man, you guys sure are a bunch of dicks.

and your point would be?

8-)
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby FJ540 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm

JJ wrote:

and your point would be?

8-)

I thought that was the appeal... :?
FJ540

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:44 pm

I agree. Either answer the question or don't. Way too much time on your hands if you are questioning the question and reading all sorts of things into a simple post.

D-BAGS.

And people wonder why shooting sports aren't more popular. Save me the painful stats- it would be even more popular if the gun nerds who like to try to out smarty pants each other would just be helpful or stay in their caves.

Same old bunch of **** heads ...........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:53 pm

This guy smells even worse than Russtra did when he came in, and he kept you on the hook for a LOOOONG time... Wake up and smell the coffee.... This has been a dysfunctional day care center from Day 1 back in 2007. Ain't youse guys got no sense of tradition at all??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:This guy smells even worse than Russtra did when he came in, and he kept you on the hook for a LOOOONG time... Wake up and smell the coffee.... This has been a dysfunctional day care center from Day 1 back in 2007. Ain't youse guys got no sense of tradition at all??

Go back under the bridge, your contributions here are useless.
Erud

Postby hard h2o on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 pm

The guy stated he is on some forums specific to the firearm and work he needs done. Why could his question not have been better answered there? Red flag numer uno

His first post here is a convoluted story about glue versus solder, some smith doing the job wrong and not how he asked and ruining a receiver, then being done wrong by a shop that, from what I know, has a good reputation.

Seems like the common thread in this story is OP. When everyone you meet all day is an a$$hole then maybe they are not what they seem and you are in fact the a$$hole.

That is what I think about when reading consumers complaining again and again about companies that seem reputable. Red Flag 2.

First posts not an introduction but a fishy story...red flag 3.

Claiming to be local but no location in profile...red flag 4.
hard h2o

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

I'd hardly rate my snide humor, sarcasm, and occasional gun related posts as much of a contribution. Sparkle farkle smelled wrong from the get go, both in substance and tone. FJ540 looked into it a bit, and smelled something bad too. If that wasn't enough, his claimed displeasure with Ahlman's service was a big red flag in the original post. And finally, if he WASN'T trying to forge a cheap version of a K98 Sniper, then just what in hell was he trying to do on a financial shoestring??? The real thing costs $5,000, and if what he wanted was an original parts K98, then what was all this emphasis on the gun ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVING to be silver soldered?? Somebody else confirmed my suspicion that gun smiths just don't do that any more, so it's highly probable that this whole thing was a desperate attempt to find somebody to help him. Apart from that, does anybody REALLY think that this guy would have stuck around if we had been able to find what he was looking for, even if we had given him a soft pillow for his butt and fed him milk and cookies??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:02 am

Look him up and find something endearing to his cause. Or he could post here and clear his name. We're only useful if we can produce an experienced smith who can do his task to his satisfaction, there's a couple 500 word posts to that effect on page 1. :roll:
FJ540

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat