Mauser K98 - Need Experienced Smithie to Drill & Tap Receive

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Mauser K98 - Need Experienced Smithie to Drill & Tap Receive

Postby Erud on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:30 am

FJ540 wrote:Look him up and find something endearing to his cause. Or he could post here and clear his name. We're only useful if we can produce an experienced smith who can do his task to his satisfaction, there's a couple 500 word posts to that effect on page 1. :roll:

Why would I need to look him up? Do you think I work for the FBI or something? Why does his name need to be cleared? His story seemed pretty clearly explained to me. A local guy comes on a local gun forum asking if anyone knows a local gunsmith for something he wants to have done to a rifle. The next thing you know, Seismic Columbo and his dumbass sidekicks are doing a full background investigation into the guy and his story, and flat-out accusing him of fraud. The sheer dumbassery around here is staggering.

FJ540, did your butt-hurt stem from him stating that he wasn't looking for someone who slaps together AR's?
Erud

Postby FJ540 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 am

Eric, you must've missed my posts where I welded holes shut in AK's and hand fitted 2011's from unfit slide/frames and cut them down from Gov't length to commander which included recutting the locking lug slot for the barrel bushing, so no I'm not conflicted at all that he doesn't want an AR assembler. :roll:

I don't see you offering up any substantial help either, Mr. Pot. ;)
FJ540

Postby Erud on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 pm

FJ540 wrote:Eric, you must've missed my posts where I welded holes shut in AK's and hand fitted 2011's from unfit slide/frames and cut them down from Gov't length to commander which included recutting the locking lug slot for the barrel bushing, so no I'm not conflicted at all that he doesn't want an AR assembler. :roll:

I don't see you offering up any substantial help either, Mr. Pot. ;)

Yeah, I guess I either missed them, or didn't care. I'm not that interested in AK's or 2011's, so I don't pay much attention to posts about them. You do sound like a super gunsmith, now that you mention it - maybe I'll start using you to build my match rifles instead of the guy I use now who's been doing it for 35 years. If it makes you feel any better, I did send the OP a PM with the name and number of a local smith that may be able to handle the job. As it isn't really my area of expertise, I didn't feel the need to cross-examine him, or micro-analyze his motivation to do what he wants to do. I'll leave that to the ace internet detectives on the board like you and Sam. I guess it's probably a moot point, as I wouldn't really expect him to be back on ol' MN Guntalk after nearly getting trampled to death by the parade of dumbassery.
Erud

Postby FJ540 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Don't bother, you're not my kind of customer either. ;) Stick with the one you've got.
FJ540

Postby Erud on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:35 pm

FJ540 wrote:Don't bother, you're not my kind of customer either. ;) Stick with the one you've got.

I'm sure he'll be relieved when I tell him. I know he was getting nervous when he heard there was a new AK hole-welder in town,
Erud

Postby crbutler on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Given the number of home brewed WW I and WW II "sniper" rifles I have been offered for full price that have been obvious reworks, and he fact that one of the "fine fellows" who tried to paw one off on me threatened legal action when I told him, I guess I have some real reservations about trying to make an "authentic as possible" duplicate of something that is de facto only really a collectors item.

Heck, I have had a "Gen-u-wine" colt single action (roll marked ruler vaquero) offered at only $6000, cause they can go for 10 times that.

Frankly, this sounds very suspect to me. Maybe he has only his own desires here, but anyone looking for professional quality gun work who persists in calling it a "smithie " is obviously looking for something a bit shady.

My apologies if I am wrong about the guy, but no way in hell would I give one of my friends contact info to someone like that.
crbutler

Postby Erud on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm

And the parade of dumb-assery marches on...
Erud

Postby FJ540 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Erud wrote:
FJ540 wrote:Don't bother, you're not my kind of customer either. ;) Stick with the one you've got.

I'm sure he'll be relieved when I tell him. I know he was getting nervous when he heard there was a new AK hole-welder in town,

Last one I did was 3 years ago, but whatever. :roll:
FJ540

Postby tenmilmag on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:19 pm

What's a smithie? and where did the OP g o?
tenmilmag

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 pm

tenmilmag wrote:What's a smithie? and where did the OP g o?

Seriously, would you stick around after this?
Holland&Holland

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 pm

A Smithie is a gun made by Smith & Wesson, such as this model 1076, which uses a tenmilmag to hold the ammo.......
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 pm

crbutler wrote:Given the number of home brewed WW I and WW II "sniper" rifles I have been offered for full price that have been obvious reworks, and he fact that one of the "fine fellows" who tried to paw one off on me threatened legal action when I told him, I guess I have some real reservations about trying to make an "authentic as possible" duplicate of something that is de facto only really a collectors item.

Heck, I have had a "Gen-u-wine" colt single action (roll marked ruler vaquero) offered at only $6000, cause they can go for 10 times that.

Frankly, this sounds very suspect to me. Maybe he has only his own desires here, but anyone looking for professional quality gun work who persists in calling it a "smithie " is obviously looking for something a bit shady.

My apologies if I am wrong about the guy, but no way in hell would I give one of my friends contact info to someone like that.

Sorry, not all of us can afford to by authentic collectables. Sometimes you have to buy or built what you want. Is uberti shady for making replicas?

And as to determining someone is shady based on the use of one word... what a skill to have.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Ok, so someone using a period gun and scope wanting to use methods that are obsolete and brutally expensive compared to modern is not acting strangely? Especially since the period guns were not very durable in the first place?

Using a Uberti is fine, unless you pass it off on the unsuspecting as a Winchester... and it sure isn't a Winchester or a Colt. A uberti or cimmaron is marked such.

You want a collectable, pay for it. You want a duplicate, make sure it can't be passed as an original even to the unsuspecting. The whole idea of duplicates is fine if they are easily discerned. Of course, if they can't be passed off as originals, they aren't that close, now are they? I don't care if you buy the new STG 44 guns that someone is importing...that you can't fake as an original.

Heck, I don't have a German sniper rifle because I can't afford the ones that have provenience and the ones I could afford that I found all have evidence that they may not be original. Not a single seller said anything about the nonoriginality until specifically asked about the evidence in point, and even then more than one insisted I was wrong despite being shown reference works. At best, the response was, so what, this is what I can get for it. (Which was blue book value for an original). In my collection I have a M1 carbine that the guy who sold it to my uncle stated his dad carried on d day when he was with the 82nd. Gave him a signed letter from his dad and all. Funny thing, when I inherited it, it was not in the correct SN range or manufacturer for a paratrooper model, and the markings showed it had been an arsenal rework from post Korea.... with a stock that indicated it had been made in the 70's... so I have more than a little dislike for the home brewed copies of rare pieces.

So fine, I'm an elitist. Knock yourself out.
crbutler

Postby Lfryklu on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Would like to thank those that have provided information to me that I have asked for, without being, accusatory, snide or insulting to me.

Later I will post a reply to 'all of those' that have had nothing but bad things to say about me, my project, and why I want to do what I want to do.

Heck, about the only things I have not been called by some of you guys yet, is a lair, and a thief...

Oh, you probably think I am a child molester too.

My god, you even looked for my name on other forums to see what other posts I made?

Good God ... Get a life...!! What are you the 'Project police, or something'?

You guys are really something else, and of course certainly have the courage to say things here that you would never have the guts to say to my face.

Like all social media, it is quite 'easy to hide' behind the Internet and say what you want to.

Without a clue, of who, or what I am. It's is called 'Assume' Ass-U-me

Well, I and certainly other's following this here know what part of the word you are.

For some of you saying things to me that are, or may be Moderators of this forum - shame on you.

My response to all posts to follow this evening.

And to think, I thought it was 'Minnesota nice' reaching out to other gun enthusiasts in my own home state.

I guess it is in reality - So many of you are in reality.... 'Minnesota Jerks'.

Lfryklu
Lfryklu

Postby FJ540 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Re-originaling a 1911: https://www.1911forum.com/forums/showth ... p?t=501894

Same with an M1: http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/topic ... IC_ID=7450

Thread he's in that clearly shows knowledge of value changing features: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ost3506969

It's 3 pages of google searches - used to be the first page before this thread bumped up his user name usage.

Sorry man, your internet use of this handle is limited to questionable practices. Care to post a pic of that 1918 1911 in your left hand with your thumb on the hammer? (gotta make sure it's a current photo ;) )
FJ540

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat