What laws relate to where your bullets go?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: What laws relate to where your bullets go?

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 08, 2017 4:59 pm

I think I misunderstood what this post is asking for. I'll leave it as it is so everybody can have a good giggle... :oops: :oops: :oops:

As far as ballistic packages, I believe that the last Sierra manual on a CD came with such a calculator, and I'm sure Quickload could do it. What you need to do is find out what cartridge the pinheads are shooting, and it would be relatively easy. If you can't find out the exact cartridge used, you'll have to mike a fired bullet to get the diameter, and that would at least give you a starting point. Good luck!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 pm

They (a woman who was not shooting with them at the time of incident) policed up all their brass prior to the first deputy's arrival and then left for home shortly after he cleared the scene yesterday. I took that pic of the barrel this morning as I was headed in to talk to them (cop shop is 100' from where my property taxes were due). Ground around where they were standing was clean as could be (a stark contrast to the smorgasbord of junk the previous owner left in the yard, which is still there) . No evidence to get a head stamp off of to determine caliber. It wasn't .22lr, I can tell you that from the sound. If I had to bet, I'd say 9mm. I didn't get close enough to determine what they were, both guns were black CCW size pistols.

I also mentioned to the Lt. and Sgt. that if perp has a carry permit that this is the kind of thing that should be grounds to lose it. Both agreed.

ETA: While I didn't have my cell phone for what was supposed to be a 5 minute walk, I did have my carry pistol (we have bears and wolves). I never touched my gun the entire time. I thought about a couple shots to get their attention, but thought better of that as they could claim I shot back at them. I'm sure I have the barrel lint to prove it, but it was never mentioned by the officers.
FJ540

Postby nhluke on Mon May 08, 2017 5:50 pm

I believe some states consider it trespassing or similar once an object goes over the property line (I heard a Leo in Texas say something about this in regards to bullets crossing property lines). I'll talk to Trump and see if he can build a wall for you.
nhluke

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 08, 2017 5:54 pm

nhluke wrote:I believe some states consider it trespassing or similar once an object goes over the property line (I heard a Leo in Texas say something about this in regards to bullets crossing property lines). I'll talk to Trump and see if he can build a wall for you.

A wall would be awesome! Thanks!
FJ540

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 08, 2017 6:43 pm

One other thought: If you have several full or partial sheets of plywood in any condition, place a cheap plastic sheet over the lower 2/3rds of the dirt mound, and then place the plywood over where the bullets were hitting. With any luck, one or more might stick in the plywood, or bounce off and roll into the plastic sheet, and then you have actual ballistic evidence that could be matched to a gun.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ghost on Mon May 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Glad nobody was hurt. I think you are doing the right thing. Let the law do their job.
Ghost

Postby tenmilmag on Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Me too, Jim, glad no one was hurt! Screw that guy, throw the book at him. Stand your ground buddy. You're doing the right thing :bravo:
tenmilmag

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:One other thought: If you have several full or partial sheets of plywood in any condition, place a cheap plastic sheet over the lower 2/3rds of the dirt mound, and then place the plywood over where the bullets were hitting. With any luck, one or more might stick in the plywood, or bounce off and roll into the plastic sheet, and then you have actual ballistic evidence that could be matched to a gun.

I looked for hits on my cargo container today and didn't see anything. Given the elevation, I think most of it went up into the canopy. I've also done my share of impregnating the trees on that ridge with lead since the pond site used to be my pistol pit prior to repurposing it as base-camp while I worked on extending my road up to the house site. It's almost time for another move up to there, but I need to remove some trees first.

As for leaving it to the law: I don't really have a choice. If it continues, it may end up becoming a defensive situation, but I'd rather not go there. I gave him the benefit of doubt that it was a mistake, he pushed on. He shoots at me again, I'm not going to take it kindly.
FJ540

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 08, 2017 7:59 pm

This is the direction the rounds were going. That ridge is about 15' and there's a good 1100' to the other side of my lot from here. Like I said, used to be my pistol pit. I'm not sure if I'm going to dig a hole for it's replacement or push up berms. Need to get the logging done and re-assess that aspect of my plans. I'd really like a 270+ degree berm of some form for holster work and shoot-house type stuff.
FJ540

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm

I'd suggest having some sort of video recording device on hand at all times until this is resolved. I know some folks are going to think I'm a bit crazy for suggesting this, but since mentioning children, I'd also get a vest or 2 for the short term. And finally, perhaps some motion activating lights outside of the home, in case this guy jumps the shark. As for me, I would've done exactly as you did. After giving him a chance to respond after calling out his recklessness, he crossed the Rubicon into criminality. Creating a paper trail with the police was prudent, if for no other reason in case you're forced to defend yourself and family. Not sure if you have a rifle, but if you do, keep it loaded and accessible. For folks like us, it's inconceivable to imagine a neighbor not getting the message and coming to their senses. But you need to prepare yourself, for the sake of your family, that they won't.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 pm

This was from last year as well (all the above pics aside from the dirt pile and shot up barrel are old), but I actually put the gorilla grips on for holding my brush cutter (super-sized weed eater with a saw blade), but found it does make a handy place to stick a gun all Southern style. :lol:

I design, manufacture, and sell gun parts, as well as assemble, modify, and function test complete weapons. I routinely possess and shoot rifles on my property for recreational and business purposes, and have guests who also shoot any number of guns there with me. My having a rifle is not unusual in any kind of historical context (like I said - wolves, bear, feral dogs). It's also well documented by un-friendly to my cause sources (Good Old Boy's Club mentioned it in their objections to my forestry access road permit application 2 years ago). The neighbor on the other hand, has no reasonable explanation for having a rifle at the lake. They own no land with more than a 250' length at any point on it and certainly cannot access their land they do own (elsewhere) by approaching my end of the dead-end street.

I don't leave any dwelling without a handgun. That's also well known by anyone who knows me. ;)
FJ540

Postby ttousi on Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 am

caution....DNR regs....motor vehicle..........loaded long gun
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby photogpat on Tue May 09, 2017 6:45 am

ttousi wrote:caution....DNR regs....motor vehicle..........loaded long gun

Private property?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby MJY65 on Tue May 09, 2017 7:33 am

FJ540 wrote:As for leaving it to the law: I don't really have a choice. If it continues, it may end up becoming a defensive situation, but I'd rather not go there. I gave him the benefit of doubt that it was a mistake, he pushed on. He shoots at me again, I'm not going to take it kindly.

Since this is an ongoing situation with the potential for future events, I'd suggest you refrain from any further discussion in public.
MJY65

Postby wasfuzz on Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 am

As MJY65 stated STFU about it, until a conclusion is reached.!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat