safe cracking

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: safe cracking

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:55 pm

jeffo wrote:It is not a electronic lock but it can be replaced with one.

Got it.

Well that is an upgrade then at least.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7050 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: safe cracking

Postby jeffo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 pm

I don’t remember the price of the safe. My guess is 600 - 700 plus 200 to put it in basement
jeffo
 
Posts: 123 [View]
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

jeffo wrote:I don’t remember the price of the safe. My guess is 600 - 700 plus 200 to put it in basement

That sounds more like it. I am guessing I have the same safe. I also have a couple of there safes with the electronic lock. So very interested for future reference.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7050 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: safe cracking

Postby jeffo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 pm

I believe he quoted me $150 for mechanical lock and $225 for electronic lock.
jeffo
 
Posts: 123 [View]
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

jeffo wrote:I believe he quoted me $150 for mechanical lock and $225 for electronic lock.

My advice would be only get the electronic if it has the key backup. Stackons electronic ones you take the key pad off to access a keyhole. I have had batteries die and had to do that.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7050 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: safe cracking

Postby jeffo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm

28 gun Stack on.
jeffo
 
Posts: 123 [View]
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby jeffo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 pm

He said batteries are on the outside. No key.
jeffo
 
Posts: 123 [View]
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 pm

jeffo wrote:28 gun Stack on.

Yup, same safe.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7050 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: safe cracking

Postby linksep on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:08 am

Personally I would just start cutting, it's just sheet-metal formed around drywall to give the appearance of thickness and a false "fire rating" (I believe drywall emits corrosive vapors in a fire so your guns won't melt, but they'll still be ruined).

I would replace it with this https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor ... 985&ipos=4 if all you want is to meet the definition of "locked up" or with this https://zanottiarmor.com/product/z-2-6/ if you are even slightly concerned about security.
linksep
 
Posts: 502 [View]
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:48 am

linksep wrote:Personally I would just start cutting, it's just sheet-metal formed around drywall to give the appearance of thickness and a false "fire rating" (I believe drywall emits corrosive vapors in a fire so your guns won't melt, but they'll still be ruined).

I would replace it with this https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor ... 985&ipos=4 if all you want is to meet the definition of "locked up" or with this https://zanottiarmor.com/product/z-2-6/ if you are even slightly concerned about security.

How do you cut without damaging the contents?
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7050 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: safe cracking

Postby rtk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
linksep wrote:Personally I would just start cutting, it's just sheet-metal formed around drywall to give the appearance of thickness and a false "fire rating" (I believe drywall emits corrosive vapors in a fire so your guns won't melt, but they'll still be ruined).

I would replace it with this https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor ... 985&ipos=4 if all you want is to meet the definition of "locked up" or with this https://zanottiarmor.com/product/z-2-6/ if you are even slightly concerned about security.

How do you cut without damaging the contents?
Attachments
ADC4DB17-0C68-4A06-9395-3C02E3D8291D.jpeg
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
User avatar
rtk
 
Posts: 2692 [View]
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am

Those hardly work on cans, much less a safe. :roll:
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 7050 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Re: safe cracking

Postby rtk on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Those hardly work on cans, much less a safe. :roll:


You must not be much of an operator then.....
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
User avatar
rtk
 
Posts: 2692 [View]
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:34 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby jeffo on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:28 am

Safe is open. The bottom bolt would not pull up enough to release door. We laid it on back and he drilled in bottom and pushed the bolt up to release door. The dial could not be replaced. He said if I would have turned it on the top the bolt might have moved enough to open door. Only $400 . What a deal.
jeffo
 
Posts: 123 [View]
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: safe cracking

Postby BigBlue on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Glad you got it open. Sucks that it was expensive. So is the safe salvageable or are you going to have to replace it?
BigBlue
 
Posts: 1579 [View]
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron