Defensive handgun training

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Defensive handgun training

Postby BoltActionAssault on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Who has some of the best defense handgun classes within a 2 hour drive from the metro?

I am skeptical of firearms instructors in general, and I have met more than a handful that are just looking to make some cash off of regurgitating the handful of videos they have watched on gun training.

Anyone with personal experience have opinions and recommendations they can share? I have very little free time, so I don't want to waste my time (or money for that matter) on classes that I will find myself walking away from feeling like half of the class was a waste of time.
BoltActionAssault
 
Posts: 17 [View]
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby Drizzle on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Wait until a nationally recognized trainer comes to Morristown or Monticello. Craig Douglas, John Farnham, someone certified to teach MAG 20 for example.

The two AR courses I took at Monticello were good; from a fellow who was the Wright Cty sheriff's instructor. I do remember not being a fan of his opposition to red dots, however...

I haven't seen anyone who is based here I'm interested in spending the money on. I know there are local instructors for things like carry permits that are good, but more complex courses seem to be based elsewhere; Ohio, Texas, Arkansas, for example.
User avatar
Drizzle
 
Posts: 558 [View]
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:13 am
Location: Como Park

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby Ironbear on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:30 am

You probably should state what level of training you need. Very little reason to get "nationally recognized trainer" level training if what you need is the fundamentals. Once the fundamentals are in place then more advanced training can take place far more efficiently.

For the fundamentals, if DonT is still training, I thought his classes were well worth the time and money.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
User avatar
Ironbear
 
Posts: 1917 [View]
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: A nondescript planet in the Milky Way galaxy

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:02 am

Ironbear wrote:You probably should state what level of training you need. Very little reason to get "nationally recognized trainer" level training if what you need is the fundamentals. Once the fundamentals are in place then more advanced training can take place far more efficiently.

For the fundamentals, if DonT is still training, I thought his classes were well worth the time and money.


Are you perhaps thinking of Don L ?

Don Larson is highly regarded.
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 7468 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby Ironbear on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am

xd ED wrote:Are you perhaps thinking of Don L ?

Don Larson is highly regarded.


:lol: My bad! Thanks for correction.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
User avatar
Ironbear
 
Posts: 1917 [View]
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: A nondescript planet in the Milky Way galaxy

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Ironbear wrote:
xd ED wrote:Are you perhaps thinking of Don L ?

Don Larson is highly regarded.


:lol: My bad! Thanks for correction.


That's not to say Don T isn't a good guy as well; nice guy, has interesting stuff to sell from time to time.
User avatar
xd ED
 
Posts: 7468 [View]
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Defensive handgun training

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:59 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ironbear wrote:
xd ED wrote:Are you perhaps thinking of Don L ?

Don Larson is highly regarded.


:lol: My bad! Thanks for correction.


That's not to say Don T isn't a good guy as well; nice guy, has interesting stuff to sell from time to time.

That he does.
User avatar
Holland&Holland
 
Posts: 8068 [View]
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am


Return to General Gun Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron