Who is good for changing barrel AR10

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Who is good for changing barrel AR10

Postby Erud on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:53 am

Take it to Markemp’s place, he seems to know a lot about guns.
Erud

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:17 pm

Ordered the aeroshell grease from Amazon. Thanks for the tip. KAK is sending me the wrench free to remove the barrel nut. Also ordered a vise piece that the upper locks into. When I get back home, will give it a try removing the barrel. Hope no issue. Then install the faxxon match barrel. Just hope I don’t screw something up being my first time doing this.
I wouldn’t take a BB gun over to that democrat house.
Bearcatrp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52 pm

How's it going?

Brownells just put up a new video on building an accurate upper.

Jackpine Savage

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:42 pm

Got home yesterday from my 2 weeks in Cozumel. All supplies I ordered before going on my trip are in. Now, am wondering if I should try the current barrel to see if it’s a good accurate one or just switch it to the faxon match barrel I bought. Believe it’s a green mountain barrel. Also, if I do change it, how much aeroshell grease should I use? Thanks for the video. Will check it out.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:57 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Got home yesterday from my 2 weeks in Cozumel. All supplies I ordered before going on my trip are in. Now, am wondering if I should try the current barrel to see if it’s a good accurate one or just switch it to the faxon match barrel I bought. Believe it’s a green mountain barrel. Also, if I do change it, how much aeroshell grease should I use? Thanks for the video. Will check it out.

A dab on the threads, a smear on the extension. I usually tighten and back off the barrel nut a few times getting tighter each time to seat the barrel then to torque spec on the last tighten.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:44 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Got home yesterday from my 2 weeks in Cozumel. All supplies I ordered before going on my trip are in. Now, am wondering if I should try the current barrel to see if it’s a good accurate one or just switch it to the faxon match barrel I bought. Believe it’s a green mountain barrel. Also, if I do change it, how much aeroshell grease should I use? Thanks for the video. Will check it out.

A dab on the threads, a smear on the extension. I usually tighten and back off the barrel nut a few times getting tighter each time to seat the barrel then to torque spec on the last tighten.

Thanks for the reply. I know about the 3 times tightening from watching the you tube videos. Wasn't sure on the grease. When you say dab, do i put a drop large enough to go around one time on the threads where I put the dab?
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am

Yah, I guess I normally just go by feel, I like to take a small maybe pea sized dab on my finger touch it to maybe three or four spots on the threads and smear a bit. Then using the nut and hands only screw down and back off you will feel the grease spread, not sure how to describe it but it will feel right.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:40 am

Well that went well. Got the new barrel on. 45 lbs torque seems light when torquing it down but thats what KAK said to do. Guess I will find out when I get it to the range if any issues crop up. If this works out good, will kick myself in the arse for not doing this sooner and saving some cash. Thanks for all the help.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:03 pm

Sucks when you forget to order a part. Didn't read the adjustable gas block carefully. Doesn't come with a roll pin. Can't believe it doesn't come with one. Oh well. Will wait on my order to complete the build.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Sucks when you forget to order a part. Didn't read the adjustable gas block carefully. Doesn't come with a roll pin. Can't believe it doesn't come with one. Oh well. Will wait on my order to complete the build.

Gas tube didn’t come with one? Or are you reusing the gas tube? That would make sense, typically it comes with the gas tube.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:38 pm

Torque wise they all seem to to be all over the board from 35 to 60. I am sure you could go a bit higher than 45 if you wanted but I would just stick with what the manufacturer recommends and if it shoots good call it good
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:37 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Sucks when you forget to order a part. Didn't read the adjustable gas block carefully. Doesn't come with a roll pin. Can't believe it doesn't come with one. Oh well. Will wait on my order to complete the build.

Gas tube didn’t come with one? Or are you reusing the gas tube? That would make sense, typically it comes with the gas tube.

Looked at midwayusa for what I ordered. The adjustable gas block states does not come with roll pins. Was on the last line in description. Not using the one that came with the upper. Same with the gas tube. Not in any hurry since weather is cold. Should be in by friday.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:40 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Torque wise they all seem to to be all over the board from 35 to 60. I am sure you could go a bit higher than 45 if you wanted but I would just stick with what the manufacturer recommends and if it shoots good call it good

I bumped it to 48 lbs. Watching that video posted, he states not to over torque. Did follow his recommendations when using the grease.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Finally got it together. Time for the range to break it in and see if I did it right or not.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

Fun times! Good luck.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat