This is so reassuring...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

This is so reassuring...

Postby phorvick on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:51 am

So, as many know, my background is (a) retired attorney; that (b) now teaches in a small rural school in NW Minnesota.

We had a meeting today with the local police on "lock down" procedures if an intruder were in the building. They assured the staff that they should be able to respond in about 10 minutes once they are called.

So, I asked. What happens during those ten minutes? Ans: You are on your own.

Well, that sure reassures me.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: This is so reassuring...

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:00 am

By the time hostile activities have commenced, which triggers the 911 call, you have already been on your own for several minutes.....
so what's 10 more minutes...................... :o

Remember, this too shall pass.................just CYA.......... ;)

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby rtk on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

I wonder how many show up at that time, 1 maybe 2 if it's your lucky day! I am certain that they are spred mighty thin in the outstate areas.

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32 pm

I am sure there will be one or two officers within a couple of minutes of the school, but the majority of the force would not be there for that time period. And then when the first two arrive do they take the bull by the horns and charge in to a scene where it is just them and try and go one way when some one could take them out from the other direction in the back.

It is like the school where i am working there are so many places for someone to shoot from if only a two man team went in. And i have a trauma plate that claims to stop high powered rifles but thats only in the front not the back. So i am sure they want to risk an officers life, for the sake of a couple of minutes.

And i am not sure about your school, but i have looked at the doors in the one i work and the glass has wire mess in it so it is really hard to break out, and you could not kick the door in as they are steel framed so the jamb will not give. So following a lock down the intruder would basically be confined to the hallways of the school. And we all know that in hollywood you can shoot out a lock which in theory is the same as drilling out a lock and the door will just open. But in real life it is not that easy.
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Ever hear of breaching charges, Aceq?? They're 12 gauge rounds specifically designed to take out door locks and HINGES, and you can buy them in at least three Rambo wanna-be mail order catalogs that they send out to anybody whose address they can get ahold of. Anybody that wants to take out a school to begin with will think at least that far in advance, and that's including kids that go there and want to "pull a Columbine".

Your saving grace, phorvick, is that you are located quite a few miles beyond where God left his overshoes when he made the world, and the boredom and monotony of getting to that part of the state would kill anybody who didn't have the patience to be a Minnezotan and listen to the two whole hours of a Pairie Home Companion to begin with.

BTW phorvick: You didn't by any chance follow that question up with a request to be able to carry in the school, did you?? It's legal in Minnesota to do that with the Superintendent's written permission, and I can't think of a better set-up to ask for that than the one you just described.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby phorvick on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:BTW phorvick: You didn't by any chance follow that question up with a request to be able to carry in the school, did you?? It's legal in Minnesota to do that with the Superintendent's written permission, and I can't think of a better set-up to ask for that than the one you just described.
I believe it is the Principal or person in day to day control.

In my school my guess is that the Principal would give permission. The glitch is that there is a new Supt. and he may not agree. It is not yet politically opportune to force that issue. There is a tad more to it at my school, but not for a public discussion forum.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby JonL on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:38 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:...
Your saving grace, phorvick, is that you are located quite a few miles beyond where God left his overshoes when he made the world, and the boredom and monotony of getting to that part of the state would kill anybody who didn't have the patience to be a Minnezotan and listen to the two whole hours of a Pairie Home Companion to begin with.

phorvick, Does that make you feel any better? :lol:
JonL

Postby Srigs on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 pm

I can't believe we have not taught a new paradigm called "Get the hell out of the school as fast as you can". IMHO in an active shooter this is the only correct response is go out windows other door or what ever it will take.
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby DeanC on Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:49 am

I'm with you there Srigs. Every step the kids take away from the school, the less likely they'll be hit by a bullet.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Thor on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 pm

I'm not so sure I believe in this lock-down crap. To me, that seems like it's making it easier for the perpetrator to shoot whomever they want at their leisure. Look at the VT shootings. Some kids jumped out the second story windows and escaped death. Others were herded into rooms, trying to keep Cho out and some were successful, some weren't.

As far as rural areas being a little safer, I have to wonder. Red Lake was "rural". A few of the other schools shootings were "rural". IMO, the more rural a school is, the longer it will take the local law enforcement agencies to get there. All the more reason to repeal the school gun free zone ******** and allow good people to carry.
Thor

Postby Ironbear on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:53 am

DeanC wrote:I'm with you there Srigs. Every step the kids take away from the school, the less likely they'll be hit by a bullet.
Aaaahhhhhh. Wasn't the original MO of Klebold and Harris, at Columbine, to set off bombs in the school and ambush people on the way out? Out the door and into an ambush may not be the best answer. I doubt that you could say with any certainty that one response would be better than another in any given situation.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby princewally on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:04 am

Sitting around waiting for the shooter CAN'T be a good plan.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby Ironbear on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:10 am

princewally wrote:Sitting around waiting for the shooter CAN'T be a good plan.
I think that's too general a statement to make with any certainty. It depends on the circumstances. If a classroom is reasonably hardened, with a lockable door, staying put may be better than breaking cover. If the classroom has the security potential of a wet paper sack, running might be the best option.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Thor on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:14 pm

lockable doors can work to the disadvantage of the teachers, students, and any other "official", too.
Thor

Return to General Gun Chat