I'm an ammoholic

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

I'm an ammoholic

Postby marko on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 pm

I can't stop buying ammo. I bought a neat little .22 and buy 100rds everytime I go to the store. I only shot about 50 rds through it, had so much fun, and now have about 2,000 rds. Since it could be a good month to really get to the range, I might end up an actuall ammo dump. Please don't save me or send help.
marko

Re: I'm an ammoholic

Postby Pat on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Just a thought. .22 ammo does not store all that well, unlike most centerfire stuff. Shoot it up!
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby elmerfuddem on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Pat wrote:Just a thought. .22 ammo does not store all that well, unlike most centerfire stuff. Shoot it up!

Never heard that about .22 ammo. I thought it lasted long time.

Please explain. I have some really old stuff.
"Hurrah, boys, we've got them! We'll finish them up and then go home to our station." Lt. Col G.A. Custer June 25, 1876.
elmerfuddem

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Start a poll on this forum asking how many total rounds (or components to load them) do each of us have at this time.

100 to 999

1,000 to 9,999

10,000 to 49,999

50,000 to 99,999

100,000 plus

would be good choices.

You may be surprised. Or not.

Of course, it should remain anonymous.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Yea, but 22 shells doesn't really qualify as ammo does it? I mean if a guy were to have 10,000 rounds of pistol ammo in various calibers I think that would be a nice start, but hardly 'alot'.

Add to that a thousand rounds of shotgun ammo and some rifle and heck, that guy could claim his little part of the world was reasonably guarded, should the bad guys show up.

But of course I don't know a guy like that!
mmcnx2

Postby Rodentman on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:49 pm

A coworker claims to have 110k rounds, 35k of which are 9mm.

I know him and I believe him.

I have only a couple thousand rounds total which I thought was plenty until it became scarce and now I want more and so does everyone else and we have a self-inflicted shortage. Oddly, I find myself shooting a fair amount of 5.7x28 because it is fun and supplies seem good. At least for now.
Rodentman

Postby Pat on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:13 pm

According to my father, the general rule was always to get all you can before the hoarders come...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Srigs on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:49 am

Pat wrote:According to my father, the general rule was always to get all you can before the hoarders come...

Very good rule :mrgreen:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby cobb on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:53 am

Pat wrote:According to my father, the general rule was always to get all you can before the hoarders come...

Are the hoarders expected to come soon? I just sold 1000 rounds, didn't know I was should have kept it because some will be hoarding it. :oops:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby s10trev on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 am

I was at Walmart in Blaine last night and they actually had 7 boxes of the 9mm WWB on the shelf. I bought 3 of them and left. I thought about what Pat said and went back in and bought the other 4 boxes. I didn't want some hoarder buying all that cheap ammo.
s10trev

Postby Veldy on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Pat wrote:Just a thought. .22 ammo does not store all that well, unlike most centerfire stuff. Shoot it up!

Some does, but a lot of it has copper that likes to corrode and turn green. Accuracy sucks once that happens. Dude should just buy a box of 550 Federal 22LR HP from Walmart. I think the box I bought was about $18 last fall. We don't shoot the 22 much, so it will last a bit. The top has exposed lead due to the fact it is a hollow point and I think the jacket is brass rather than pure copper, so it should store better. At that price ... just go shoot 200 rounds at a time anyway!

Hell,I have 3000 rounds of various ammo in safes, but the difference is that I loaded it :-) 2000 is a petty addiction ;-) Every now and again, a bunch of us get together, everybody gives me cases they have saved from their visits to the range, and in return, they shoot my ammo and my arsenal drops by 400 or 500 rounds, but take home all my cases + an extra 300 or 400 cases.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby marko on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:28 pm

I'll remain skeptical on that claim. In my Mausers, all I shoot is 1938-1941 ammo, never a hitch. Now .22 ammo with an enclosed primer is surely more resistant to the elements that would hurt a primer, right? The only Ammo I ever had a problem with is the VZ52 ammo that the whole and about only shpment from Czechloslovakia got wet. With rust and wet primers, about 60% go bang, had that been primerless rimfire, I'm sure it all would still fire.
marko

Postby mnglocker on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:31 pm

marko wrote:I'll remain skeptical on that claim. In my Mausers, all I shoot is 1938-1941 ammo, never a hitch. Now .22 ammo with an enclosed primer is surely more resistant to the elements that would hurt a primer, right? The only Ammo I ever had a problem with is the VZ52 ammo that the whole and about only shpment from Czechloslovakia got wet. With rust and wet primers, about 60% go bang, had that been primerless rimfire, I'm sure it all would still fire.

.22lr doesn't have the kind of crimp that you'll get with centerfire ammo. Unless it's in a dry box, I get failure rates of around 1-3% on bulk .22lr after 6months.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Veldy on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00 am

marko wrote:I'll remain skeptical on that claim. In my Mausers, all I shoot is 1938-1941 ammo, never a hitch. Now .22 ammo with an enclosed primer is surely more resistant to the elements that would hurt a primer, right? The only Ammo I ever had a problem with is the VZ52 ammo that the whole and about only shpment from Czechloslovakia got wet. With rust and wet primers, about 60% go bang, had that been primerless rimfire, I'm sure it all would still fire.

When my Dad died, I got a lot of old Federal 22LR ammunition. ALL of it had copper jackets on the bullet that had corroded and turned rough and green. It does age. The primers were fine and they fired alright although there were some feeding issues. My Wife didn't complain about accuracy any. I didn't shoot much of it to really say whether there were any fliers or not due to the corrosion. But the green corrosion could NOT be missed.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby Veldy on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:06 am

mnglocker wrote:.22lr doesn't have the kind of crimp that you'll get with centerfire ammo. Unless it's in a dry box, I get failure rates of around 1-3% on bulk .22lr after 6months.

Hmm ... I would definitely blame that on the gun unless you bought some particularly poor quality ammo. As I pointed out in a previous post, we were shooting very old ammo (Federal ... red box) and we have several failure to feeds, but no failure to fire. The feed issue was taken care of by racking the slide in most cases and rarely did a round get tossed. This is ammo with green copper corrosion all over the bullet. That ammunition was old when my Dad died in 2005 [which is when I got it] and it wasn't fired until about last November. It is almost certainly a decade old. Other than the corrosion causing the occasional feed problem, it fired fine.

So ... Gun or particular brand of ammo is my guess about your failure rates. We were using a High Standard (101) to shoot with and the gun was kept very clean and in great working order.
Veldy

Next

Return to General Gun Chat