Shooting range / area in Rum River State Forest

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Shooting range / area in Rum River State Forest

Postby Kagern on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:17 pm

I've read several posts about a shooting area in Rum River State Forest, dating back to 2009-ish. I would like to head up there, but I'm a bit unclear as to the location. Are the dirt piles at the end of Esker Trail/State Forest Rd. what people are generally referring to, or do most folks shoot in a different area?
Kagern

Re: Shooting range / area in Rum River State Forest

Postby Need4Speed on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Shot at Rum about a month ago, State forest road dead end. About 100 yards into a 30' or so wall of dirt. Plenty safe.
Need4Speed

Postby Pat on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Just a few minutes west of Onamia there is a nice gravel pit to shoot. I believe though that it is part of Kathio Start Forest.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby gunforhire on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Need4Speed wrote:Shot at Rum about a month ago, State forest road dead end. About 100 yards into a 30' or so wall of dirt. Plenty safe.

this. beware of others though. I know we used to climb that wall of dirt with our dirtbikes and 4 wheelers years ago. I spent alot of time up there as a kid and young adult
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby LaMereFish on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Need4Speed wrote:Shot at Rum about a month ago, State forest road dead end. About 100 yards into a 30' or so wall of dirt. Plenty safe.

Excellent information. Can I ask where is this dead end road you are talking about. I have never been to Rum River State Forest and I think this sounds like a great place to go shoot. Is it busy there? Are there signs leading to this dead end road or shooting range in general? I want to make a trip up there before the snow flies in a few weeks and would love to know where this is located.

Thanks

Michael
LaMereFish

Postby LaMereFish on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 am

Pat wrote:Just a few minutes west of Onamia there is a nice gravel pit to shoot. I believe though that it is part of Kathio Start Forest.

How far out of Onamia is this gravel pit? I've looked for it on Google Maps and couldn't find anything. Can you give more detailed directions to this site? Street names etc? Thanks for the information in advance.

Michael
LaMereFish

Postby FJ540 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 am

It's not very far West of 169 on the south side of the road. I've driven past it countless times, and even tried deer hunting in there one morning.

One part is listed police use, and they have it roped off. The rest of it I was told was public and to shoot till I ran out of ammo. There's a sign on the gate with the sheriffs number - called them and got their explicit blessing. You can probably get 200yds across the pit.

Looks like the first driveway on the south side of Hwy 27 west of Shakopee lake road. Just barely outside of Onamia.
FJ540

Postby LaMereFish on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the information. I looked on Google Maps and here is what I came up with using your directions.

Does that look correct? It's a little west of Shakopee road west outside of Onamia.

Again thank you very much for the information.

Michael
LaMereFish

Postby FJ540 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:22 pm

That's my best guess to where it is. I'll be headed back up this weekend, so I can double check for ya.
FJ540

Postby LaMereFish on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:03 pm

FJ540 wrote:That's my best guess to where it is. I'll be headed back up this weekend, so I can double check for ya.

That would be awesome. I think it's the place. From Google Earth it looks like a place to shoot. I can actually see the gravel/sand pit.

Thanks for looking for me. I am probably going to go up there in a couple of weeks to shoot.

Michael
LaMereFish

Postby FJ540 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:40 am

That's the place alright. It was too dark to see any signs when I drove past. Mightwant to call onamia PD to make sure it's still semi-public.
FJ540

Return to General Gun Chat