Indoor Gun range

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Indoor Gun range

Postby XDM45 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:58 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:
MN JIM wrote:Not to steal the thread but I am wondering what the going price per hour is for range time. Down here in Winona all we have is Gander In LaCrosse and that is $25/Hr.

Gander sucks. They won't even let you use hand loads...

I think that's a bit excessive for them to do that, but at the same time, they don't know you, trust you, or your hand loads. Perhaps it goes a different direction than trust though...... maybe they don't want people who are really into shooting, using their range. I don't know how they price it out there, but if it's by the hour and you for for 60 minutes and use less, then if they can get someone else on on that same hour, they make more money per hour. Whatever their reasoning, I don't care for it. Gander has always seemed expensive to me, so I just don't do business with them in any format.

I can understand ranges not wanting aluminum casings (such as Blazer), steel rounds or rounds over a certain fps, that all makes sense to me. In fact, one of my favorite rules is one of the main reasons I go to BPR - They don't rent guns.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby sgruenhagen44 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 pm

XDM45 wrote:
sgruenhagen44 wrote:
MN JIM wrote:Not to steal the thread but I am wondering what the going price per hour is for range time. Down here in Winona all we have is Gander In LaCrosse and that is $25/Hr.

Gander sucks. They won't even let you use hand loads...

I think that's a bit excessive for them to do that, but at the same time, they don't know you, trust you, or your hand loads. Perhaps it goes a different direction than trust though...... maybe they don't want people who are really into shooting, using their range. I don't know how they price it out there, but if it's by the hour and you for for 60 minutes and use less, then if they can get someone else on on that same hour, they make more money per hour. Whatever their reasoning, I don't care for it. Gander has always seemed expensive to me, so I just don't do business with them in any format.

I can understand ranges not wanting aluminum casings (such as Blazer), steel rounds or rounds over a certain fps, that all makes sense to me. In fact, one of my favorite rules is one of the main reasons I go to BPR - They don't rent guns.

All of what you have posted is true. But like you said... They don't know me and I don't know the other shooters. I can't even tell you how many times I have been swept at bills or how many times I have seen people load at the table. I used to be pretty discreet when talkin to people when they do this but now I find myself yelling. Screw it right? It's a gun range why compromise my safety and others? Be loud and clear!
sgruenhagen44

Postby XDM45 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 pm

sgruenhagen44 wrote:All of what you have posted is true. But like you said... They don't know me and I don't know the other shooters. I can't even tell you how many times I have been swept at bills or how many times I have seen people load at the table. I used to be pretty discreet when talkin to people when they do this but now I find myself yelling. Screw it right? It's a gun range why compromise my safety and others? Be loud and clear!

I have never been quiet about it. I have zero-tolerance for lack of proper safety and training when it comes to guns. I don't care about the other person...I care about myself not getting shot because they are an effen idiot, and I make no bones about it either. Am I an a-hole? No, I don't swear at them, but I am blunt and very direct about it. I've seen people load on the tables, sweep, etc. I see less of that at BPR, but then they don't cater to the RABS crowd either. There may be idiots with guns there, but at least they own them and should definitely know better. Probably the only way to truly be safer than not, is to purchase your own land in BFE and shoot on it. That's my next big goal.

I like Bill's for the gun selection and the fact I can "try before I buy", like the staff there, but many of the shooters are idiots. It's the place I rant about that has the "Rent-A-Boom-Stick Crowd". I believe most gun negligence is cause by people who are untrained in the proper care and use of firearms, but that doesn't mean that trained people can't make mistakes or have an ND.....there's just fare fewer of them happening by trained individuals. I like Bill's and the staff, but many of the customers scare the livin' you-know-what right out of me.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Ivan45 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Thank you, XDM45. I like to make extra sure someone knows how to use the boomstick before I send them out to the range :D And yes, there are PLENTY of people that worry me, like a guy with a DE .50 trying to rack the slide with it pointed directly to his left :shock: thankfully there was a brick wall there... he didn't even realize there was a round in the chamber :doh:
Ivan45

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm

For $25 at gander you get up to 3 people in the bay for up to 1 hour. They give you all the free, high quality targets you want and the range office is inside the range at all times and will give free instruction to newbies. It is a great place to take a novice but certainly there are more economical places to shoot. It has its place in the shooting community though.
Mn01r6

Postby XDM45 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Ivan45 wrote:Thank you, XDM45. I like to make extra sure someone knows how to use the boomstick before I send them out to the range :D And yes, there are PLENTY of people that worry me, like a guy with a DE .50 trying to rack the slide with it pointed directly to his left :shock: thankfully there was a brick wall there... he didn't even realize there was a round in the chamber :doh:

SCARY!!!!!
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Indoor Gun range

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I had some old coot that worked at Gander tell me that I was "shooting the gun too fast", and "nobody ever needs to shoot a gun that fast". I left before my session was over and haven't been back since. He was a complete moron.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat