Short rant re: Bill's

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Short rant re: Bill's

Postby Randygmn on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Sorcerer wrote:IF they were regular customers they would have known that the Shooter show was going on this weekend and they would have known that there is never open lanes during the Shooters show. As far as the heat, before they added the extra heaters you had very cold air blowing form behind. If this is all it takes to put a bee in your bonnet........makes it easyer for me to get a lane later.

I said the heat was the last straw. I was taking the high road in not listing my specific list of grievances. And even after the goading from you, I'll continue to refrain. But, I'll say, the things that upset me about bills are not unique to me. You can have any lane you'd like. I paid my yearly membership at a facility that is much better run, has excellent air quality with customers that care to know and respect the range's safety rules.
Randygmn

Postby Rodentman on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:01 pm

I haven't been to Bills in a long time. I feel comfortable at BPR and it is a lot closer.
Rodentman

Postby Glenn_S on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I and my son also got hung out to dry. It would not have been difficult to put something on their website indicating the hours change and that no personal weapons were allowed. So I had to lock our weapons, including my carry weapon in the truck, which didn't please me after waiting for 45 minutes.

Someone said that any regular shooters should know the rules about the show. Well, I don't have a range pass and wasn't around for last year's show. How the hell was I supposed to know? Too many times, these stores just assume that everyone has been going there for years, and damn well better know the rules.

We had planned to do some shooting ($$) walk the show and maybe see what might tickle our fancy for a purchase ($$). None of that happened and my dollars stayed in my pocket. Poor business decisions, IMHO that likely cost them a lot of money. Let's face it, these shows are for window shopping and likely generate very few sales.

Oh well...went to BPR, which is closer to home anyway.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Glenn_S wrote:We had planned to do some shooting ($$) walk the show and maybe see what might tickle our fancy for a purchase ($$). None of that happened and my dollars stayed in my pocket. Poor business decisions, IMHO that likely cost them a lot of money. Let's face it, these shows are for window shopping and likely generate very few sales.

Oh well...went to BPR, which is closer to home anyway.

Sorry to say I doubt if they missed your ($$) believe me when I tell you there are more guns sold on a shooters show day than any other day of the year.

An as for the employees not giving everyone that walks in the door a hug, most people have no idea what it's like to try to manage as many customers as bills employees are tasked with. Sure many could do a better job, but for the incentives you are given its hard not to get burned out fast.

Ask me how I know this..
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby jshuberg on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Sorry to hear you were inconvenienced. Honestly though, if you knew that their annual vendor show was happening, it's kind of common sense that it's not going to be business as usual. Like when a restaurant is reserved for a wedding party or something. If you didn't know about the event, it's not like they kept it a secret from you. It's been well advertised, and if you've ever purchased anything or rented a lane in the past and provided your email address, you would have gotten an email about the show.

Yeah, I'm sure that some people who showed up genuinely didn't know about the show, but go get all upset about it and start a thread complaining about how terrible it was to be so inconvenienced just really comes off as petty. Either that or I'm really envious of your life.

Just sayin'....
Last edited by jshuberg on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Slayer_MN1 wrote:
Sorry to say I doubt if they missed your ($$) believe me when I tell you there are more guns sold on a shooters show day than any other day of the year.

An as for the employees not giving everyone that walks in the door a hug, most people have no idea what it's like to try to manage as many customers as bills employees are tasked with. Sure many could do a better job, but for the incentives you are given its hard not to get burned out fast.

Ask me how I know this..

If they don't miss his money they are dumber than I thought, every sale is important, you never know if they will become the best customer ever.

And I don't want your freaking hug, but you darn well better treat me with respect or I'm gone.

Lastly, what does incentives have to do with your stress level, if your burned out you need to get your head bolted on straight and try life in a real stressful job. Come on it is retail, it is about a half a step above asking if you want fries with that. Oh and in most cases McD has better service.
mmcnx2

Postby Glenn_S on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Every sale and every customer is important. You never know what their ability to purchase is.

Or their willingness to walk away.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby Eleanor08 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm

No dog in this fight, but JMO.

If I was the manager there, and came out and saw people lined up to shoot on a day the lanes where closed to public shooting. I would have walked outside, told the folks the situation, told them where Bill's in Circle pines is, and then handed everyone a free range pass…

That right there would have made every single one of those people "Bill's biggest fan"….

Just saying, the best advertisement is word of mouth from a friend who is completely sold on the place..

Did Bills do something wrong? No
Could they have done it better? Yes
Am I being a Monday morning quarterback? Yes...
Eleanor08

Postby JFettig on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:52 pm

Lots of people had lots of fun shooting other peoples guns and paying no range fees the past 3 days :mrgreen:
JFettig

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:
Slayer_MN1 wrote:
If they don't miss his money they are dumber than I thought, every sale is important, you never know if they will become the best customer ever.

And I don't want your freaking hug, but you darn well better treat me with respect or I'm gone.

Lastly, what does incentives have to do with your stress level, if your burned out you need to get your head bolted on straight and try life in a real stressful job. Come on it is retail, it is about a half a step above asking if you want fries with that. Oh and in most cases McD has better service.

Firstly, what does stress level have to do with what I said? And for the record, I'm not saying that they shouldn't treat every potential customer like they are their best. This is the way I always tried to conduct myself and it often resulted in bringing someone from the point of just browsing too spending their hard earned dollars. One occasion a gentleman came to the shop and wasn't planning on buying anything that day, just inquiring about what I thought would be a good rifle for hog hunting as he was thinking about going, he left with a Barrett M82A1 set up w/optics, ammo, etc., an MIA Socom II with extra mags ammo and an Eotech, along with cleaning supplies, cases and the whole nine yards. Ended up being my biggest sale ever at nearly $20k all because I was friendly and struck up a conversation with a guy that was being ignored. The fact that there is no benefit to doing a better job or going the extra mile while answering the same stupid questions all day long (IE; do you got a 'stended clip fo my hi point?) is a big part of why their employees are jaded. I didn't mean that the job is so difficult that it will give you a mental breakdown, but it doesn't help when an employer has the mind set that you are replaceable, so why should I pay you more? I worked there for almost two years and in that time period I became the third most senior employee on the sales floor and now a short time later the other two are gone as well, and in that time saw dozens come and go. There is a reason why the turn around is so high.

BTW here is a hug for knowing so much about working at McDonalds. You get a gold star.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby LePetomane on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:55 am

Slayer_MN1 wrote:Ask me how I know this..

OK, I'll bite.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby cobb on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 am

I am in Mankato, have my own range and do training at Vantage Point Range in Kasota, so am not really familiar Bill's although I have shot at 3 of their ranges and BPR. I am curious about this statement though.
connsolo wrote:... Why? Because they failed to inform me, because they made me waste my time and gas, because they inconvenienced me, because they could have avoided it by making the smallest effort...

How do you feel they should have informed you?
I am curious because when I use to do the memberships for Key Citied Conservation Club in the Mankato area members would say the same thing to me in certain situation although it may be an annual event, advertised in the club newsletter, printed on their membership card, etc.

A good suggestion is always appreciated, so I ask.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby connsolo on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:53 am

cobb wrote:I am in Mankato, have my own range and do training at Vantage Point Range in Kasota, so am not really familiar Bill's although I have shot at 3 of their ranges and BPR. I am curious about this statement though.
connsolo wrote:... Why? Because they failed to inform me, because they made me waste my time and gas, because they inconvenienced me, because they could have avoided it by making the smallest effort...

I am curious because when I use to do the memberships for Key Citied Conservation Club in the Mankato area members would say the same thing to me in certain situation although it may be an annual event, advertised in the club newsletter, printed on their membership card, etc.

I am not a member so if thee was an email I didn't get it. As stated in previous posts, they could have posted a sign on the door, and an employee could have told the 8 people (more at the other entrance) waiting to get in when he saw them lined up an hour before the revised opening time. That's a failure in my book. I would have seen the sign, kicked myself, and gone to circle pines. Instead I drove to bpr.
connsolo

Postby cobb on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 am

connsolo wrote:
cobb wrote:I am in Mankato, have my own range and do training at Vantage Point Range in Kasota, so am not really familiar Bill's although I have shot at 3 of their ranges and BPR. I am curious about this statement though.

I am not a member so if thee was an email I didn't get it. As stated in previous posts, they could have posted a sign on the door, and an employee could have told the 8 people (more at the other entrance) waiting to get in when he saw them lined up an hour before the revised opening time. That's a failure in my book. I would have seen the sign, kicked myself, and gone to circle pines. Instead I drove to bpr.

Understood, but you still would have wasted your time and gas as you posted earlier. I would assume that there would be signs up to advertise, especially on the doors a few weeks prior to the event.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby brad3579 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 am

Here is a copy of their website posting, the hours of operation for the event look pretty clear on it.
Back before the day of complaining on internet forums every time a business doesn't do things perfectly, a person might have talked face to face with the manager on duty about how they were unhappy and probably would have received a range pass or two for their inconvenience.

2014 SHOOTER SHOW!
Save the date: April 4, 5, & 6, 2014!
Held at Bill's Gun Shop & Range in Robbinsdale,
4080 West Broadway Avenue, Robbinsdale, MN 55422

Meet with Rep’s from our major manufacturers
and try their guns & products on our range for FREE!
Machine Rentals available!
FREE prizes and giveaways ALL weekend!
Silent Auctions, Drawings, and Raffles benefitting our charities: Wishes & More, and Shot for Hope!

Friday, April 4, 2014 10am -8pm
Saturday, April 5,2014 10am -8pm
Sunday, April 6, 2014 10am -5pm
brad3579

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat