NRA Long Range Competition (F Class)

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: NRA Long Range Competition (F Class)

Postby minnesotatv on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 pm

So, did you go? Did you have a good time? Are you coming back tomorrow with a rifle?

XDEd, how about you?[/quote]

were you the sling shooter that posted the 200-8x?
minnesotatv

Postby Erud on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Yep, that was me.
Erud

Postby xd ED on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:55 pm

I got sidetracked and couldn't get away.
Just got home from a long day.

Nice shooting Erik.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:09 am

MinnesotaTV,
Did you shoot the match?
Erud

Postby Erud on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:48 am

xd ED wrote:I got sidetracked and couldn't get away.
Just got home from a long day.

Nice shooting Erik.

Thanks Ed. I took a picture of that target when I got down to the pits. It was a brand new face, so the only pasters on it were from my string. I haven't shot a lot of 200's at 1k with the .308, I think that was probably only the 3rd time. I was pretty happy with it.

Just to keep me humble, local Prone shooting legend Stacy Tamulinas shot a 200-14x right next to me on the next string. :o That should be a new MN state record. I hope to shoot like Stacy when I grow up.
Erud

Postby minnesotatv on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:59 am

Erud wrote:
Thanks Ed. I took a picture of that target when I got down to the pits. It was a brand new face, so the only pasters on it were from my string. I haven't shot a lot of 200's at 1k with the .308, I think that was probably only the 3rd time. I was pretty happy with it.

Just to keep me humble, local Prone shooting legend Stacy Tamulinas shot a 200-14x right next to me on the next string. :o That should be a new MN state record. I hope to shoot like Stacy when I grow up.

Congrats to both you and Stacy.
minnesotatv

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:09 am

Erud wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Anyone going to the competition this saturday in Harris? Starts at 9am.

So it looks like it's just me. Are YOU going?

Yep, if the weather holds out. Will be my 1st. Just to observe and learn.

So, did you go? Did you have a good time? Are you coming back tomorrow with a rifle?[/quote]

Unfortunately no. Was so pumped up to go too. After reading the schedule, am bummed I couldn't make it. Was unaware this was a 2 day event. NRA site only mentioned yesterday.
Bearcatrp

Postby Erud on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 am

Use this link for the local match schedule, it'll be more accurate than the NRA page:

http://mrra.org/hipower.htm
Erud

Postby RAGGED on Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Just got a email from a good buddy of mine, guess he and his Dasher did pretty good this weekend, congrats Mike!
RAGGED

Postby plink on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Is anyone going to the event this weekend in Elk River? I'm not sure what to expect on this. Any tips for showing up as a spectator or just go?
plink

Postby LumberZach on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:26 am

What kind of equipment would you need to go out and do this? Is there a link somewhere? I would love to get into this, but I am not sure how to start.
LumberZach

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:54 am

I'm not an F-Trooper, but as no one else seems to want to answer the questions, I'll give it a try.

The best advice to learn more about F-Class would be to show up and ask questions. Competitive shooters, for the most part, are good guys and are eager to bring new people into the sport.

Here's the link for the match program: http://www.mrra.org/downloads/elk_river/2014_F-Class_Championship.pdf If you have specific questions, the Match Director's name and email address are listed.

Remember to be respectful and not a distraction when the shooting starts. This is a championship match and things are taken a bit more seriously when firing begins.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby LumberZach on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:25 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I'm not an F-Trooper, but as no one else seems to want to answer the questions, I'll give it a try.

The best advice to learn more about F-Class would be to show up and ask questions. Competitive shooters, for the most part, are good guys and are eager to bring new people into the sport.

Here's the link for the match program: http://www.mrra.org/downloads/elk_river/2014_F-Class_Championship.pdf If you have specific questions, the Match Director's name and email address are listed.

Remember to be respectful and not a distraction when the shooting starts. This is a championship match and things are taken a bit more seriously when firing begins.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will take your advice and just attend a few matches. I am really interested in these matches, but it seems like it isn't easy to get started in.
LumberZach

Postby xd ED on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 am

Here's a few basic rules:

OFFICIAL F-CLASS RULES

F-Class has two categories: F-T/R & F-Open.
Both are fired from the prone position.
Briefly, the rules are as follows:

F-T/R

Caliber limited to .223 or .308 (unmodified).
Sling and/or bipod allowed.
Rifle weight limit of 8.25 kgs (approx. 18.18 lbs).

For more information on FTR rules and shooting, please visit the U.S. FTR Team's website at http://www.usftrclass.com/home.htm

F-Open

Caliber limit of .35 and under.
Rifle weight of 10 kgs (approx. 22 lbs.).
Adjustable front rest allowed.
Rear bag allowed.
Rail guns not allowed.
3" wide forend.
Rifle must be shouldered when fired.
Tables are prohibited.

For precise F-class rules, please visit the NRA website at http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf

http://www.usfclass.com/rules.aspx

http://www.chuckhawks.com/f-class_shooting.htm
Here's a primer on the topic. It's informative, but I don't think one needs to jump into jump into like the author describes, rifle-wise to at least experience the sport.

I'm no expert, but have been moving towards getting into FT/R.

Observing this match would be informative as far as how a match is conducted. But as RVP says the shooters will be pretty focused on what's going on.
Though it is a private club, and other than tournaments, it is members/ guests only shooting, most Thursday afternoons/ nights there is an informal gathering of F-Class shooters at the Gopher range near Harris.
I've been there a few times and found it to be interesting and informative. I suspect an observer with reasoned questions would be welcome.
Last edited by xd ED on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby PhilaBOR on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 am

I went to a couple weekly shoots at Elk River a few years ago. IIRC, there were about 20 shooters on their known distance (KD) range. We shot at 300 and 600 yards. Lots of bolt guns, I assume 308 and 6mm variants were popular. Big scopes. Fancy adjustable fore-end supports with screw jacks.

Very friendly people who took time to show me the deal. They didn't even say anything mean about my 308 AR and camo drag bag.

Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat