Gun Safe

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Gun Safe

Postby my1stpistol on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 am

UnaStamus wrote:Whichever size safe you think you need, buy one or two sizes larger. Seriously. You will run out of space faster than you think. Once I got a safe, my wife proceeded to deposit a lot of documents and artifacts in there.

She has already spoke of this so its being accounted for. I'm looking for a safe that can hold 8-12 long guns( I only own 3 ), several pistols and some ammo cans along with her stuff.
my1stpistol

Postby grimbeaver on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:04 am

It's just like insurance. You gotta evaluate your risk vs cost. I ended up with a Browning HW34 that cost me $1850 + $275 delivery from the store (Manny's Piano Movers). At least I think that's what I paid, plus at the time Browning was running a sales tax mail in rebate. In the end the flexibility of the Browning interior is what sold me on it vs other brands but it was also about what I wanted to spend. For me over $2000 was more than I wanted to spend but I did not want something cheap either so that's what I settled on. I had Capra's in Blaine order it for me on their yearly stocking order so I didn't pay any freight. Though I could not see it before I ordered it, it was very similar to the Sporter 33 which he stocks in the store. So I had a pretty good idea what I was getting.

On a side note personally I don't trust the electronic locks to keep working forever. I got a mechanical and it was cheaper. In my experience everyone that does not have a mechanical will tell you they take so long to open and to get an electronic. But the people that have them will tell you that you will get fast at it. I open mine 3-4 times a week and I do not regret getting the mechanical lock.
grimbeaver

Postby my1stpistol on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 pm

I think I'm with you on the electronic locks. I won't need to access it very often so the mechanical lock doesn't bother me at all. In fact I would prefer it.
my1stpistol

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm the opposite on the locks. I got electronic this time on the advice of the safe company saying I would use it more often if it was easily accessible and we do. Previous safe would end op with stuff on the top waiting for the next time I was going in there. This is quick and easy and everything that should go in does and things I normally would not have put in for PITA reasons now does go in. Went big and I get half of 42 gun safe and the other half has all kinds of files, jewelry etc.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby goosed on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:03 pm

Short version: pros and cons to each type of lock, but regardless of which style you prefer please spend a little more up front to get a good lock. It's money well spent in my opinion!

Long story: Cheap electronic locks will fail! It's really only a matter of time and from personal experience I've learned some companies will not send you a replacement door(looking at you Cannon) if the lock smith has to drill through the door because your lock failed. Personally, S&G locks are my preference now, but any group 2 mechanical dial or group 1 keypad should last a life time. Having a locksmith do some maintenance every 5-10 yrs is still a good idea though.

The other side of the coin is when I bought my current safe reliability was paramount(due to above hassles) so the extra 5 seconds to open the safe vs a keypad doesn't bother me in the least as dials are simply less prone to failures. However, in hindsight the one thing I didn't consider and I wish I would have; is that most keypad locks, even the cheap one I used to own, have an autolock feature that will lock the door upon closing. No such thing on a mechanical lock. If you forget to turn the dial or handle your safe sits unlocked providing zero safety. Giving up a little reliability would have been worth it to me in hind sight; to know my safe is locked even when I'm a bone head and forget to lock it.

Side Note: may be worth while check with your home insurance company. My insurance allowed me to add the safe and it's contents to my current home policy for free as long as the price of the safe was >10% of the value I wanted to claim for the contents.
goosed

Postby linksep on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:48 pm

goosed wrote:Side Note: may be worth while check with your home insurance company. My insurance allowed me to add the safe and it's contents to my current home policy for free as long as the price of the safe was >10% of the value I wanted to claim for the contents.

And did you have to declare contents up front or only in the event of a loss?
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby goosed on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:40 am

linksep wrote:And did you have to declare contents up front or only in the event of a loss?

I had to provide a copy of sales receipt up front which established maximum content value. Actual content value and inventory list to be declared in event of loss.
goosed

Postby my1stpistol on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Does anyone keep their safe in an insulated but not climate controlled garage?

And what precautikns are taken to prevent moisture,? Simple dehumidifer sufficent?

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
my1stpistol

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Personally, I would not keep guns in a garage safe.

For long term, semi-permanent storage it might be an acceptable location to store concealed, and preserved guns. But taking a cold firearm (or anything else) into a heated area like a house is going to immediately coat the object with condensesed water vapor. Further, the air in garages tends to be a bit humid, and corrosive; auto exhaust, salt water puddles, salt dust in the air will not make for a safe environment for gun metal.
Not to mention, I'm pretty sure garages in general are burglarized far more frequently than houses.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby my1stpistol on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:30 pm

Those were initial thoughts as well. I'm stuck between a few dif safes right now. Some I can get in the room id like to with no issues. Others not so much.

my1stpistol

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Something worth looking at would be a Zanotti Armor Modular Safe.
The largest piece of their largest safe- a 72" H x 40"W x 30" D safe, is the door at 72" x 40" x ~6", weighing ~175#.
There's quite a wait time; ~ 8 mos, but you could assemble one anywhere in your home you have the floor space of the footprint.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Gun Safe

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:30 pm

my1stpistol wrote:Does anyone keep their safe in an insulated but not climate controlled garage?

And what precautikns are taken to prevent moisture,? Simple dehumidifer sufficent?

A buddy of mine did and had no rust issues. Just a golden rod.
gun_fan111v2

Postby BigBlue on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:28 pm

LarryFlew wrote:I'm the opposite on the locks. I got electronic this time on the advice of the safe company saying I would use it more often if it was easily accessible and we do. Previous safe would end op with stuff on the top waiting for the next time I was going in there. This is quick and easy and everything that should go in does and things I normally would not have put in for PITA reasons now does go in. Went big and I get half of 42 gun safe and the other half has all kinds of files, jewelry etc.

I'm in agreement here. My first safe was a manual lock that required a key. My second has an electronic lock. That one is way easier to use and gets much more use.
BigBlue

Postby Randygmn on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:54 pm

One last point, this is a legacy purchase. With that in mind, the upfront costs don't seem so extreme knowing that they safe will certainly outlive you and anyone who may inherit it from you.
Randygmn

Postby my1stpistol on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:02 am

Randygmn wrote:One last point, this is a legacy purchase. With that in mind, the upfront costs don't seem so extreme knowing that they safe will certainly outlive you and anyone who may inherit it from you.

I have to keep telling myself this. Some day my son will have and use it.
my1stpistol

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat